Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Gear List for 2013

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Gear List for 2013

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I watch all the gear threads very closely (and talk to hunting friends that share the same elk hunting affliction/addiction as many of us do) and determine what I'm gonna try to get for the next elk season, budget permitting. At this point, I think I'm targeting the following items. Of course, Xmas and Bday gift certificates to the local Cabelas, etc. help in my endeavors :).. My family and friends know that's all I want if they are so kind as to treat me with a present.

1. Elknut playbook. Sorry Paul, I took a guy hunting in the WA early season to a wilderness area I frequent. During the first night of our hunt, I gave him my playbook and told him to read it by his headlamp. He wouldn't give it up for four days :) Unfortunatley, his water bladder (ironically, the one I lent him) leaked on it badly at some point and kind of soaked it to the point of no return.

2. 15 Sawvivor game saw. Have heard nothing but great things about this saw.

3. Tree stand. Have never used these things much but it may be time to deploy one next year as the situation dictates. Oh, that reminds me... Swede's Tree Stand book is also something on my list.

4. New string and perhaps, a professional tune job by one of the experts everybody talks about. I really like my local pro shop but am ready to send the Alpine to one of the shops that folks recommend so highly.

5. A few more base layer items (drawers and top). I liked the stuff I used this year but the merino wool reviews are off the chart so perhaps, switch from the synthetics a bit.

6. Headlamp.. Have been an avid Petzl guy for along time but Slim's high recommendations for the Zebra's have peaked my interest :)

Besides these items, I think I'm set for my gear. What do you folks have on your early list for next year? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: New Gear List for 2013

Postby pointysticks » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

hahah.

i burned up so many cell phone minutes with my brother. he called me from some hunting store in PHX. he was torn between Danner boots and Kenetreks..for me it was a no brainer. i wear Schnee Beartooths (very similar to Kenetreks) and the boots are like "courage for my feet". let's just say, his feet are braver now..

me, i am going to focus my $$ on better camo and base layers. i was going to buy a new bow, but forget it. my bow now, has killed woefully very few animals. alot of turkeys have died in the ring of my spot hogg..nothing else, but small game.

i NEED a new rangefinder..vortex. 99% sure it will be a vortex.

Tripod. i only use one for about 2 weeks in Tuscon. but i need a tripod. maiden voyage for my new vortex spotter this january. stoked!!

so my hard earned $$ will be for clothing, rangefinder...and yes, some headlamp. thanks slim..thanks alot.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

No new gear here. Saving my coins for a Texas hog hunt. Anyone interested?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I think I will get a new Millenium tree stand. Some of my old ones are just too uncomfortable for my aging rear.
I also think I will get a new vest style safety harness. That way I will just leave a strap in the tree and hook into it when I arrive.
I may be losing my mind, but I committed to a late season wilderness pack in hunt with a friend. I will need a new sleeping bag and some Mountain House meals. I have never tasted a Mountain House anything. They don't look too appealing, but I assume they are better than starvation. Lets hope.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby dotman » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Hopefully nothing but dangit Conlan!
dotman

Postby cnelk » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:No new gear here. Saving my coins for a Texas hog hunt. Anyone interested?

Call me... you got my number...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby cnelk » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I'm going to get the following...

2 more hang-on tree stands

The new 2013 PSE DRIVE bow

New pair of Danner boots
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

New Gear List for 2013

Postby BarW » 10 22, 2012 •  [Post 8]

>>>---WW----> wrote:No new gear here. Saving my coins for a Texas hog hunt. Anyone interested?

U don't need coin for hogs in east Texas. Except for gas, some good places to public land hunt hogs and a couple it's even legal to bait.
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 10 23, 2012 •  [Post 9]

First year I hunted from a base camp. We didn't spend any time bivy hunting....to many bulls outside of wilderness! :-)

So I have a few items on my list for base camp.

1) Two generators! Backing the truck up to recharge my batteries was a pain.
2) A new 4-wheeler. Easly shave 20 minutes off every morning by using an atv to get to my hunting spots instead of my Dodge. So that's either 20 more minutes of sleep or 20 more minutes of before dark bugling. Spent the season riding on the back of one which wasn't fun so I want my own.

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby planebow » 10 23, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I was not planning to get anything for next year but read about the headlamp slim mentioned. It would come in handy as I always have a mile or so to walk in the dark every morning and night. Also thought about a cell signal booster so don't have to drive 30 miles to call home. My cell phone now shows a very week signal at camp but can not call out.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 24, 2012 •  [Post 11]

We've been wearing the Crispi Hunter GTX 11" high boots & they are nothing short of awesome! I'd like to pick up a pair of their new Utah Boots, they look sweet & I'm sure have great traction & ankle support, that's important when hunting steeper country & carrying out meat! These boots I'm wearing have saved my ankles countless times, they're incredible!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Vanish » 10 24, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Slightly off topic ... Hey planebow, if need be, it takes much less signal to send a text compared to calling!

Slightly embarrassing, we actually sent texts relaying information on our mule deer hunt this past weekend.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Edit to my list for next season... I'm gonna look at some kind of gear bag to put on the back of my quad also. It looks like I may be doing the same type of hunt as this year so the Polaris will be transporting our gear quite a few miles to the "area".
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ferris bugler » 10 26, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I would like a merino camo top, a new headlamp, a Badlands Monster, a Centaur bow, and a Helium sleeping bag. Probably a bunch of other stuff too. Doubt I'll get it all.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

New Gear List for 2013

Postby slim9300 » 10 26, 2012 •  [Post 15]

You guys NEED a Zebralight! :)

I always say that I don't need anything new but I'm sure I will find a way to spend a small fortune again. I generally get a huge chunk of change in gift cards to Cabelas from my Bday and Christmas from my family. I have to have some excuse to use them! ;)

I do want a semi-auto shotgun and a tactical one would be nice too. Then I would be set for guns.

I also really want the Zebralight H600f. At that point I think I will be set with headlamps. :)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 10 27, 2012 •  [Post 16]

slim9300 wrote:You guys NEED a Zebralight! :)

I always say that I don't need anything new but I'm sure I will find a way to spend a small fortune again. I generally get a huge chunk of change in gift cards to Cabelas from my Bday and Christmas from my family. I have to have some excuse to use them! ;)

I do want a semi-auto shotgun and a tactical one would be nice too. Then I would be set for guns.

I also really want the Zebralight H600f. At that point I think I will be set with headlamps. :)

i believe you are preaching to the choir at this point. i am gonna get the zebralight you suggested for a stocking stuffer.

just ordered my two Mora hunting knives a few seconds ago...

gonna get a great AXE.

guns? i might get rid of a few. i just go a GREAT gunsafe, and all my hardware is finally coming to me from texas. i bet i have a 30 year old, NIB browning auto five for sale soon.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pikemaster » 11 07, 2012 •  [Post 17]

New bino's and maybe a new scope for my 30.06
pikemaster

First Name: Jarod