Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Badland Zippers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Badland Zippers

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I didn't want to hijack Elknuts post (I Won't Use This Again) over on the Nothing But Elk Hunting thread, so I decided to ask for some answers to my question here.

I noticed alot of guys were dis-satisfied with their Badlands packs because of zipper problems. So my question is: Is it really the actual zipper or just the pull tab on the zipper? I noticed the pull tabs on my pack looked pretty weak so I intentionally broke one of them off just to see how much abuse they would stand. The tap did break but the zipper was uneffected. I called Badlands and they sent me a whole handful of new tabs. I think they are still in one of the packs pockets as I never did use them. Instead, I broke all the remaining tabs off and replaced them with paracord. The paracord is quieter and easier to get hold of.

So again I ask, was your problems with the zipper or just the pull tabs.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Badland Zippers

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I have had a pull tab go bad, but never the zipper.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby T/H » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

mine is the rear wing pocket zippers. 3 times now. it's a small zipper with a flaw. on mine as i am zipping up it's coming undone as i pull the zipper to what should be a closed position. i have the 2200 model
T/H

Postby Vanish » 10 19, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Now I KNOW I replied to this post, where did it go?!? :(
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Vanish: I posted this on the Nothing But Elk Hunting thread and realized it would have been better suited for the Gear and Equipment thread. So, I ask John if he could please move it for me. Unfortunatly, he pushed the wrong button and accidently removed the post. He was kind enough to ask me to re-post it. I never did get to see your reply so if you would put it on here again, I'd sure like to see it. Many thanks!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby POk3s » 10 28, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Funny this got brought up. I plan on sending my pack in this week. Both my rear wing pocket zippers on mine are currently broke. One won't zip at all and the other I can at least mess with for a while and get it to somewhat close. Also, the zipper on the top "cover" if you will or detachable fanny pack area is completely fubared. Today I had to take everything out of it as it would keep ripping open. The bad part about it is I keep my expensive stuff in there like GPS, spot, cell phone, and other stuff. Luckily Badlands will fix it....I hope.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Vanish » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 7]

My Badlands 4500, which I started using as my all around pack about 3 years ago, has probably 90 days worth of backpacking and 50 days worth of day trips (very rough estimate, but I use the pack for day hunts, alpine fishing trips, ice fishing trips as well as backpacking). I've broken three zipper pulls (the zippers themselves are fine) and last year on the last weekend of elk season the frame snapped right at the top of the belt while hardly carrying any load. Would have been fun packing an elk out! This year, after packing out that bull, I've noticed the seams, where the shoulder straps connect to the backpack, are starting to pull.

For something that touts being so tough, I am a bit concerned. Sure, Badlands will fix it up no problem but you do have to pay to ship it to them.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby idahoghost » 10 29, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Not sure if this is the same problem as the Badlands packs, but here goes.

I have a Blacks Creek G7. The zippers continually split. I took it in the manufacture, they said it is a common problem with all zippers (not in my experience). They told me to take pliers and squeeze the pull. "All pulls expand in time" is what they said. It did fix the problem, but they still spread continually. I now have pliers in my pack.

I like the pack, but the zippers are POS's. Try the plier trick, it may help. In looking back at my purchase, the G7 is a great pack, but I would not buy it again after living with it for a year now, just because fo the zippers.
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby POk3s » 10 30, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Idaho Ghost, just squeeze the bottom of the zipper pull???? Seems like an easy fix to my headaches but my zippers are so screwed now I don't know if it will help.

Anybody had any problems with the Eberlestock zippers. The "Just one" is the pack I wanted originally but couldn't find any used ones. Used badlands 4500's are everywhere.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby planebow » 10 30, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I have only had my x2 for 3 years now and have not had any problem at all.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby POk3s » 10 31, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Thanks. If these zippers break again I'll be heading that route.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby pointysticks » 10 31, 2012 •  [Post 12]

my 2800 has pretty bulletproof zippers..i wonder what they changed? my bag is pretty ancient as far as packs go. maybe 5 years old.

i did tear a seam on some blowndown timber..i sewed it up myself. not so neatly...i'll send the thing in later for a proper fix.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Magic » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I broke a zipper pull on my Superday. I then realized that I was pushing the tab instead of pulling it. Badlands sent me several new tabs and I now know to pull the tab.

Neither my Son nor I have had any problems with the actual zippers. We both absolutely love the Superdays.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby eltaco » 11 07, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I never had a problem with the zipper, but the stitching that holds the zipper to the pack blew out on me. Zipper is still functional, but now there's a gaping hole where it stitches to the bag. That occurred with less than two years of use.
eltaco