Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Success with the vortex rangefinder

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Success with the vortex rangefinder

Postby foxvalley » 09 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I just wanted to let everyone know how well the vortex rangefinder worked on my hunt. I was very impressed right off the bat at the size of this thing,it was so easy to keep it in my breast pocket of my jacket all the time with the lanyard around my neck. It is easy to read and use,and is very accurate. I also used it as a monocular,which turned out to be a bonus.
I ranged the spot that I shot my bull in the day before, and felt very confident on the 30 yd.quartering to shot because I knew the exact distance.
Anybody looking for a top of the line rangefinder, don't hesitate to talk to Paul aka Elknut. Thanks again!
compressed2.jpg
compressed2.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: Success with the votex rangefinder

Postby pointysticks » 09 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

hahahhaaa...awesome!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Way to go, great job!!! Glad you were able to use the Rangefinder, it's a sweet little jewel!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby foxvalley » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

pointysticks wrote:hahahhaaa...awesome!!

Thanks pointy!

Did you ever end up picking up the vortex?
foxvalley

Postby pointysticks » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

no..not yet. still savoring the sting of coming "this" close to winning one :D

actually, waiting for the feeding frenzy to subside..and inventory to go up. then i'll order one up from our host.
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

opps.
pointysticks

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 7]

As foxvalley noted, the new Vortex rangefinder is very impressive. My hunting pardners and I have used Bushnell, Nikon and Leopold units and the Vortex is easily the best. The optics are sharp. I too have used it as a monocular while in my treestand. I have chosen to rely on it and leave my binos in the truck at times when I go to my tree stand. The Vortex is smaller, brighter viewing through, and has easier to read numbers than the other rangefinders. I also like the side clip which allows me to attach it to my safety harness or the outside of my shirt pocket for very quick access.
As anyoune who has read my posts, book, or magazine articles knows, I do not promote products just because I use them. I will only occasionally mention something if it is really special. The Vortex rangefinder is genuinely impressive. I have a pair of their binoculars and Vortex definently offers great value.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 8]

my nikon Archer's choice almost flew off a beautiful scenic Idaho mountain. for some reason, they were returning 6.2 yards on 50% of my range readings. i put new batteries in, (Battery icon never goes away) and it got better, but still occasionally would bring up that damn..6.2 yards.

i think they are done. i want the Leica ones, but my budget favors the Vortex, by a huge margin.
pointysticks

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Pointysticks, it is funny about your pitching your old Nikon rangefinder. I would have done the same with my Bushnell, except I don't litter. The Bushnell is literally at the botton of my garbage can as I write. It going on its last ride Wednesday. That is the day the garbage gets picked up. BTW, I had just bought a new battery too for my Bushnell to see it that would fix it. It didn't.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 10]

littering!! that is what stopped me in the first place. :D

i hated thinking of that battery leaking for eternity into some stream...i will dump it properly and unceremoniously. thanks goodness i bought it super cheap..used. lasted a good 3 years.
pointysticks

Postby foxvalley » 09 25, 2012 •  [Post 11]

pointysticks wrote:my nikon Archer's choice almost flew off a beautiful scenic Idaho mountain. for some reason, they were returning 6.2 yards on 50% of my range readings. i put new batteries in, (Battery icon never goes away) and it got better, but still occasionally would bring up that damn..6.2 yards.

i think they are done. i want the Leica ones, but my budget favors the Vortex, by a huge margin.

When I was driving home thru Montana,wearing my vortex t shirt, a hunter and a local vortex dealer that had spyed my shirt, started talking to me about the quality of the vortex. He said they had the leica and the vortex rangefinders on the same hillside,and the vortex was clearer.
foxvalley

Re: Success with the vortex rangefinder

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 25, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Foxvalley, did you mention ElkNut Outdoors? (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby foxvalley » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 13]

ElkNut1 wrote:Foxvalley, did you mention ElkNut Outdoors? (grin)

ElkNut1

I most certainly did!!! I told him how I had won it on your forum,and what the forum and you are all about,he was very interested,and I'm sure he will be tuning in. As I was walking away,he jokingly asked if I had won the t shirt too,and I told him not only the rangefinder,and a t shirt,but a hat too!!!
foxvalley

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 14]

LOL!!! Very cool!!! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul