Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

you gear freaks. can i recommend a Cheap knife?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

you gear freaks. can i recommend a Cheap knife?

Postby pointysticks » 11 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

my regular knife is an Alpha wolf from KOA. it is pretty good. you dull it horribly, the D2 tool steel is difficult to get back.

i wanted a high carbon steel knife. easy to sharpen, and will get a razor's edge. i have some high carbon kitchen knives and a butchers blade. no issue running them on a steel every once in awhile to keep the edge.

i found one, and it is stupid cheap. so cheap, i bought two to try out. one for my brother. i got the Mora companion knife. the thing is so sharp right out of the packaging. i took a chicken apart in the kitchen and ran it over my kitchen steel. three swipes on each side. you know what? i bet that edge rivals a broadhead edge. i stuffed it back into the sheath and put it into my pack. the knife was $15!! i can hammer a $15 blade thru a pig sternum with a rock..

if i get a hog to stay still enough for one of my arrows, i will report on the field worthyness. i suspect it will be a great utility knife. nothing i have to worry about abusing.

the sheath is goofy. i need to get a new one made, but i refuse to have a sheath worth more than the actual knife...so more than likely it will never happen.
Attachments
7y9e2y3e.jpg
7y9e2y3e.jpg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: you gear freaks. can i recommend a Cheap knife?

Postby LckyTylr » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Good heads up. I dig it!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby tracker12 » 11 06, 2012 •  [Post 3]

The outdoor edge Fish & blone folding fillet knife is my go to knife. Light, sharpe and easily to trhow an edge on it. Great for boning out your bug game animal.

http://www.outdooredge.com/PhotoDetails ... =Fish-Bone
tracker12

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 08, 2012 •  [Post 4]

As many of you might know, I make my own custom knives. So you might figure that I'm pretty particular about my knives. I use mine for nothing but working on game.

But I have always wanted just a beat around camp knife to do the task that I would never use my custom knife for. I did alot of searching and reading about the Mora knife like Pointy is talking about. The only negative comments were that the spine of the blade is rough. So, I figured I could remedy that with a little file work. But the one I just recieved in the mail wasn't all that bad at all. I'll probably just forget about the file work.

It just blows my mind how they can produce a knife of this quality for only $15 bucks. I shaved the hair off my arm with mine right out of the box. And I wouldn't be a bit afraid to quarter an elk with it just the way it comes from the factory.

For an every day camp or bushcraft knife, you would find the Mora Companion hard to beat!! Did I mention only $15 bucks? LOL!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 11 08, 2012 •  [Post 5]

WW!!! if you ever get around to make a sheath for yours...let me know how much..hahahha.

what is the downside to the rough spine? that is the side you rub on flint sticks correct? does it need to be smooth? mine could be much smoother.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 11, 2012 •  [Post 6]

http://www.beebeknives.com/html/make_a_ ... orial.html

Just for you Pointysticks! Follow the instructions in the link I posted here and you will have a great leather sheath for your Mora. But don't be suprized if the leather doesn't cost more than your knife. LOL! Personally, I kind of like the plastic/kydex, or what ever it is, sheath that came with my knife.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics