Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How do you carry your bow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby dadof4 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So i really need experienced help here

leaving in a few days and this will be the 1st time I've taken a bow for the hunt and it just occurred to me that there will be numerous times where I will need the use of both hands. So how do the archery hunters carry their bow?

I generally hunt from a base camp and will use ATV's to get us anywhere from 2-6 miles back to get us where we will be hunting from each day. So

a) how do I carry my bow while on the ATV? is there a safe way to carry it over my shoulder or to sling it so that I have hands avail? Hoping the option is not putting on the front of the ATV out where it will get mud splattered or possibly bump a trail on a narrow trail?

b) how do you carry your bow while hunting when you need both hands either to be dealing with brush, climbing over a windfall, or glassing

any insight is appreciated
dadof4

First Name: Torry
Last Name: Schlitt

Re: How do you carry your bow?

Postby cnelk » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Not sure of your options, but If you hunt in Colorado, you need to have your bow in a case while on an ATV

I also have a a bow sling I sometimes use or I strap in on my pack if I have a long hike
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 3]

If you are in Colorado it has to be in an enclosed case while on an ATV. I always just used my hard bow case bungeed to the front rack. I also have an adjustable strap I can clip on my bow while hikeing. I think I tried it out once in maybe ten years or so.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby dadof4 » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Hunting will be Northern British Columbia, as far as I know there are no restrictions, other than no loaded firearm, but I'm gonna go look at the regs now just to be sure. I could strap the case on the front which will stop the dirt and give some protection, prob would be the safest.
Most of the time I will have either a very small pack or a monster fanny or just my minimalist front pouch. so not much to tie to.
I guess I was hoping for an easy way to kinda sling it to my side
dadof4

Postby Vanish » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

My whole group just carry's it all day. You never know when you're going to have that opportunity. If it is night, I will strap it to my pack. But maybe we just don't know a better way.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Carry it our hands! No straps or slings here! They are too slow to fool with & keep track of once removed as runners & gunners! After the hunt is over & on way back sometimes I strap it to back of pack, do this if leaving way before as well!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Here is an idea for you. I used a nylon strap off of an old camera bag and attached it to a loop of 550 cord that I tied though a hole at each end of the riser of my bow. I leave the 550 cord on the bow and the strap can be rolled up and kept in your pack when not in use. Works pretty good and is quick to detach. Best of all, it didn't cost anything.
Attachments
P1010414.JPG
>>>---WW---->

Postby dadof4 » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

thanks for the suggestions

I think i will take those and as it turns out I do have an old camera/briefcase strap that I can use. That will work for when i am transporting to a drop off zone while on the ATV if it doesn't , then I will use the case and bungy it down, from there prob do as the others suggest and just carry it on the ready.
dadof4

Postby ferris bugler » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I just bungy mine to the ATV, but I just shoot a stick with a string. As far as while you are walking I think the best is a hook that goes on your belt. They make them for construction work and holding a drill.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby BarW » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I carry mine during shooting hours. Best if it's in a hard case while on a wheeler. Primos makes a bow sling that I use before and after daylight. Works good for me cost about $20
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Postby Lefty » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I carry my bow by the strings or just above the handle.

In the case in the pick up or ATV
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Funny story: A guy from Pa. came out for a hunt . He put his brand new bow in a hard plastic case for transporting it on his ATV. I suppose he must have figured he need the racks for hauling other gear. So, he hung the bow case off the back rack, dangling it over the tail pipe. Yep, you guessed it! The exaust melted through the plastic case and cooked his bow. He had to drive 30 miles back to town and bought another new bow for over $600 bucks.

He just laughed about it. If that had happened to me, I would have cried like a little baby.
>>>---WW---->

Postby mlauber » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Y'all need to check out an item called a 'Gag". It is a bow sling. Rolls up easy & fits in your pocket.

I love it! Takes the pressure off my arm when hiking back in from a long day.

It is safer with the bow slung over my shoulder. Great when moving at dawn/dusk. Being tired at the end of a long day it is a life saver.

They sell for about $30.00. Comes in various camo patterns.

Just a neat item to have.

I do however agree with if it is daylight..... keep your stick in your hands!

;) ;) ;)
mlauber

Postby pointysticks » 10 03, 2012 •  [Post 14]

the GAG looks like a primos.

how do you hang a bow over your shoulder with a pack on? i carry mine. on the long hike back in the dark, i load it onto my badlands pack. nice to have both hands free, when the hunting is over.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby planebow » 10 03, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I always carry my bow in my hand while im hunting. Before and after shooting light I strap it on to the back of my X2 pack
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard