Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Early season socks

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Early season socks

Postby Navesgane » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

What do you all use for early season socks? I like lightweight wool myself but have had bad luck with my toes punching thru after a few hard days with them. After going thru a pricey pair of Icebreaker and smart wool, I bought a cheap pair on Amazon figuring they couldn't be any worse than the short-lived expensive pair. Well they ended up being my favorite and longest lasting pair so far. They are a blend and I think the put the more robust fibers on the heel and toe area. I don't know how many miles I have on them but I ordered another pair and have been skiing, hiking and running with them and for as thin as they are they're actually very warm.
Lorpen Athletic Liner Merino Wool - Black - M; Comes with a Helicase Sock Ring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TY81JX?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Re: Early season socks

Postby Elkduds » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have light and medium Lorpen merino blend sox from WT sponsor Camofire. Very durable and comfortable, also priced right. I even wear them @ the office in winter.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Tigger » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have a ton of Smartwool and have never wore a pair out yet. Do you sharpen your toenails? :lol: :?: :shock:
Tigger

Postby six » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Sock ring? What will they think of next?
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Brendan » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Darn Tough Wool. Lifetime guarantee. Come in many different styles. I have lightweight pairs for running shoes, all the way through the pairs I use for hunting.

https://darntough.com/collections/mens-hunting
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Early in the season, I wear my everyday socks that my wife bought. They can be wool or wool blend. I am not too fussy early in the season. Later I want a good wool sock, and may even go to two pairs. I have quite a few pairs of Cabelas and Wigwam socks.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Navesgane » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:I have a ton of Smartwool and have never wore a pair out yet. Do you sharpen your toenails? :lol: :?: :shock:

Maybe I have lemons or some knock-offs?? :( I do tend to put my big toes thru socks after a while but seems very premature when it comes to 100% wools socks.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

Postby Navesgane » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Brendan wrote:Darn Tough Wool. Lifetime guarantee. Come in many different styles. I have lightweight pairs for running shoes, all the way through the pairs I use for hunting.

Thanks I'll have to try out a pair of those. I see they have Lycra. That seems to be what toughens them and is the same stuff lorpen uses in their blend
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

Postby saddlesore » 04 20, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I use lighter weight wool blend socks,but no matter the season,I always wear a pair of poly socks under them.Prevents blisters and wicks persperation away from the feet
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 04 20, 2018 •  [Post 10]

First of all, anyone buying socks should go to sierra trading post dot com. Way cheaper. I have a few pair of Kenetreks I won at an RMEF banquet and I like those as well. I have become a sock snob and when I am hunting, it is merino wool period.
Tigger

Postby stumpy waters » 04 26, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Lorpen lightweight T3 hikers.
stumpy waters

Postby Muleskinner79 » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I second the Vermont darn tough socks.. best out the there :D
Muleskinner79

Postby Lsb » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Lately I've been wearing smartwool
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2018 •  [Post 14]

saddlesore wrote:I use lighter weight wool blend socks,but no matter the season,I always wear a pair of poly socks under them.Prevents blisters and wicks perspiration away from the feet

I use to wear liners under my socks then eventually under wool when hunting the desert.
I haven't had problems with blisters, ever (on my feet). Ive gone to a light thin wool sock early.

Ive switched socks in part because of nephropathy in my legs and feet. I wear the Costco Marino wool blend most of the week. During hunting season it will be one brand or another marino wool sock
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BullRun » 06 03, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Brendan wrote:Darn Tough Wool. Lifetime guarantee. Come in many different styles. I have lightweight pairs for running shoes, all the way through the pairs I use for hunting.

I third that! I wear nothing but Darn Toughs. All kinds of styles and heights and weights. The lifetime guarantee makes them a no-brainer!! And they fit my feet better than most other brands...

Good luck finding your perfect sock. If you do a ton of hiking...they make all the difference!!
BullRun