Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Backpacking List- Archery Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Backpacking List- Archery Elk

Postby MTLongdraw » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I have plans to do my first back country hunting trip this September without horses to pack my stuff. I'm planning on doing 3 days at a time. I stole a list off the internet and added/deleted a few things. Anything on here that you guys would recommend I add or get rid of for that matter? It's going to be about 4-6 miles in depending which way we decide to go. Hope to keep the pack around 50 pounds.

HUNTING GEAR
Backpack
Bow/arrows/broadheads Release
Rangefinder
String wax
Allen wrenches/bow repair gear
Binoculars
Camo facepaint
Calls (grunt tube, mouth diaphragms)
Bow sling
Maps/Compass/GPS/batteries
Flashlight/headlamp/extra batteries.
Lighter/matches
First-aid kit
Knife/sharpening steel
100 feet of nylon cord
Plastic flagging
Folding saw (antlers, camp projects)
CAMPING GEAR
Tent
Tarp for shelter, gear storage outside of tent
Therm-a-Rest
Sleeping bag
Small pillow
Toothbrush and paste
Band-Aids
Soap
Lighter
Toilet paper
Towel and washcloth/ Extra contacts and solution

KITCHEN
Jet Boil
Extra fuel
Matches/lighter
Spork (or spoon and fork)
Cup (doubles as cereal bowl, coffee cup)
Dish cloth/soap
Alarm clock
Plastic bags
Flashlight
Water filter

GENERAL
Hunting license/tags
Game bags (six lightweight
Camera/extra batteries
Water bottle (2 large Nalgene bottles)
Needle/thread
Unscented baby wipes in Ziploc bag
CLOTHES
Hiking boots
Lightweight shoes
Lightweight socks (one pair of each for two days)
Heavyweight socks (one pair of each for two days)
T-shirts (two)
Under Armour Spandex (two)
Longjohns (one set, lightweight)
Lightweight shirt
Lightweight pants (2 pairs of camo, 1 pair of camp pants, 1 pair of jeans)
Fleece shirt or jacket
Lightweight gloves
Lightweight hat
Down or fleece vest
Raingear

FIRST-AID KIT
Aspirin
Band-Aids
Gauze pads
Neosporin
Diarrhea medicine
Moleskin
Medications
FOOD
Breakfast: Granola w/powdered milk in plastic bags (just add water), instant oatmeal, coffee, hot chocolate
Lunch: Hard rolls or tortillas with cheese, dried beef, pb&j, granola bars, candy bars, gorp, jerky
Dinners: Freeze-dried dinners, Top Ramen noodle dinners
***As far as food goes I may just take Mountain Houses and do a granola bar and some other easy stuff for breakfast.***
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Re: Backpacking List- Archery Elk

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 2]

One thing I notice right off is no duct tape. I rap it around the handle of my flashlight. Works on anything from leaks to stopping a bleed. Also, mini tie-straps are a great thing to carry.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby MTLongdraw » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Thanks John. I never thought of tie straps. I know there is no better way to learn than first hand knowledge, but I want to go somewhat prepared. :D Have a feeling after one trip I'll have most of the kinks figured out.
MTLongdraw

Postby foxvalley » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

The list looks good. The only question is what kind of folding saw? Something simular to the wyoming saw is best,a pruning saw is very hard to cut the antlers off with.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby JimKirk » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I've backpacked fished, hunted and general backpacking alot so here's my 2 cents worth on your list-

HUNTING GEAR

Allen wrenches/bow repair gear-I'd leave this at the car- the need is very unlikely

CAMPING GEAR
Tent
Tarp for shelter, gear storage outside of tent-the liklely hood of needing a tarp and tent is unlikely- rain in sept is the exception rather than the rule

Small pillow-use your game bags with a few clothes stuffed inside.

Towel and washcloth-a small absorbant towel is all you really need

Extra fuel-one jetboil container is enough for 4-5 days after looking at your menu.

Alarm clock-does your watch have one?

Water filter-I use aqua miera- only weighs like an ounce-enough for around 20 gallons of water
Water bottle (2 large Nalgene bottles)-nalegenes are actually heavy when compared to a collapsible one like a platypus. I like one hard container for getting water out of the creek so I use a 1 liter gatorade bottle. I also have a 8 liter platypus for treating a bunch of water at once so I don't have to necessarily camp right by a creek. it weighs 3 ounces.
Unscented baby wipes in Ziploc bag-very good idea

CLOTHES
Hiking boots
Lightweight shoes-nice but a luxury if they weigh very much
Lightweight socks (one pair of each for two days)-for sept just two pair of socks is good enough
T-shirts (two)
Under Armour Spandex (two)-this stuff is good enough for long johns, I'd take either the under armor or long johns but not both
I'd only do one shirt and one pair of pants which you will be wearing, the camp pants and jeans aren't really necessary, just wear your camo.

