Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado Clothing Question

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado Clothing Question

Postby erictski » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I know this comes up alot but i might have missed the answer i was looking for.

During your hunts in september between the 10th and 20th, do you guys typically stay warm enough with simply your camo pants without any long johns or anything underneath.

I purchased a pair of Gander Mountain Core pants, seem slightly heavier than Sitka ascent pants, but definately not 90% pants heavy.

My question is do you layer under your ascent pants at all on a typical day, or do you find that your legs are always comfortable and if you get chilly just throw on your down vest or light jacket and stay perfectly comfortable.

I am trying to decide if I need to be packing a pair of light long johns in my day pack at all times or if just the down vest would suffice.
erictski

Re: Colorado Clothing Question

Postby Vanish » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

It can be cold in the morning. I will have my Long Johns on then. That is pretty much the only time of day I wear them. I've never needed to put them back on later in the day.

We usually go back to camp for lunch and drop them off then, but not everyone does that.

Disclaimer: Everyone has said that "its been unseasonably warm" the last couple of years, so beware my experiences do not cover too far back!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby one_elk » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Depends on the day, they don’t add much additional weight but most of the time if I am going to need them it will be in the morning hours….
one_elk

Postby tracker12 » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I would definite;ly jhave a pair on hand. If you are cold you are uncomfortable and your hunt will suffer. I find the mornings during that time frame can get cold. And even in the evenings after a long hard day I get a chill. I always error on the side of caution.
tracker12

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Dress in layers. I very rarely wear Long johns unless I plan on sitting in a tree stand on a very cold morning. When I leave on a quad early in the morning I will wear a heavy jacket but leave it on the quad when headed into the woods. I normally wear a long sleeve camo T shirt, a long sleeve camo button shirt, mid weight cargo pants. When you plan on run and gun trying to locate a bull, it gets warm quick. About once every 10 years or so we get snow in Sept for a few days, but rare. We usually get a little frost in the mornings at 9000 feet by the 2 nd week of Sept. We tend to get more warm rain, wind and thunder storms than cold weather. I've been bowhunting in Colorado for over 35 years and probably only wore long johns 3 times during that time. Best bet is to just be prepared for any kind of weather for Colorado. The old saying, if you do not like the weather in Colorado, just wait 15 min, and it will change. :roll:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby ferris bugler » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Almost never even put them on. I wear the Cabela's guide pant and am almost always plenty warm. I feel like when it's cold I am moving on elk and once it's time to sit and wait out the elk usually it's warmed up.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Huntography » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I layer. Firstlite merino wool tops and bottoms. Not only do they regulate your temp when its both hot and cold, they are the best natural odor fighting base layers I have ever worn. I wore them for 5 days straight in the backcountry of CO last week and they did not stink at all. I was blown away. Others in my group went through 2-3 different baselayers and they stunk.

On top of that, I wear Day One light fleece tops and bottoms. They are t-shirt thin and quiet. Awesome.

Merino wool socks. Uninsulated Keens and Wolverine Antelope boots w/ a replacement cushioned insole. Ahhhh. I was so comfortable and walking miles upon miles.

Hope some of this helps.

-Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby RockChucker30 » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 8]

This year in CO I wore:

Top:
Icebreaker 150 wt tee
First Lite Llano
First Lite Chama
Marmot Zeus 1/2 zip down pullover jacket
Marmot Precip rain jacket

Bottom:
Exofficio give n go boxer brief
Icebreaker 200 wt base layer
Kuiu Attack pants

This system worked great for temps from the 30's to the 70's. If it was cold and rainy or down in the 20's each day I probably couldve used a vest or another insulating layer.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby one_elk » 09 20, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Speedo and body paint is all you need in CO this year, its been another warm one
one_elk

Postby pointysticks » 09 21, 2012 •  [Post 10]

one_elk wrote:Speedo and body paint is all you need in CO this year, its been another warm one

hahhahaha..

gonna take some boozing to blind my mind's eye on this one..hahahhaha
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Vanish » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 11]

one_elk wrote:Speedo and body paint is all you need in CO this year, its been another warm one

No kidding, at least where we were. In the sun, at 9600ft, the temp read in the 90s or higher.

I wore UA base layer 2.0 top/bottom, a pair of light pants, a tshirt, and a sweatshirt for the dark hike in. Never even pulled out my warm hat.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel