Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Track Knives "New Stock"

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Track Knives "New Stock"

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 18, 2016 •  [Post 1]

A little bird told me that Redtop (Norm) has just finished creating a brand spanking new stock of Elk Track Knives! For those of you who don't know, Norm makes some of the finest hunting knives anywhere and he really only advertises them for sale in a few places. For those interested in adding one of these to your hunting tool kit, or, have questions about the knives, PM redtop (Norm) for further information. Here they are, get them while they last ;)

IMG_0194_JPG.jpg
IMG_0194_JPG.jpg (248.79 KiB) Viewed 37757 times
IMG_0197_JPG.jpg
IMG_0197_JPG.jpg (224.23 KiB) Viewed 37757 times
IMG_0201_JPG.jpg
IMG_0201_JPG.jpg (282.6 KiB) Viewed 37757 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Track Knives "New Stock"

Postby redtop » 07 19, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Thanks Rory for posting these. My P.C. is down or I would have done it myself. If anyone doesn't see a knife they like in these pictures shoot me a pm and maybe I can get something made for you. Six weeks from yesterday bow season for elk and mulies opens!!
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby baddaddy » 07 19, 2016 •  [Post 3]

After reading about these knives here I bought two of them. They are absolutely beautiful knives and are first rate. Norm is awesome to work with and is quick to communicate concerning your order. Both my knives were not in stock and had to be made. Norm communicated this up front and was great to work with. I cant wait to use them on elk. Thanks again Norm the knives are awesome.
baddaddy

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 21, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Great looking knives Norm
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Steve O » 07 23, 2016 •  [Post 5]

I just signed up so cannot PM yet, but those are sharp looking knives. Would like to get pricing and ordering info.
Steve O

Postby Lefty » 07 23, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Gorgeous!A real working knife! I love that Damascus steel!!!

What is the handle made of on the bottom knife??
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby redtop » 07 23, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The prices do vary a bit depending on steel and handle material. Cheapest is the orange g10 handled knives with 52100 forged steel at $195. Most expensive is Damascus blade and stabilized pine cone handle at $235. Shipping is $7.50 for one or two knives priority mail.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 25, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Those of us that have a knife or two from Norm know these are 2nd to none! I absolutely love mine, best knife I've ever had & used!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN2572.JPG
DSCN2572.JPG (135.64 KiB) Viewed 37671 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Steve O » 07 28, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Norm,

How did you pick the two steels you are offering and how do they differ. Could you possibly highlight the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Steve O

Postby redtop » 08 04, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Steve O
Sorry its taken a while to respond, I just got out from 8 days in the backcountry away from any devices. Perfect.
So the steels I use are 52100 and the Dmascus which is 15n20 with 2% nickel.
52100 is a great high carbon knife steel. It takes a really great edge and cuts like a dream. Its durable and easily field sharpened.
The Damascus I use is also high carbon steel. It also takes a great edge easily. The main difference is probably that it is not quite as durable of an edge as the 52100. But, it does have that beautiful swirling layering and is very pleasing to the eye. Its long been known to be superior for cutting meat. For centuries it has been used for the finest swords.
Being carbon steels both of the steels I use will rust and are not recommended for salt water use. The 52100 develops a nice patina with use and both blades should not be stored wet for long term.
The goal with my knives is to produce a functional beautiful knife that can be sharpened quickly by the user and not requiring any special sharpening equipment.
My knives should be used.
To summarize 52100 gets really sharp and stays sharp longer, Damsacus gets just as sharp but the edge is slightly less durable but has that cool pleasing look. Both can be easily sharpened.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby JKaboom » 08 04, 2016 •  [Post 11]

Simply beautiful!
JKaboom

Postby Steve O » 08 05, 2016 •  [Post 12]

Excellent info, thank you.
Steve O

Postby Yooper » 08 10, 2016 •  [Post 13]

Long time lurker....but every time I see Norm's knives come up I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a Western Hunter. This might have just pushed me over the edge!
Yooper

