Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

anyone get a Vortex rangefinder in their hands yet?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

anyone get a Vortex rangefinder in their hands yet?

Postby pointysticks » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

mine (nikon) misses a beat occasionally. thinking of getting a new one. been looking for a used Leica, but they are difficult to find, and can still be decent $$. anyone mess around with a Vortex unit yet? i love the belt clip! i think it is a great idea.

just looking for a honest review.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: anyone get a Vortex rangefinder in their hands yet?

Postby Goneelkn » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I'll let you know when i win one from Paul!! My Nikon is doing the same thing. Sent it in to Nikon and they wouldn't honor the warranty without the original sales receipt. I had the box and paper work, but no receipt. Luckily Cabelas honored the warranty and sent me another Nikon. Will probaly sell that one and buy something else. Was lookin at the Vortex.
Goneelkn

Postby N5J » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Received my Vortex 1000 in the mail today...Thanks Paul!! I'm hunting archery antelope now, lucky to get a over the counter left over tag so putting it to the test tomorrow. So far in the back yard I'm impressed...the display/yardage comes up quick! I really like the red display, yardage is easy to see and very bright in the direct sun light. The glass is cristal clear and eye relief is outstanding WHY better than my old Bushnell Yardage Pro. Also like the all rubberized unit NO slippage. Comes with eveything you need in the box to get hunting right away. Lithium battery included, allen wrench to switch the belt holder from RT to LT handed folks. I'll let you know how it works in the field.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby 6t4nova » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I've had one since late April. Used it in South Africa in May and it performed flawlessly. LOVE it! Like mentioned before, the red display is easy to pick up and I like that you can adjust the brightness of it. The belt clip comes in really handy. Overall the unit is well thought out and works great. Can't think of anything that I would change on it. It's well worth the money spent. No regrets at all with the purchase. If your in the Denver area, let me know and you can check it out first hand.
6t4nova

Postby N5J » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I'm NOT a vortex prostaff member....just a regular hunter! I hunt with bow and rifle...bow perfered. So here goes....I've been using the rangefinder for the last few days, been hunting antelope from a blind and spot/stock. I've noticed that I was able to range targets with very little light and there wasn't anything (so far) that I couldn't get a reading off of. I was checking the low light stuff and I could barely see and I was ranging brush to get my distances. Also the distances pop up quick for a quick read on the distance. I like the 3 brightness dispays because in the dark the lowest dispays was better and the HI dispaly was better in the direct sunlight. I wear glasses and you don't need to roll down the rubber eye piece if you don't want, eye relief is great! Only had this in my hands for 3 days and really impressed so far. The main reason I bought this over any other rangefinder is the warranity. I didn't have to regisitor or keep any receipts. The warranity is transferable to any one BUT I'm not letting mine go any where!

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby pointysticks » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 6]

thanks for that. nice review.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby one_elk » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Not yet but if the skittles line up right I will soon....
one_elk

Postby bowpackerrob » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Just got mine today. Very impressed, definitley a keeper. Simple to use and love the adjustabilty of the lighting especially as it gets close to dark as was stated earlier by N5J. I have been using a Leica 1600 but I think Vortex has hit a homerun with this.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker