Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Anyone going traditional this year?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Anyone going traditional this year?

Postby Freebird134 » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 1]

We were just shooting some trap today and one of the old guys pulled out his longbow for me to shoot. I surprised myself with how well I was shooting out to 15 yards (paper plate kind of groups). I'm sticking with my compound this year, but it definitely gave me that bug again to work on my longbow shooting.

Anyone taking a longbow or recurve out this year? Lets see those trad kill pics!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Anyone going traditional this year?

Postby stykbow67 » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Yep, this year an the last 20+ years, I managed to kill a spike up around Estes Park before it was a LE unit but not much luck since then opefully this year i can get-r-done!

Steve
stykbow67

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Ehlers

Postby Freebird134 » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Good luck Steve! I hope this is the year for you! I can't wait until I make my first big game trad kill! Probably won't be this year, unless I fill the freezer early and get in some good practice with my longbow!!!
Freebird134

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Not this year! I've done it for a few years in the past but will be hunting with the AM32 this year! Gotta love trad gear though & the challenges it represents! Good luck Stykbow67!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby horseshoe » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Bringing both again this year. Both are dialed in and ready to rock! I think I'll stick with the re-curve if they're talking and coming to the calls. if not, I'll pull out the heavy artillery! or...maybe the other way around?....new area, not as thick as last year. oh, i just don't know! decisions...decisions....
horseshoe

Postby Broken arrow » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Even though I can't make it this year that is all I hunt with! Other than a shotgun for ducks n geese. It's simple effective and just feels right. No range finder, release, pins, etc just pick a hair and let it fly!
Broken arrow

Postby Freebird134 » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Post some traditional gear pics!!!
Freebird134

Postby foxvalley » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Freebird134 wrote:Post some traditional gear pics!!!

Freebird, Is this traditional kick of yours,new, or have you always had an interest?
Here is my traditional setup,elburg longbow,handmade hickory arrows,and 160 gr.magnus 2 blade broadheads.
Check out Three Rivers Archery.com if you haven't already done so.
DSCF0237.jpgcompress.jpg
DSCF0237.jpgcompress.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 6861 times
DSCF0238.jpgcompress.jpg
DSCF0238.jpgcompress.jpg (52.56 KiB) Viewed 6861 times

We are bringing our traditional equipment as backup. Been hunting with traditional for 25 years now,the biggest issue that I have had with elk with traditional,is when they come in towards you,it's so hard to draw on them without them seeing it.(preplaybook) You need to call and move,or have a partner to bring the bull by the shooter, not at him.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby RockChucker30 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I got a Black Widow PSA V recently as a late wedding gift and it'll be going to CO with me in a couple weeks. I plan to hunt with the compound and use the recurve as a backup, but if the elk are stuck in the oak brush I may pull out the Widow. I think it would have an advantage in situations where the shots would be fast and close.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Freebird134 » 08 22, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Foxvalley, I've always been intersted in traditional gear. My wife bought me Bear Montana longbow for a christmas present our first christmas dating (wow. that was almost 10 years ago). I've killed a few rabbits with it, but that's it. I really don't think I'm going to be ready this year, but soon. I want a big game kill with that longbow. Bad.
Freebird134

Postby foxvalley » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Hey Freebird,
Sounds like a cool longbow you have,I don't think I have ever seen one.
Don't be afraid to take it out hunting, as I have never been more than an average shot,and if I waited till my shooting improved I never would have killed anything with it.
By far, the most important thing to be able to do is focus on a quarter,half dollar sized spot.Don't see the tree,see a leaf on the tree,don't see the car,look at a tire on the car,then focus on one lug nut.Your mind will want to pull back to the whole tree,or car,now focus even harder,and the tree or car will disapearand all you will see is (the spot)Thats focus. A motionless target is easy,now try it on a walking dog,or something moving. If you practice this you can train your mind to do this. This is the key.You will almost always miss what you are focused on,but,if your focus is on a quarter sized spot,you missed the quarter,but hit the 50 cent piece. I know guys that can hit a tea cup at 30 yards,just about every time.... on the target, but they miss the mark on a deer by a foot at 8 yards. Master this, and you will be very deadly with your traditioal equipment!
foxvalley

Postby Rod » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I will be chasing elk in a couple weeks with my Big River longbow! Been shooting trad gear for 30+ years, works great & I love the challenge of getting close!
Rod

First Name: Rod
Last Name: Heidemann

Postby KZ » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Bought a Black Widow Recurve in December, then gave both my compounds away. I've shot it almost every day since I got it. I'm somewhat nervous about elk hunting with it, but I'm fully committed to it. It is so much more fun to shoot then a compound. If I'm able to kill an elk with it, I will be so happy!!
KZ

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Zeit

Postby foxvalley » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 14]

KZ wrote:Bought a Black Widow Recurve in December, then gave both my compounds away. I've shot it almost every day since I got it. I'm somewhat nervous about elk hunting with it, but I'm fully committed to it. It is so much more fun to shoot then a compound. If I'm able to kill an elk with it, I will be so happy!!

Hey KZ,
My first traditional bow was a widow,way back when, I think 1988, I loved that bow. Unfortunatly, I didn't know at the time that draw lengths are very different than for compounds, and ordered the widow with a draw length 4 inches too long. I did manage to kill a bunch of animals with it including a P&Y black bear and caribou,but it never shot right for me because of the too long draw,so I sold it to a guy with longer arms,and picked up an elburg longbow,the jaguar. I have killed lots of elk, with the elburg, and traditional does the job very well,but is very challenging.
foxvalley

Postby ferris bugler » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Yep. This year and every year. Love it.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby bowbender » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 16]

This is Bowbwnder from Bellingham Wa. My buddy Curt from Brisky Bows and I hunt every year with Trad equip. Two yrs ago we were in Co, Last yr we went to Montana where I called a nice 5x5 into 7 yrds for Curt to arrow. This year it's back to Montana. We have a blast with trad bows. We always have a bunch of compound shooters stop by our camp and shoot some of our bows. Never seen grown men laugh like little kids again!!
bowbender

First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Lehfeldt

Postby leatherneck longbow » 09 11, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I will be taking my homemade laminated longbow . It is always traditional for me cause it works for me.
leatherneck longbow

First Name: vince
Last Name: gewinner

Postby Freebird134 » 10 30, 2012 •  [Post 18]

foxvalley wrote:Hey Freebird,
Sounds like a cool longbow you have,I don't think I have ever seen one.
Don't be afraid to take it out hunting, as I have never been more than an average shot,and if I waited till my shooting improved I never would have killed anything with it.

FV: I took this advice last week and went out with my longbow. I limited myself to 12 yard shots, and built a ground blind where I knew some deer had been passing. Right at dark a doe came by at 10 yards and I missed!!! :( I'm not sure what happened, but I had hair stuck between the shaft and the feather of the arrow, but no blood. I must have glanced right off her. I was so shook up and on an adrenaline high--even from a miss!--I cant wait to get back out with my trad equipment!!!
Freebird134