Postby baddaddy » 08 10, 2016 •  [Post 14]

Yooper,

Go for it. You won't be disappointed.
baddaddy

Postby commando » 08 11, 2016 •  [Post 15]

I will be getting a Western hunter hopefully next summer. These are beautiful knifes. Can't wait to get one. Now to figure out which Handle I want.
commando

First Name: jeremy

Postby baddaddy » 10 10, 2016 •  [Post 16]

Used mine to quarter up my Antelope. These knives are first rate and keep their edge. My favorite knife. I highly recommend these knives.
baddaddy

Postby redtop » 10 11, 2016 •  [Post 17]

Thanks baddaddy, glad the knife is working well for you. They look better with blood on them for sure. I've received several e-mai pictures this hunting season with happy hunters and unhappy animals featuring my knives in action.
I've got a new blade pattern I've been working on (when I'm not hunting) and I'm close to having some made up. It'll be a smaller blade, not exactly a bird and trout blade but some hunters have asked for a bit smaller blade. I'll post some pictures when I have some done.
Wishing you all success with your hunts. It's the best time of year!
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby Yooper » 10 11, 2016 •  [Post 18]

Looking forward to the pics of the new blade profile. I'm one of the guys that normally prefers the smaller style blades.
Yooper

Postby Brendan » 10 12, 2016 •  [Post 19]

A Damascus hunter with a cool looking walnut or ironwood handle might just make me a customer real quick... Gorgeous knives.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby wawhitey » 10 14, 2016 •  [Post 20]

Is 286 still available?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby redtop » 10 14, 2016 •  [Post 21]

#286 is long gone. Everytime I make a pinecone handled knife it sells before I can even admire it. If you would like one please send me a p.m. and we can work it out.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby redtop » 10 19, 2016 •  [Post 22]

IMG_3379.JPG
IMG_3379.JPG (187.51 KiB) Viewed 37385 times

Here is a picture of my new smaller blade pattern with a "Western hunter" knife thrown in for size comparison. The new blade is the same forged 52100 steel as my other knives though at 1/8" thick it is a bit thinner for a better balanced small knife. For now I'm calling it the "compact hunter" but I'm open to suggestions for a name for it. I've only made up a couple so far and I'm still working on the sheaths. Price is about the same as my other 52100 knives. Depends on handle choice. PM me if anyone is interested in one. Thanks again for looking.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 19, 2016 •  [Post 23]

Wow, how sweet are these new compact hunters! I think the title compact hunter is fitting Norm ;).
WapitiTalk1

Postby redtop » 11 07, 2016 •  [Post 24]

IMG_3408.JPG
IMG_3408.JPG (236.24 KiB) Viewed 37306 times
IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3401.JPG (347.7 KiB) Viewed 37306 times
A few more for your viewing and buying pleasure.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby commando » 11 17, 2016 •  [Post 25]

How much would 280, 282 and 285 cost? In both elk guide and Western hunter style? I am going to start savubg to get both a elk guide and Western hunter.
commando

First Name: jeremy

Postby redtop » 11 17, 2016 •  [Post 26]

Commando those knives are $195. I sent you a pm.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby Yooper » 11 29, 2016 •  [Post 27]

So a few weeks ago I finally decided enough was enough and got my first knife from Norm. I love elk hunting as much as the next guy, but being from the upper midwest the majority of my hunting time is spent chasing whitetails. So for that reason I wanted to go with one of his new Compact Hunter designs. It just fit my needs more than the bigger versions.

If you don't already have one of Norm's knives the first thing you notice when you get it is obviously the overall quality of the knife. It's just a work of art in my eyes and the spalted maple handle sure helped that out in my case! The sheath fits the knife perfectly and there's no wiggling around when it's in there. The sharpness is what you would come to expect from a knife of this quality as well. This is the kind of knife that I fully expect to see handed down to my son and hopefully his some day!

