Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Where to set the trailcam...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Where to set the trailcam...

Postby elkaholic » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Our hunt doesn't start till mid Sept and I am moving a trail cam to this new area this weekend that I scouted last weekend. My problem is where do I set it. In a 300 yrd section of this draw I found 6 wallows.. :D :D Three were up in the quakies on the side of the hill in heavy timber. The other three were in a very small clearing where the ground levels out. One wallow at the top had been used but it is obvious that all of them have seen use every season.

I'm leaning with setting the camera on the ones in the meadow as I can get the angle to cover all three and some passerby traffic. But the ones currently being used are up hill. I should mention it doesn't look like wallowing activity is too hot yet. Of the 9 wallows I went to this weekend 2 were used in the last day..

Any pointers?

Thanks

BTW. Bulls were rubbing like crazy, heard one bull bugle twice...not a full on bugle but kind of a lazy warming up the vocals bugle... Hopefully they will be firing a little more this weekend...
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Re: Where to set the trailcam...

Postby 2OArchery » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Hopefully you get some insight from guys with some experience, I need some advice too. I went up and put one out for my bear hunt this weekend. I've never used one before, I spent an hour walking around the area I liked trying to find that perfect spot. I guess time will tell.

Like I said, I don't have much experience, but it sounds like you've got a pretty good spot. I guess the conundrum is do you put it where there could be the most activity, or where there already has been some activity. I would buy another one and put two of them up, then send me the location and I will check them and tell you which one was the better choice.
2OArchery

Postby bullrub » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I would get more trail cams. I have three of them and put them on active trails and wallows. Trails going to wallows and bedding areas ( NOT IN BEDDING AREAS). I also put them at old salting sites where ranchers had put out salt for the summer range for there cattle. They are a great tool.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby elkaholic » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

2OArchery wrote: I guess the conundrum is do you put it where there could be the most activity, or where there already has been some activity. I would buy another one and put two of them up, then send me the location and I will check them and tell you which one was the better choice.

LOL.. So nice of you to offer. :mrgreen:

I have another camera but it is set up on a different wallow a LONG way away from this area.. Maybe I should set it on one of the trails going to the area? Salt sites are good but there are still cattle where I am.. I don't want a lot of pictures of cattle eating up my SD card. Oh the dilemna... :D
elkaholic

Postby 2OArchery » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

It certainly sounds like you have the best kind of problem. Have you had them set out already?
2OArchery

Postby elkaholic » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I scouted the area this last weekend to go in and set it up this weekend. I have had it set in a different area for two weeks. Going to pull it from that location and place it somewhere here.
elkaholic

Postby 2OArchery » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I hope you get some pictures to share with us. Its good to know there are people out there doing real scouting and putting in effort. One word of advice for the opener, rent a surface-to-air rocket launcher, you will need it.

I'd loan you mine, if you wanted it, I will be done with it for a while after this weekend.
2OArchery

Postby elkaholic » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Ya I could have totally used them this weekend. The birds are already out and bombing the mountain. And I bet it will only get worse as the opener nears.

It looks like Red was able to get a "lil" guy on camera..

Just make sure you dont use all the rockets.. I'll bet I will need at least a dozen. :twisted:
elkaholic

Postby 2OArchery » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 9]

That's not red's picture. He doesn't even own a trail camera. He stole that picture from somewhere. He's quite the comedian. I wish we had some pictures like that.

I hope the birds don't bother you, I've heard of them causing problems with people before. But on the flip side, my buddy killed a cow because he saw where they were flying and went over and got himself a shot.

If you want to use it after this weekend, let me know.
2OArchery