Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

No Bow Year

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

No Bow Year

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Well, this is looking like it will be the first year in many (25+) that I won’t be hunting with stick n string, at all. ID wilderness rifle tag (last two weeks in SEP) and just rifle tags in WA (went all modern in WA due to overlap of archery elk and the ID tag). It’ll be weird but actually looking forward to the departure from my norm. Anybody else keeping their bow in its case all hunting season this year?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: No Bow Year

Postby wawhitey » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Im pretty much doing the opposite. Usually primarily a rifle guy, but ill be pretty much exclusively archery this year, with the possible exception of a few days of modern firearm elk.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lsb » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

This year my youngest is old enough to hunt everything. So both daughters and the wife are hunting. We've got a pile of tags. We live off game meat so I usually gun a deer and a couple antelope to fill out the freezer. With those three on the trigger I can go back to more bowhunting and not need to kill to make sure we have enough meat. I'm pretty excited
Lsb

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

About the only chance I will go with a rifle is if I draw a Premium Tag. That is a long shot, but someone will win one of those tags for every unit for both deer and elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Had to give up the bow this year due to a shoulder injury. I'll be using the crossbow if I'm lucky enough to draw any tags.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 05 21, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Good thing you have the 308 dialed in, RJ. I have apps in for archery and rifle, waiting PATIENTLY :roll: for the CO draw in 2 weeks.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2018 •  [Post 7]

No matter the hunting style I prefer using a bow for elk. Maybe if I drew a cow tag I would use a rifle.
Maybe some year Ill hunt a rifle season after I kill an elk during archery season.
Most of our red meat is wild game,.. Were down to about 10 lbs of goose sausage, and 15 lbs of deer.
Ive used my deer tag for archery just in case I see a fair buck, and my daughter likes messing with deer a bit too much. But this year I may trade in my elk and deer tags if I dont kill during the archery season.

This being retired changes the whole game 8-)
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby lamrith » 05 21, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I will be split a bit this year depending on draws. WA I drew MS deer tag, my applications for elk are all Archery. So will start with archery on both and role to modern if not having any luck. I am also putting in for Modern AZ deer since I struck out on Elk.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Navesgane » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Looks like I'll be doing just the opposite unless I draw my CO 2nd rifle tag. CO antelope, otc elk archery and AZ MD are certain so far.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby pointysticks » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 10]

this year i'm NERVOUS about bow season.

i made the switch to a left handed bow this year. it feels like brand new starting over stuff. i need to hurry.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby lamrith » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 11]

pointysticks wrote:this year i'm NERVOUS about bow season.

i made the switch to a left handed bow this year. it feels like brand new starting over stuff. i need to hurry.

WOW, that is a significant change, not sure I could shoot a bow lefty. Care to share what prompted such a big change?
100Gr. G5 montecs

lamrith

Postby pointysticks » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 12]

lamrith wrote:

WOW, that is a significant change, not sure I could shoot a bow lefty. Care to share what prompted such a big change?

long story: my mom messed me up :) summary- Asian moms feel being left handed is a handicap and forced me to change when i was a tiny kid.

short version: i am strongly left eye dominate. and recently my right eye has been weakening. for fun, i use to end my bow range sessions with a few arrows shot at the 100 yard target. i was getting fairly decent. i cant even see pins+100yard bullseye anymore.

my left eye is fantastic. pins are clear! target clear!!
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 13]

my brother drew unit 51 NM - ELK!! i will go with a bear tag in my pocket. i need to get this left thing done!
pointysticks

Postby lamrith » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 14]

pointysticks wrote:
lamrith wrote:

long story: my mom messed me up :) summary- Asian moms feel being left handed is a handicap and forced me to change when i was a tiny kid.

short version: i am strongly left eye dominate. and recently my right eye has been weakening. for fun, i use to end my bow range sessions with a few arrows shot at the 100 yard target. i was getting fairly decent. i cant even see pins+100yard bullseye anymore.

I feel yah! I was ambidextrous up thru 1st grade. Teacher insisted it was unhealthy and bad for my development, so forced me to choose one day without telling my parents. I ended up writing left handed because I had a tetnus shot in the right arm the day before. But I do pretty much everything else right handed, throwing, shooting, etc, etc..
100Gr. G5 montecs

lamrith

Postby pointysticks » 05 23, 2018 •  [Post 15]

lamrith wrote:
pointysticks wrote:
lamrith wrote:

I feel yah! I was ambidextrous up thru 1st grade. Teacher insisted it was unhealthy and bad for my development, so forced me to choose one day without telling my parents. I ended up writing left handed because I had a tetnus shot in the right arm the day before. But I do pretty much everything else right handed, throwing, shooting, etc, etc..

hopefully you are right eye dominant?
pointysticks

Postby lamrith » 05 23, 2018 •  [Post 16]

pointysticks wrote:
lamrith wrote:
pointysticks wrote:
lamrith wrote:

hopefully you are right eye dominant?

Yeah I am.
100Gr. G5 montecs

lamrith

Postby Elkduds » 05 24, 2018 •  [Post 17]

There it is, eye dominance! I'll bet PS gets good w shooting left-eyed, faster and easier than expected. Welcome to the lefty world!

I am right eyed, left handed. I shoot long guns, bow rightie. Handgun left handed while sighting w right eye. Tennis, baseball, golf, bowling lefty. Shoot pool right-haded. I pity the fools who tried to teach me sports.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby pointysticks » 05 25, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Elkduds wrote:There it is, eye dominance! I'll bet PS gets good w shooting left-eyed, faster and easier than expected. Welcome to the lefty world!

I am right eyed, left handed. I shoot long guns, bow rightie. Handgun left handed while sighting w right eye. Tennis, baseball, golf, bowling lefty. Shoot pool right-haded. I pity the fools who tried to teach me sports.

omg..i almost needed a sketch to follow that. glad you got it all plumbed up!! :)
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 05 25, 2018 •  [Post 19]

what blows my mind:

there are some people in the world that do NOT know what eye is dominant? even shooters!

i think i was 4 years old and i realized something with up with each eye. i used to play a game..i would take a spot (i.e. bugsplatter) on the car windshield (or any window) and pretend it was a gun sight to some magic laser or missile launcher..i would pretend to aim at distant targets. i noted the sight moved dependent on which eye was using. i had ZERO clue that was my eye dominance coming into play. but i knew something was up.
pointysticks

Postby Lefty » 05 25, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Elkduds wrote:There it is, eye dominance! I'll bet PS gets good w shooting left-eyed, faster and easier than expected. Welcome to the lefty world!

I can pick up a fork with either hand.
Write left handed,
shoot a long gun left,
bow right,
hockey stick left
bat right,
right eye dominate sometimes :roll:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H