Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Kifaru opinions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Kifaru opinions

Postby saddlesore » 03 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I am looking at the Kifaru Sawtooth tent,liner, and medium sized stainless steel pack stove vs the Seek Outside Cimarron, no liner and Titanium rectangular pack stove. Anyone have any comparison opinions?.

Kifaru is supposedly made with a better USA material and Seek Outside is an imported material. Kifaru cost is quite a bit higher.Is it worth it?
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Kifaru opinions

Postby Brendan » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 2]

How are you looking to use the shelter? How many people? How far from the truck? Spike Camps? Carrying it a lot?

I think that Kifaru is 100% Berry Compliant because they do a lot of work with the military. 100% US made with US Made materials if that matters to you. Their customer service is top notch too in my experience. Haven't had to call or use SeekOutside, so I can't comment directly there although I hear good things. I know their products are all US made, unsure about materials.

Kifaru's material and construction is a little stronger based on some tests I've seen. Whether or not it'll make a practical difference at all depends on where you use it and the type of conditions you'll see. For all intents and purposes I don't think either will be an issue. If you were telling me you wanted to use it on Kodiak or consistently above treeline, it might be more of a factor.

I can't comment on the Cimarron, but I do have a Sawtooth, no liner, with a SeekOutside titanium medium Stove. Love it. It is a great 2 person shelter, fantastic for 1 depending on how far you have to pack it, would be very tight for 3 with gear, but do-able in a pinch. I spent most of my 2016 season in it Solo. Brought a small chair, a cot, and was a great home for most of the 10 days minus a couple trips out to the truck. Have to be honest though, in archery season I get lazy and leave the stove at the truck. Usually getting back late, up early, so don't want to or need to use it.

All floorless shelters will have the same caveats / issues with condensation. All about how you set them up...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby saddlesore » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I will use this in ML season and most likely 2nd rifle in CO, so it may be wet in ML and cold in 2nd rifle. I'll be 6-7 miles from the truck and I will have a pop up camper on the truck so I'll have some place to go back to if I need to restock.These will be 9-11 day stays.

Hence the liner for either condensation or added warmth in 2nd rifle when snow is more than likely. So extra strength will be an asset if it snows. Weight isn't big issue as it will be on my pack mule, but I need to keep overall weight of panniers down so that I am able to lift them on to the mule. Volume is also important as I don't want to make several trips into my hunt area. When I had more mules,it was common to make three trips in because I set up a bigger camp and I don't want to do that again.

It will probably be just myself, so a stove, chair, sleeping gear, extra wood, and gear should be ok with either the Cimarron or Sawtooth. The Cimarron can be had with what they call a nest or 1/2 nest, but the full nest prohibits use of a stove. I am not sure just how much condensation would be in a tent with no liner, but have heard enough to know it can be a problem and with smaller tents I use in earlier days,I got tired of it raining inside the tent.

I am not use to a floor. I like a tarp instead that I can take up and shake out if required.

Seek Outside is on the other side of the state and Kifaru is only about 60 miles away. I like the Seek Outside rectangular titanium stove vs the Kifaru round Titanium stove, but Kifaru also carries a rectangular stainless steel stove that is only a little more weight than that titanium stove . Full up,it looks like about 7 pounds with tent, liner and stainless steel stove.

How is the resale value of either? I am an real old fart and probably won't use this set up more than three years. It's about $1400for the Kifaru and about $400 less for the Seek Outside setup.

I could really use some good advice , encouragement, or discouragement.This type of gear is all out of my comfort zone as I am use to wall tents and lately a camper.
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Vince, there is no doubt Kifaru products are top notch (I've been around some of their products but do not own any). They are "very" proud of their products and their pricing reflects it :). Have you looked at/considered the various configs offered by Luxe Hiking Gear (one of our sponsors)? I have the Megahorn tipi coupled with a Lite Outdoors 18" cylinder stove which I'm gonna pack in with a partner on our ID wilderness hunt this year. Just another option for you mister.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Vince, there is no doubt Kifaru products are top notch (I've been around some of their products but do not own any). They are "very" proud of their products and their pricing reflects it :). Have you looked at/considered the various configs offered by Luxe Hiking Gear (one of our sponsors)? I have the Megahorn tipi coupled with a Lite Outdoors 18" cylinder stove which I'm gonna pack in with a partner on our ID wilderness hunt this year. Just another option for you mister.

I'll look at it, Thanks.

Checked it out.Looks pretty good and would work, but they are not taking orders until August 8th,so I would not have it for a summer pack trip to check it out and may not get it in time for ML season 4 weeks later
saddlesore

Postby Brendan » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 6]

So, copying this from Rokslide for you, searched Google for "Cimarron vs. Sawtooth" and that's what came up. Sawtooth is bigger, and has full standing room at the pole by the entrance. Room at the front for entry, stove, gear, and you can push your cot / sleep setup a little further back.

Resale is probably the same percentage-wise.

... I used a Sawtooth for the first time for a recent hunt and really liked it. It's definitely a different setup from my Cimarron. With the Sawtooth, you have an entrance and a place for gear and a stove and then room at the "back" for 2-3 people (if you do the mod to delete the rear pole). Even though you still have to hug the pole to stand, there is more headroom than a Cimarron, even with stake extensions.

Tim and I talked about it quite a bit and I still love the Cimarron for a lighter weight option that can be pitched with trekking poles or a tree limb much easier.

Although I haven't seen a Redcliff in person, its size advantages seem to be countered by its weight and cost. Here's how I kind of have it in my mind.

Solo shelter:
When weight matters, the Cimarron is a slam dunk as it has plenty of space for one person and is a super light option. When weight doesn't matter as much, the Sawtooth will probably get the nod and obviously the Redcliff would be a mansion for one person.

Two people:
When weight matters, the Cimarron will still probably get the call as it's still plenty of room for two and a stove. The two doors make it easy for each person to have their own entry without having to crawl over the other person. However, if you are running a nest, it may be tough to get two 1-person nests in the Cimarron and doubling up in a 2-person nest with another dude might be a little close for comfort.

For a moderate weight increase, the Sawtooth would be great for two people. Even though you only have one entrance, you can get in and out without really having to crawl over the other person. You might be able to get two 1-person nests in the Sawtooth, I just haven't tried. However, if someone ever comes out with a nice 2-3 person nest for the Sawtooth (or I get around to making one) it will be a solid shelter for two people.

The Redcliff has much more floor space as far as I can tell and should easily accommodate two nests if needed. But, it almost seems like overkill for two people unless you anticipate being stuck in the tent for long periods of time waiting out the weather.

Three people:
While the Cimarron can definitely accommodate three people, tight with a stove, I only think it would be a last option if planning a trip for three guys.

The Sawtooth would be the slam dunk for three as long as I did the rear pole mod. Even with the rear pole, I think you can fit three if necessary. Again, with a custom nest, the Sawtooth would be great for 3 in any situation.

The Redcliff would definitely be a great option for 3 people. If needing nests, I'm not sure how that would work exactly but I'm sure it's doable.

4 people:
While the Redcliff would obviously shine here, I'm still on the fence of saying that I'd rather just have two Cimarrons or a Cimarron and a Sawtooth. It just allows for more options of where and how to pitch camp. It allows one or two people to maybe do a spike camp somewhere else and the remaining people could still fit in the remaining shelter.

Caveats: I'm no expert and plenty of folks have spent much more time in the field than I have. This is just my observation after a recent trip. I'll also mention that I talk about nests when people could easily use bivys. I'm just not a bivy person as I just can't get used to being confined. I'd rather carry a few extra ounces and have a nest that had space to move around.

As with anything, what works for me may not work for others. Part of the fun is finding what works for you.
Brendan

Postby saddlesore » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Thanks Brendan.That is the kind of comparison I am looking for.
saddlesore

Postby pointysticks » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 8]

when i joined that other forum..i got caught up in the K-rush.

i feel stupid. i hated the sleeping bag, and my pack just hangs there..you distill it down, the pack: it really is just a regular pack in a muted color with greater carrying capacity. i should find the receipt..but i probably burned it in shame. i paid STUPID money on that thing.

their stuff may be wonderful, but i am over the stuff.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby saddlesore » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 9]

pointysticks wrote:when i joined that other forum..i got caught up in the K-rush.

i feel stupid. i hated the sleeping bag, and my pack just hangs there..you distill it down, the pack: it really is just a regular pack in a muted color with greater carrying capacity. i should find the receipt..but i probably burned it in shame. i paid STUPID money on that thing.

Looking at tents, not packs.Trying to do the research to weed out the good and buy so I don't end up in the same boat.
saddlesore

Postby Brendan » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 10]

pointysticks wrote:when i joined that other forum..i got caught up in the K-rush.

I'm the other way around. I love their packs. My opinion is they're the best on the market... Especially seeing they'll custom fit, or even build a frame for you if you ask.

But, the number of options is staggering and it takes a lot of work to get them to fit you perfectly, and it can be hard to find out what system works best for the way you hunt. I bought and sold several used before finding out what I liked best. But, best part about them (after getting the fit and all the adjustments nailed down) is the fit and comfort when carrying a heavy load...
Brendan

Postby pointysticks » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 11]

saddlesore wrote:

Looking at tents, not packs.Trying to do the research to weed out the good and buy so I don't end up in the same boat.

yea..i understand that. just wanted to share, since your title made no mention of any one type of gear. i'm getting less and less caught up in the logo now. i just want good. i'm wary of listening to reviews now.

good luck in the search.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby saddlesore » 03 30, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Just found a heck of a deal . A fellow wants $250 for a like new Kifaru Sawtooth or $150 if I throw in a canvas cowboy bed roll.That is a $797 tent. I would only have to buy the liner and a stove
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 30, 2018 •  [Post 13]

How sweet is that! Nice find Vince.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 03 31, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Well it turned out not quite right.The tent is a Kifaru Para Tipi, a little shorter than the Sawtooth in height. 5 ft, not 6 ft, which I did not realize until I set it up after I bought it.

If anyone can use this, I will sell for $200 + shipping. I have $250 in including what I partly traded for.Excellent shape.Has a stove jack and poles
saddlesore