Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bug Spray

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bug Spray

Postby dapper » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hello.
First I'd like to thank everybody for all their posts. I've been reading everything for a couple of months and have learned loads of information. That info and the dvds and playbook I got from elknut has to give us a jump start on the learning curve for elk hunting.
My son and I are planning to backpack into a northern colorado wilderness for a two week hunt. Leaving this friday. I've elk hunted twice, over thirty years ago in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana, a drop camp archery hunt. A buddy and I were young, had little knowledge on elk hunting and it showed in the end result, though we had a good time. I feel i've learned more about elk hunting these last two months reading your posts, than I ever learned in those two hunts. I definitely know thingsthat now I wish I would've known back then.
Thanks again

A question regarding bug spray. Is bug spray not needed mid-sept at an altitude of 9000ft? I have unscented bug spray from recent bear hunts, but I see it missing from most lists. We just as soon not take it if not needed, since our packs are on the heavy side. Yet I read articles every so often about mosquito problems, which may be lower altitude or farther south.

Thanks
Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Re: Bug Spray

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Maybe it is just me, but I have never used or seen a need to use bug spray on a Colorado elk hunt. Mosquitoes (sp) are petty much gone by then. But the blow flys and meat bees can give a guy fits. Once we were frying up some steaks for supper and those darn things were landing on the meat as it was cooking in the skillet. No fooling! They are vicious little buggers. But no need to worry, I've never had one sting me unless I got after them too hard.

Do what you want, but I'd leave the bug spray at home or in the truck.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Bug Spray

Postby Vanish » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Sounds like you'll be somewhere in the vicinity of where I have been hunting. The mosquitos were brutal before the season, but none now.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel