Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Finishing Touches

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Finishing Touches

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 1]

OK, I've packed and repacked, ordered or bought my backcountry chow (coffee packets with cream/sugar, Bfast cookies, snacks, mid day high carb/cal meals, and the common MH or BP evening meals).. all for my 4 day solo WA and 15 day partner ID hunt. BHs have been shot and sequenced. Tags are in hand for elk/deer in WA and wapiti in ID. And, any and all new gear has been respectively field tested. What are your last "5 or 6" things you need to do or buy, prepare, or ensure before the day hits that you head out for the adventure you've been waiting for all year? WA - 7-10 SEP, ID - 15-30 SEP. Mine are as follows (yep, I'm almost there):

1. Buy batteries for the GPS and headlamp.
2. Make additional copies of area maps.
3. Buy three 8 ounce jetboil fuel containers.
4. Buy some Wylers chicken/beef boullion cubes (nice for evening hot drinks).
5. Confirm ID wild game processor hours to drop off the elk we'll shoot there for processing.
6. Buy a bottle of premium sipping beverage to put into a packable flask (for medicinal purposes only).. Dotman will like this last entry.

What do you cats have left to do before you pull out? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Finishing Touches

Postby dotman » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 2]

All I have left to do is get that dang chilli powder, keep forgetting and a big bag of trail mix to measure out into daily snack portions. I'm also going to do my final pack run through this weekend. Then I just need to gas up and hit the road Monday after I end my day of work which i'm moving up from 5ish to noonish :)

Oh yeah I need to get my new rangefinder and test it out with my bow, 1 more day and it should be in the mail :)
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 3]

dotman wrote:All I have left to do is get that dang chilli powder, keep forgetting and a big bag of trail mix to measure out into daily snack portions. I'm also going to do my final pack run through this weekend. Then I just need to gas up and hit the road Monday after I end my day of work which i'm moving up from 5ish to noonish :)

Oh yeah I need to get my new rangefinder and test it out with my bow, 1 more day and it should be in the mail :)

Assuming you can count skittles in a bowl :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby dotman » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Phantom16 wrote:
dotman wrote:All I have left to do is get that dang chilli powder, keep forgetting and a big bag of trail mix to measure out into daily snack portions. I'm also going to do my final pack run through this weekend. Then I just need to gas up and hit the road Monday after I end my day of work which i'm moving up from 5ish to noonish :)

Assuming you can count skittles in a bowl :)

I can do it blindfolded :o Just ask my wife I can sniff these things out!
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Ha Ha, I love the confidence!!! If you win you should have it by Monday!!!! (grin)

I too have a few small things to gather up to touch off my pack!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bullrub » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I have nothing to finishing up, just waiting for opening day. But I'm sure there will be something I forgot.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Freebird134 » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I don't want to even admit how much I have left to do!!! 17 days...
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby stringunner » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 8]

One last quick stop to the grocery store for milk and bread. Load the truck and trailer tomorrow. Then try my hardest to make it through work on Thursday then on the road real early Friday!
stringunner

Postby sockeye » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Going today to get an extra key made for the vehicle. On the way to camp next week I will pick up some milk, banannas and ice.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott