Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Kuiu "Made in China"

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Kuiu "Made in China"

Postby dotman » 10 10, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Well looks like Kuiu is taking their mfg to China, really can we not get anyone to stay in NA. Yes it wasn't mfg in the US but could live with Canada.
dotman

Re: Kuiu "Made in China"

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I'm sure it's the cost that is the bottom line! I always buy in states when possible, we'll see what their quality looks like now?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

that blows..

but walk into any Walmart. we have an insatiable appetite for low priced goods.
(well, maybe not members here..with all this talk of kifaru :D).

i bet the quality remains unchanged for the most part..will Kuiu maintain pricing? sorry, i am not a business major.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby dotman » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Oh yeah prices will not lower since they say costs are the same.
dotman

Postby drauls21@tds.net » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

The decision to have product manufactured in China was not a cost saving measure. Jason made the move in order to be able to shorten lead times for manufacturing his ever growing product line. Log onto Kuiu's blog to read Jason's explanation.
drauls21@tds.net

First Name: Doug
Last Name: Rauls

Postby Swede » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

It sure makes a difference to me where things are made. I will look for the made in USA label. The lead time explanation does not make sense. American companies can meet their needs. Kuiu people think they will pocket more money by going to China. Maybe they will, but if given an alternative, I will buy a comperable product made in USA.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby foxvalley » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

That's funny, they can't hire more U.S. workers to shorten lead time? Smells fishy to me.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby drauls21@tds.net » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

you didn't read the blog very carefully, the long lead times were from not being able to get the fabric. with the new agreement jason has worked out with toray, he gets priority for production of fabric, dyeing, cutting and manufacture of product, sometimes business decisions are unpopular with many people, but in order to grow a business tough decisions are sometimes necessary. None of Kuiu's products are Made in U.S.A., but his business HAS created jobs in the U.S. and from what I read nobody lost jobs in Vancouver and there is no impact as far as additional jobs because Kuiu was unable to procure product for the actual manufacture of product, that is where the long lead times were coming from, not from being understaffed with workers.
drauls21@tds.net

Postby foxvalley » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 9]

So the move is being made solely on availability of raw material? The cost per unit to manufacture isn't going down,and has no affect on the desision whatsoever?
foxvalley

Postby pointysticks » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

how do you pronounce KUIU anyways?

koo ee oo ?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby dotman » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Straight from Webster's : Main Entry: Ku·iu Island Pronunciation: \ˈkü-(ˌ)yü\Function: geographical name island SE Alaska in central Alexander Archipelago
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 12]

dotman wrote:Straight from Webster's : Main Entry: Ku·iu Island Pronunciation: \ˈkü-(ˌ)yü\Function: geographical name island SE Alaska in central Alexander Archipelago

So it's Koo Yoo? I've been mispronouncing it :(
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby T/H » 10 17, 2012 •  [Post 13]

so where were the goods (material) coming from that the company couldn't keep up with demand? ie long lead times

sidenote: please don't say China :)
T/H

Postby drauls21@tds.net » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 14]

drauls21@tds.net

Postby foxvalley » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 15]

drauls21@tds.net wrote:http://blog.kuiu.com/2012/10/17/vertical-supply-chain-post-follow-up/

Thanks for the explanation, it is clear this was not a profit driven move,sorry.
I have been a huge sitka fan,and most of my lineup is in mountain mimicry,which I really love that camo pattern,not to mention the clothing itself.Thanks!
foxvalley

"Made in China"

Postby wideangle » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I have an NRA knife - it is stamped Made in China. Go figure.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2012 •  [Post 17]

After reading Jason's explanation I can appreciete his committment to product quality. I still have a difficult time seeing where there are no companies in the U.S. that could make the product to standard on time. If I remember right, ABC News found a company that could make the uniforms for the U.S. Olympic team, when there was only a two week lead time. It is difficult to find U.S. made camo products. I think the camo I own and the camo Cabelas carries is all imported. I would like to believe "Made In U.S>A." would be a good sales point. I know I look for that on the label and will give it preference when it is available.
Swede

Postby drauls21@tds.net » 10 20, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Its not all just about the sewing, it's the entire supply chain. The material is developed and made by Toray in Japan. Having Toray manage the supply chain meant using a Toray owned cut and sew factory. Difficult decision for sure, but it meant Jason was able to get preferential access to the fabric. I too look to support made in USA, but in a global economy that is really tough to do. As for KUIU, Jason started a company that HAS created jobs here in the USA. The companies that we as Americans and consumers should take a hard stance on are the ones who ship jobs over seas as a profit move only. When billions of dollars in profit aren't enough for some of these execs and they try to squeeze every last dollar by moving jobs to areas of cheap labor then we need to stand up and do something. Okay enough of the soap box, have a good one everyone.
drauls21@tds.net

Postby Swede » 10 20, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Drauls, Thanks: I know I can be hard headed, but you have convinced me. I was not blaming anyone. As I said above, the camo I own is also imported. I just wish we had a good "made in America" alternative. I would just hope American manufacturers are as loyal to Americans and they want us to be to them.
Swede