Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Impressions of Ulmer Edge

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Impressions of Ulmer Edge

Postby Freebird134 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I just picked up a pack of Ulmer Edge broadheads this morning and spent a few minutes checking them out. I'll probably use them on whitetails in Wisconsin (can't and wouldn't use them in Idaho for elk). There were a few things I did not expect and have no heard others mention, so I thought I'd share what I found.

I was drawn to the UE because it's similarity to the old Rocky Mountain Gator, now made by Readhead. Here is a link to them: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Gator-Ex ... 975/432719

The design of both the UE and Gator is cool for 2 reasons. First, you get complete blade opening at impact, so your entry holes are as big as your exit holes. Second, the blades pivot. So, if you did happen to get a little to close to that thick shoulder or leg bone, the blades don't snap off or stop your broadhead. Instead, the blade swings out of the way, and immediately reopens when after passing the obstacle. It's a slick idea, and it works.

Again, I really like the Gators and they are what I've been usuing recently, soI am pretty much comparing the UE to Gators for my own benefit. There are some things I like about the UE more and less than the Gators.

1. UE is 1.5" cutting diameter, whereas the Gators are 2". I like a 2" cut. I shot 3 whitetails with Gators last year, and had complete pass throughs and huge blood trails on all 3. I can see an advantage of 1.5" on mule deer maybe, where you might be taking longer shots on a beefier animal.

2. UE uses an o-ring to hold the blades closed, Gators do not. WTF? I don't want an o-ring!! I have no idea why they did this. The Gator blades are tightened enough that friction keeps them closed in flight. An o-ring is a hassle, especially since you have to take the broadhead off to put the o-ring on (you have to do it from the rear of the broadhead, because the little blades stick out).

3. UE blades are completely hidden inside the ferrule, whereas the stick out in the Gators. I like this about the UE. I'm not sure it matters, as the Gators fly great. But it definitely seems like a good idea to keep them hidden away.

4. UE blades lock together when open, and you have to use a little blue wedge to unlock them and reclose the broadhead. The blades of the Gator are independent. I see "locking together" as a disadvantage. For example, if the blade does hit a bone and pivots backward to get around the bone, the other blade is forced to pivot forward. The blue wedge is something else to worry about and lose, but i was able to disengage the blades without the wedge.

5. The UE practice mode seems like a great feature! I can't wait to use it!

6. The UE has a beefy tip. I like it. But I had no prob with the Gator tips either.

7. The UE blades do not feel sharp at all. Trophy Taker is addressing this quickly with no questions asked, but it's weird. They have a YouTube video where they take a returned pack of UE and show the blades were actually sharp enough to cut paper, rubber bands, and leg hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKsiCAWcvMc). They also argue that nuances of their sharpening process -- that they chose on purpose -- make the blades "feel" less sharp even though they are really sharp. I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. Call them if you have a prob and they will take care of it, or just sharpen them yourself.

8. UE are not cheap. They are priced normally for good broadheads at about $40 a pack. Gators are $30 a pack, and last year before the season Redhead had them for $20 a pack.

My initial impression is that I'm glad I have the UE for really 1 reason: the practice mode. Nothing else is screaming out as a clear advantage over the Gators, or any other mechanical broadhead. If I was mule deer hunting, I would chose the UE over Gators. In the whitetail woods, I'd probably rather have 2" cutting diameter and extra $ in my pocket with the Gators.

But now that I have the UE, I fully intend to put them through some whitetails this fall!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Impressions of Ulmer Edge

Postby Freebird134 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Package of UE broadheads
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (36.69 KiB) Viewed 8892 times
Freebird134

Postby Freebird134 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

The unexpected accessories: o-rings and the blue wedge. Really, I've heard nobody mention this stuff on elknutforums or AT. The o-rings were a surprise.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (23.94 KiB) Viewed 8892 times
Freebird134

Postby Freebird134 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Hard to read it, but the directions inside about using the blue wedge to disengage the blades.
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (33.8 KiB) Viewed 8892 times
Freebird134

Postby Freebird134 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

The blue wedge disengaging my blades.

I'm soooo going to lose this little wedge....
Attachments
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (19.89 KiB) Viewed 8892 times
Freebird134

Postby Freebird134 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

For comparison, the Redhead Gator, which I think UE definitely used for inspiration.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.54.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.54.39 PM.png (51.27 KiB) Viewed 8892 times
Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.54.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.54.44 PM.png (54.21 KiB) Viewed 8892 times
Freebird134

Postby bullrub » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for that info. Freebird, I like the looks of the Gator the best, But we can only used fixed blades in Oregon. There is talk about them changing it.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Freebird134 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 8]

You can't use them in Idaho either. When I grew up and started hunting in states that allowed mechanicals, I just had to give them a try. I've never had a problem with them. Then again, I've only used good ones like Gators and Rage. Both rear deploying and well-built.
Freebird134

Postby bowpackerrob » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Freebird134 wrote:The unexpected accessories: o-rings and the blue wedge. Really, I've heard nobody mention this stuff on elknutforums or AT. The o-rings were a surprise.

Agree with you totally Freebird. I guess we will know more during hunting season. I am a big fan of Trophy Taker products so I really expect alot of good results with this broadhead, their products are usually very well thought out and tough.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby sockeye » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Thank You Freebird great analysis, o-rings that would be a dissapointing suprise. I am a fan of less is more when it comes to archery. My luck is if it is to break it will on me at the worst possible moment. The memory is not as good as it use to be either, I could see me looking forever for the blue wedge minutes after I set it down. :D
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby Freebird134 » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Shot the UE today. The set screw is a nice feature. They grouped with my field points as expected. Then again, so do my Montecs. I shot them out to 70 yards, and they grouped well. Then again, so did my Montecs. I kind of have an "eh" feeling about them.
Freebird134

Postby foxvalley » 08 24, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Freebird134 wrote:Shot the UE today. The set screw is a nice feature. They grouped with my field points as expected. Then again, so do my Montecs. I shot them out to 70 yards, and they grouped well. Then again, so did my Montecs. I kind of have an "eh" feeling about them.

You want to know my thoughts on mechanicals in general?????........
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby outdoordan » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Here in Idaho they are not legal. Not sure if I would switch but I think it should be up to the hunter to decide.
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Postby Jahnke76 » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I have swore I would not go back to mechanicals but someone gave me a ue. It shoots fine and looks like it will do the job. If I were to go back to mechanicals I would check out epek's.
Jahnke76