So how did it work in the field you ask? Well I was lucky enough to take a great, mature whitetail for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I couldn't be any more pleased with the way it performed on the field dressing and skinning the deer a few days later. Admittedly I've been using a Havalon the last few years while field dressing my deer, but I have never felt all that comfortable working in the chest cavity and around my fingers with that knife. I just don't have a good sense of where it's at in my hand while working blind and I've nicked myself on more than a few occasions. The Compact Hunter still gives me the ability to do the finer, detail work as well as the bulky stuff. Like any good knife, it felt like an extension of my hand while using it. The same goes for the skinning part. It held an edge for the whole deer and I never felt the need to have to sharpen it during the process. When all was said and done I simply touched it up on the diamond stone and it was right back to hair popping sharp! I can attest that the steel holds an edge with the best of them.

I totally get the point of watching weight when hunting the back country and understand guys wanting to shave any ounces they can. If you're on the fence on picking up one of Norm's knives because you're concerned about the weight the Compact Hunter might be a great option for you.

Yooper

Postby N&N Waterfowl » 12 06, 2016 •  [Post 28]

After admiring Norm's knives on here for a while, I finally decided to go ahead and purchase a western hunter. A couple years ago I had gotten a couple pieces of buckeye burl from my grandfather's coffee table. When he passed away instead of one grandchild getting the table, we all decided to cut it up into pieces that way everyone could have a piece of a cherished family memory. See grandpa was the one that got all of us interested in hunting and fishing and enjoying the great outdoors, and he always told us that he picked up the coffee table from a craftsman in Wyoming while he was on his way home from elk hunting. If that was true or not, nobody really knew. So, when I saw Norm's craftsmanship I knew exactly what I would do with one of my pieces. Norm was more than happy to use the wood I supplied. I received my knife yesterday, and I couldn't be more impressed and pleased with it. It is truly a work of art, and one that I plan on putting to good use. I was so impressed that I have already placed an order for one of his compact hunters to use as a bird knife.
IMG_0528 (2) (800x600).jpg
IMG_0528 (2) (800x600).jpg (219.31 KiB) Viewed 37180 times
N&N Waterfowl

Postby cohunter14 » 12 06, 2016 •  [Post 29]

Gorgeous knife right there!
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby redtop » 12 07, 2016 •  [Post 30]

Gosh, you guys are making me blush. Thanks Jeff and Charlie for the kind words. It's nice to see pictures of my knives in action. As much as I try to make knives that are pleasing to the eye and hand I like to make a knife that gets used rather than sits on a shelf.
Charlies story about his Grandfather got me thinking again about how much I appreciate the Grandfather I once had. He gave me my first set of real woodworking tools for my 13th birthday and set me on my path as a woodworker and elk hunter.
So, in celebration of Grandfathers and passing on their knowledge and spirit I'll take $20 off any in stock knife until the end of the year, for Wapiti Talk members only.
I still have some/most of the knives pictured above, or ones that are similar, so pm me if you see one you'd like.
Happy Holidays.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 02, 2017 •  [Post 31]

Is 278 or. 284 available?
Elkhntr08

Postby redtop » 01 03, 2017 •  [Post 32]

Sorry those two are sold. I sent you a pm
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby Rangerz » 01 28, 2017 •  [Post 33]

After admiring Norm's knifes I purchased a Western Hunter (Spalted maple handle) last year. Absolutely gorgeous knife.

I still couldn't shake my desire to have one of his Damascus knifes (yes I am a Gear Junky), so I contacted Norm and ordered one from him.

DSC_0189.JPG
DSC_0189.JPG (162.27 KiB) Viewed 36988 times

DSC_0190.JPG
DSC_0190.JPG (169.53 KiB) Viewed 36988 times

This is a slightly smaller blade than the Western Hunter but fits my hand perfectly.

Thanks Norm!
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Rockymountainthigh » 02 09, 2017 •  [Post 34]

Very Sweet PM coming your way
Rockymountainthigh

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 27, 2017 •  [Post 35]

Are you kidding me? I just receive my new Compact Hunter version from Elk Track Knives and am borderline speechless with the quality and really the beauty of this knife. I already have one of the Elk Track Western Hunters and this new little jewel, rounds out my collection (talk about a gem for skinning, caping, work around tendons, and if I still trapped... skinning those critters) ! Here's a little story for you cats:

I had a knife my grandfather (roots from Norway) gave me years and years ago and at some point in my stupid youth, sold it for I don't know how much. It was a Harry Morseth knife (look up Morseth knives and you'll see what I'm talking about). I'm still sick about not keeping the Morseth (it field dressed deer, elk, bear, and skinned countless furbearers in NW MT) and passing it on (when I finally go ten toes up) to a family member. Well now.... I have two of the finest knives, IMO, that are being made today to first field process some wapiti, and secondly, pass them on to an aspiring hunter when I can no longer navigate the inclines of the elk woods.

Thanks Norm for making such an exceptional knife! RJ

IMG_3892_JPG.jpg
IMG_3892_JPG.jpg (143.45 KiB) Viewed 36792 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Flyfish-4-Trout » 05 25, 2017 •  [Post 36]

Good afternoon. A friend of mine had one of these knives up fishing this weekend and it was beautiful.

What is the best way to order knives from Norm?

does he have an e-mail address?

Thanks,
Joe
Flyfish-4-Trout

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 25, 2017 •  [Post 37]

Yep, I send you an email Joe. Norm can be contacted here via PM also but you gotta have at least three posts to PM on WapitiTalk. Oh, and welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board!
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 26, 2017 •  [Post 38]

Gee RJ ! And to think, I was just getting ready to build you one of these. But it looks like Norm has already taken good care of you. He makes a fine knife.
Attachments
thumbnail_20160926_132942_resized_1.jpg
thumbnail_20160926_132942_resized_1.jpg (144.92 KiB) Viewed 35784 times
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 28, 2017 •  [Post 39]

Beautiful knife Bill.
WapitiTalk1

Postby 1Elkhunter » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 40]

Redtop, check your PM's, just sent you a note. Thanks, foxx
1Elkhunter

Postby pointysticks » 06 29, 2017 •  [Post 41]

What are the dimension s of the compact hunter? That looks perfect for me.

I'm out of the loop. Steel type? How thick is the steel stock? I'm kinda over the thick blades.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby redtop » 06 30, 2017 •  [Post 42]

Pointy, that compact hunter measures 7" total length with a blade just under 3". The 52100 steel is 1/8" thick. It's been a good seller and I am currently out of those blades and it might be a couple of months before I can get any more ready.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby Roosiebull » 06 30, 2017 •  [Post 43]

absolutely stunning knives!

I had a friend just build me a skinner, I think a "mule deer" would be a nice addition 8-)

when you have more knives complete, will you post them here, or is there a better way to keep track of your inventory? i'm going to have to own one of your knives in the future, beautiful work.
Roosiebull

Postby redtop » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 44]

Best way to get one of my knives is to pm here thru wapititalk private messages. I'll be out of town until mid July.
redtop
Site Sponsor

Postby 1Elkhunter » 07 03, 2017 •  [Post 45]

I just got my Western hunter and compact hunter in the mail today. Western hunter in desert ironwood scales and the compact hunter in stabilized walnut scales... wow, these are the real deal, and I've got shoeboxes full of knoves from a lot of makers. These are working knives to a T! But also beautiful. And razor sharp to boot.
1Elkhunter

Postby Roosiebull » 07 03, 2017 •  [Post 46]

post a picture of your new knives!
Roosiebull

Postby 1Elkhunter » 07 05, 2017 •  [Post 47]

Roosiebull wrote:post a picture of your new knives!

I'm a computer dummy, I can email pics from my iPhone to someone a little more techno savy if they can post them?
1Elkhunter

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 05, 2017 •  [Post 48]

1Elkhunter wrote:
Roosiebull wrote:post a picture of your new knives!

