Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your Elk Mobile! Anyone else "small time" ?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your Elk Mobile! Anyone else "small time" ?

Postby Vanish » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I read all these stories on here and from friends and one thing is always in common, BIG trucks and usually a trailer, often a camper. Well, that just is not where we are in our lives, so we do what we can. So, what does your elk mobile look like? Is anyone else in something a bit smaller like us?

If you are in a smaller vehicle, how do you handle packing all the gear? The RAV4 is amazingly large inside, but I still worry about running out of space. We can fit 3 plus gear, but I worry that once we stick an elk we won't have room for everything else! :D This year we borrowed a THULE car top carrier, which should help. Last year we took this setup whitetail hunting. Fit two in the coolers and one top for the ride home.

It seems I didn't take any photos of elk camp last year. Changing that for sure this year!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Re: Your Elk Mobile! Anyone else "small time" ?

Postby JimKirk » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

those racks on top of the car top help. i once hauled out a cow elk in a toyota corolla wagon. things were tight with all my gear but it worked. i have used camp trailers, pop ups and tents and even slept in the back of my car. for the last 4 weekends of scouting its been my simple little tent. I can set it up in minutes, cook on my tailgate and haul a fourwheeler, my bow target and a few other things. I added one of those pop up shelters last weekend because afternoon thunderstorms are frequent. I've found a great seam seal recipe for sealing up even a cheap tent is GE silicone and paint thinner mixed up in a jar until its thin enough to put on the seams with a foam brush. This was actually recommended by a high end tent maker and can seal a large tent for just a few bucks. going light is easy early in the year. for the later hunts its sure nice to have a heated tent, trailer or wall tent. here's a pic of my setup for the last few weekends out. and of course going solo is easy but if your wife or gf goes with you that is even nicer.
Attachments
213.JPG
213.JPG (133.54 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby DRSX » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Little tent looks good. What brand is it, and cost?
DRSX

Postby JimKirk » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

that little tent is called a eureka backcountry 1. cost me 109$ but that was 10 years ago. looks looks to go about 160 these days.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby dotman » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I downsized this year, no more 3/4 ton diesel, now I have a honda ridgeline and love it. My supertarp is base camp, spike camp and bivy camp shelter.
dotman

Postby Lefty » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Camary, my daughter and the "big tent"
Christina elk hunt.jpg
Christina elk hunt.jpg (4.39 KiB) Viewed 3110 times

Clean gear fit in the back seats. The cooler with ice in the trunk
I hunted Saturday evening. And just glassed Sunday morning, we needed to be back for church obligations I left 2 bulls that morning :shock:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby sockeye » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Lefty.. love the picture of the muddy corolla that is sweet, should be in a comercial. :shock:
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 8]

sockeye wrote:Lefty.. love the picture of the muddy corolla that is sweet, should be in a comercial. :shock:

Thats dust,.. Lets me put it this way, Im an expert at driving thru rocks,... so far :lol:
And yes I stopped at the car wash before my wife saw the car, however after seeing this pic I havent "needed "to hunt with the car
I generaly tent out of my pickup
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby one_elk » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Gotta love those Rav4's we have had ours up some knarly CO roads as well but must say we have never used as our base camp....great picture
one_elk

Postby Freebird134 » 08 26, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I elk hunted in my 91 mustang when I was in college. I have a Jeep Patriot now, but for elk hunting I'll have my dad's dodge ram.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Vanish » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 11]

one_elk wrote:Gotta love those Rav4's we have had ours up some knarly CO roads as well but must say we have never used as our base camp....great picture

We doubled up on em this past weekend! :D

Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel