Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Climber vs Fixed Tree Stand for Wapiti?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Climber vs Fixed Tree Stand for Wapiti?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Looking at getting my first real tree stand for next year for selective use in some very thick areas to potentially facilitate a shot. Interested in hearing opinions of which you cats prefer for elk... fixed or climbers. I'm only gonna buy one so that is one of the variables. Obviously the weight is a consideration, and, ease in deploying. I hunt in ID, MT, and WA (dependent on the year) in pretty thick areas where there may be anything from skinny lodgepole to larger fir or spruce trees as my options for placement in a particular area. I understand it's a chore cleaning branches on the way up for climbers... Need some advice from you folks please.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Climber vs Fixed Tree Stand for Wapiti?

Postby slim9300 » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I prefer hang on stands for their simplicity, room and adaptability to any environment. I can put up a hang on stand in a new location in 10 minutes or less with climbing sticks. I don't have to find a limbless tree or trim my way up, and if I plan on leaving the stand up for a week or two, the hang on is far superior. For what you are doing the ideal setup is the Lone Wolf Assault II and three Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks. That's about 18 lbs. total weight.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby wideangle » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

You might consider a tree sling.
Several of my hunting friends used tree slings during archery season this year. Several elk and a cougar were killed over waterholes.
I tried one out and found them to be comfortable and easy to shoot from. You need tree steps to get up the tree. These hunters liked
the tree sling because its easy to move, lightweight and safe. Two of the hunters are in their sixtys.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby Swede » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have used both types, but prefer a fixed stand. Weight is not the main consideration. I am not sure which would be lighter if you consider the steps required with the fixed stand. The main consideration is how do you plan to hunt. If you move from area to area a lot and only want one stand then your options are limited. I would go with a climber in that case. If you plan to hunt one location several times, then I would use the fixed stand. An alternative would be the Millenium TI-100 with 2 or 3 extra hangers. That would give you more spots, but would still not be as flexible as the climber. I prefer to know where I am setting up well before hand, therefore versatility is not my focus. I want to arrive at my location and just climb up and get in my stand.
I do not know what happened, but most of the climbers that were commonly around camp a few years ago, are not showing up any more. I assume that is because of the way we hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby HurricaneHuge » 10 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I'm what some may consider a hardcore MOBILE whitetail hunter in the respect that I rarely sit in stands that have been hung ahead of time. I use the Lone Wolf system. And 95% of the time I hang my stand as I go into the woods to hunt. It helps me keep things fresh in the whitetail woods, and also prevents others from knowing which trees I'll set up in. The huge benefits of a hang on stand with climbing sticks over a climber is that you can get into any tree you want to, especially limbed trees. This provides my set up with more cover and prevents me from having to pick my set up tree based on which tree I can get in. A lightweight system generally weighs in at the same weight as average climbers do. With practice, you will be up a tree as quickly or quicker than you are with a climber, and much more quietly.
HurricaneHuge

Postby tracker12 » 10 26, 2012 •  [Post 6]

+1 on what Slim said. I hunt mostly Whitetail and have two quality climbers and several Hang-ons. For western hunting hang-on is the only way to go.
tracker12