I'm a computer dummy, I can email pics from my iPhone to someone a little more techno savy if they can post them?

1ELK, check out this thread and see if it helps you mister. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7886 If still no luck, email your pics to me at rory@wapititalk.com and I'll hook you up. Don't feel bad, I'm not so good when it comes to the computer stuff either :? .
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 49]

Here's 1Elk's new elk carving knives.... very, very nice!

1Elk/David sais: "Smaller knife is the compact hunter with stabilized walnut scales. Larger knife is the Western Hunter with ironwood scales. Can't wait to get 'em bloody this fall!"

Again, Norm/Elktrack Knives produces some fantastic knives for a hunter, borderline works of art.

ET Knives.2.png
ET Knives.2.png (509.52 KiB) Viewed 35261 times

ET Knives3.png
ET Knives3.png (446.11 KiB) Viewed 35261 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Roosiebull » 07 06, 2017 •  [Post 50]

That is a beautiful lineup for the elk woods! I don't know what has changed, but the past year I have really been appreciating hand made knives. It is such an important tool for the elk hunter, and this is one scenario where functionality can carry beauty, like rifles.

Elk track knives seem to be about the perfect hunting knife. Functional and classy. Congrats on the new knives
Roosiebull

Postby GoGriz1234 » 09 23, 2019 •  [Post 51]

[attachment=1]57D79380-8E35-4F1F-9E28-4FF3A326EAC9.jpeg[/attachment]I have my eyes on these knives for years. I reached out to RJ and he was kind enough to put me in touch with Norm and I finally got my hands on one of these masterpieces! It sounds like Norm is taking some time off from knife making as he is getting too busy with work, but I for one hope he makes a return (I need to buy a few more of these to pass down to my kids). Thanks RJ and Norm for making this happen for me!
Attachments
68E76716-2AEB-4E5E-987C-2D08B6B76B2E.jpeg
68E76716-2AEB-4E5E-987C-2D08B6B76B2E.jpeg (97.05 KiB) Viewed 20440 times
57D79380-8E35-4F1F-9E28-4FF3A326EAC9.jpeg
57D79380-8E35-4F1F-9E28-4FF3A326EAC9.jpeg (97.69 KiB) Viewed 20440 times
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Lefty » 09 24, 2019 •  [Post 52]

A hand made knife is a wonderful thing to use and admire
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GoGriz1234 » 02 05, 2021 •  [Post 53]

After buying the knife above for myself, I bought two more for my two kids (ages 2 and 5), to give them on their 16th birthday. Fast forward a year, I shot Norm an email asking if I could be put on the waiting list for a western hunter with an Orange handle and he replies that he just made a new one for himself, and he would ship it out to me an make another for himself. This is my fourth knife purchased and I am already looking as other sizes and wood that I also want. These things are both extremely functional and also works of art. Thanks Norm!
Attachments
CAD06B4F-ED67-4AC6-99DD-EACA410630F6.jpeg
CAD06B4F-ED67-4AC6-99DD-EACA410630F6.jpeg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 15224 times
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 04, 2021 •  [Post 54]

Are these still available to order. Been awhile since I have been on the forum
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Indian Summer » 07 07, 2021 •  [Post 55]

I know where Norm lives but I haven’t seen him on here for awhile.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 07, 2021 •  [Post 56]

Ya, he got away from the custom knife making a few years ago. Last I heard, he had put all of his time into custom cabinetry and other woodworking projects.
WapitiTalk1

Postby redtop » 09 25, 2021 •  [Post 57]

F583CF12-EEDC-4E40-83E7-2B9E4A726491.jpeg
F583CF12-EEDC-4E40-83E7-2B9E4A726491.jpeg (192.63 KiB) Viewed 11722 times

Haven’t posted any knives here in quite some time. Mostly Just too busy with furniture and cabinetry or just screwing off. I’m still making the occasional knife now and then but mostly for special orders. I do have the three on the left in this picture available for sale though if anyone needs a knife.
redtop
Site Sponsor