Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calibrate Your GPS!!!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calibrate Your GPS!!!!!

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

OK folks, don't forget to calibrate your GPS anytime you get to another State to hunt, or hunting the same state but 100's of miles away or everytime you change out or remove your batteries! Too, if in the woods using it & the arrow wanders when it shouldn't to give positive direction it's possible you need to stop & re-calibrate right then & there! Just a heads up to do this so your unit will be trouble free!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Calibrate Your GPS!!!!!

Postby bullrub » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Thats a great tip Paul, thanks for reminding us. I also alway take along with my GPS a compass. You never know when the unit might stop working.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby JimKirk » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

man that is true. recently i knew my compass on the gps was acting wacky. then playing around with it I found a calibrate compass option, once I did that, it started agreeing with my pocket compass again.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby tracker12 » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Never thought to do that. Guess I better check out my Etrex Vista and find out where that option is. Have not done that for awhile.
tracker12

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

This might be a dumb question but!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't the new GPS do this automatically? I know when I bought my Garmin Legend HCX, and was setting it up, when I got to that part , it was already reading properly for my location and time zone. But I have never used it in other time zones.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby one_elk » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 6]

A GPS needs to genearte a new almanc when you move over a hundred miles or so, they do, do it automatically but it can take a bit longer than it regularly would with that said it is always good to recalibrate your electroic compass, if your unit has one also good to cablibrate your altimeter both of which shouldn't take over five minutes. Calibrations just lead to better and more accuracte location informaiton in the end...
one_elk

Postby sockeye » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Would it recalibrate if you kept in on while traveling to your hunting spot? For instance My hunting partner and I will be driving different vehicles, however we both have the Rhino Garmins and will be using the radios to communicate while traveling.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby one_elk » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 8]

yes it will reset it almanc as long as you have it on but still good to recalibrate your compass and altimeter....
one_elk

Postby sockeye » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Tks one_elk.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby tracker12 » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 10]

The only thing that recalibrates is the compass. It's where you have to turn your GPS in a circle real slow. Not sure how moving great distances effects the accuracy. It only takes about a minute so I figure what the heck better safe than sorry.
tracker12

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Tracker, agreed! Not sure about the great distance accuracy either but no need to chance it, avoid issues & re-calibrate!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul