Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sitka Pack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sitka Pack

Postby LckyTylr » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Anybody have any experience with Sitka Packs? I got one for Christmas two years ago and I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks. After I get a few replies, I'll share my experience.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: Sitka Pack

Postby eltaco » 10 31, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I'm using the Flash 20 model and it just went through its 3rd year of abuse. It's starting to show some sign of wear now, but truly has been a phenomenal purchase. The wear it is showing is minor, but its there. No zipper or stitching failures to this point. Its only a daypack and haven't used it to pack meat out, but it has functioned well up to about 30# during scouting outings.

I've used Badlands packs with less good fortune. I can honestly say that I'd scoop up another Flash 20 at the right price if I needed another down the road.
eltaco

Postby LckyTylr » 10 31, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Well, I have the Bivy 30, which I thought would suit my needs as my only pack, since I only take 2 - 3 night trips (thus far). I had to send it in at the end of last year because some buckles broke, straps tore at stitching, and the top pack would NOT stay securely on top. They happily repaired it and sent it back to me (I think turn-around was less than a month).

This year, I used it similarly, but for the first time, put meat in it. It functioned really well for my first trip out with my buddies spike hind quarter and then I switched over to a meat frame. Then I put a boned out mulie buck (smallish 2.5 year old) in it for a several mile hike out. I lost my footing on the trail and fell onto my side (feet swept out from under me). I landed on my rifle (strapped to the side straps). Both side straps tore at the stitching (separate straps from the first time), but even worse, the waist strap buckle broke and the pack wouldn't stay on my hips. That was torture for the remainder of the trip, as many of you can attest that carrying weight on your shoulders is less than enjoyable. Upon further inspection once I got home, several of the straps were starting to rip and there was a hole worn through the fabric at the top of the internal frame.

Grrrrrr . . . . . again . . . . . and I still have Chuckars, Grouse, Pheasants, Coyote and Wolf hunting left this season!!!

Well, AGAIN, Sitka was very pleased to take my pack back, and when I explained that I didn't want them to repair/return it (because I have no faith that it will not fail me again in the future), their customer service rep explained that he'd happily give me the pack value ($350) credit towards any Sitka gear. Sweeeet, I asked him if that could go towards the larger Sitka 45 . . . . . SURE! Well, let's hope the 45 is the ticket. I'm not impressed with the durability of the Bivy 30, but I'm VERY impressed with Sitka Customer Service, top notch.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby dotman » 10 31, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Be prepared with a backup. Aron Snyder had the straps break off the 45 on its first meat pack out. If you do a search you will see there are many failures. I would go with clothes on the credit and save for another brand of pack.
dotman

Postby eltaco » 11 01, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Wow, that's horrible!

What year is your bivy pack? My Flash 20 is from back when they used mountain mimicry.

Based on that experience alone, I'd use the credit towards clothing, too. Just get something you can sell to put the money into a different brand of pack all together. No way I'd risk another if that was my experience with their packs.

I'll still stand by my review on the day pack. Seriously awesome pack... I've been well pleased with it.
eltaco