Down or fleece vest
Raingear-get camo raingear and let that be your hunting jacket. most sept days the hunting jacket isn't even necessary, just a camo shirt

you have a good menu which simply requires boiling water so another suggestion is a alcohol stove- i just bought one called feathefly xl http://packafeather.com/xlstove.html. its only about 3 ounces including the windscreen. the alcohol also doubles as a fire starter. it is way slower than your jetboil but quite a bit less weight.

you definitely got all bases covered. I'd just say you probably have too many clothes as I find they take up alot of pack room and for sept aren't usually necessary. good luck, you will really get into the hunt living in the backcountry. its a fun and rewarding experience and you will earn any animal you take-and feel it too on the pack out!
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby MTLongdraw » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 6]

@ foxvalley I have a couple different saws. I do have a WY saw and i also have a folding Gerber. I guess as far as horns go if I get something they're coming out on the skull for a European mount no matter what size it is. I know the WY saw is good for wood and little camp projects. Jim thanks for the advice.
MTLongdraw

Postby Vanish » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I agree with what JimKirk has said, but will also touch on a few other things. The biggest thing, in my opinion, I notice about your list is that it feels more like you're packing for 9+ days. 3 days is just not that long, not to mention it is archery season.

Disclaimer: Most of my experience has been fishing trips, not hunting, but I've done dozens of backcountry fishing trips up to 7 days.

HUNTING GEAR
String wax - Too short of a timeframe to need
Camo facepaint - Its all about movement. After a day of hunting, this stuff is nasty in the wilderness as well.

CAMPING GEAR
Tarp for shelter, gear storage outside of tent - My gear goes in the tent or vestibule.
Small pillow - As Jim suggested
Towel and washcloth - You've got baby wipes as well. Excessive.

KITCHEN
Extra fuel - A full can should easily cook enough for 4 people and 5 days.
Dish cloth/soap - A little oatmeal in your coffee won't hurt
Alarm clock - Can you combine gps/alarm clock or watch/alarm clock? I use my iPhone for all 3.
Plastic bags - For garbage? Use leftover ziplocs from food
Flashlight - You have this listed before under camping. Shouldn't need another one.

GENERAL
Extra batteries - Its 3 days, just use good ones to start, or, hopefully have one set of extra batteries to share between all devices.

CLOTHES
Lightweight shoes - I use some super light sandals around camp.
T-shirts (two) - You've got a lightweight shirt listed as well, cut it to one or none
Lightweight pants (2 pairs of camo, 1 pair of camp pants, 1 pair of jeans) - 2 total at the most, I suggest you keep one pair as "camp pair" and only switch them if wet

FIRST-AID KIT
Diarrhea medicine - Don't you know what you're eating? :D

FOOD
Dinners: Top Ramen noodle dinners - imo, not enough calories with this option, nice "extra" though
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby WillyP » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

You said WE. Think shared items. It cuts a crapload of weight when you share between 2 or three folks. You can divide up a 2 or 3 person tent between everyone. One stove will cook for everyone as will one big pot. An esbit tab or two and a single wall mug will let you do a one person hot lunch or coffee/soup etc . See where I'm heading with this. Get everyone in the group together and go over lists and delete a large chunk of redundant crap.
WillyP

First Name: William
Last Name: Comer

Postby WindedBowhunter » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I didn't see water filtration solution (pump, chemicals, UV)
I didn't see a SPOT or Satellite phone
I see you have T-SHirts, wouldn't recommend cotton! Stick to merino wool or synthetic
I might add Firesteel with a fatwood and or vasaline soaked cotton balls. This combo lights even when wet!
Dinner, I would recommend some Mtn House meals. They will provide you more calories, protein for the next day
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Freebird134 » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Listen to Jimkirk and Vanish. You have packed more stuff for a 3 night trip than I take on a 9 day trip! My pack weight for 9 days is under 50lbs (including weight of pack, all gear, and my bow).
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 11]

MTlongdraw.. Have you settled on our backcountry list yet? Curious to see what you've settled on. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby MTLongdraw » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I sort of took some information from everyone. I really appreciate the advice. I was packed way to heavy. This is the new list. Thanks again all who contributed.

Backpack
Bow/arrow/broadhead/sling
rangefinder
binos
face cover
calls/bugle tube
maps/gps/extra set of batteries
2 headlamps
duct tape/zip ties
1st aid kit/mole skin
knife sharpener
p cord
saw
tent
sleeping bag and pad
tbrush/paste/contacts/solution
soap
toilet paper
towel
jet boil w/ 1 extra fuel
spork
coffee cup/ coffee packets
3 large gallon zip lock bags (store days clothes)
food
water filter
tags
6 game bags
camera
water bottles
needle and thread
unscented baby wipes
hiking boots
2 pairs of socks
3 shirts (synthetic type)
2 pairs of camo pants
gloves
beanie

I'll hopefully get it all together this week and make some final adjustments from there. Only 12 more days. Headed out Tuesday and Wednesday to find the buggers.
MTLongdraw

Postby JimKirk » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 13]

much better . i bet your pack lost 20 lbs. your legs will thank you for it. I bet you will refine it even more after the 1st weekend. you are gonna love sleeping out there in elk country. strangely I sleep better out there when I am alone than I do in my on place. something about leaving all the communication links behind. good luck brother!
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby tracker12 » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I for one would keep the "Extra Batteries" on my list. They go bad even when you think they are new. Very tuff to qtr and elk at 2am with no light. Worse yet try to find your way back to camp. I never skimp on survival items.
tracker12

Postby Freebird134 » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 15]

For a 3 day trip i wouldnt take extra stove fuel. Also, why 2 pants and 3 shirts? That seems like too much unless they are a layerig system
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby WindedBowhunter » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Like Freebird134, my pack on the scale loaded for a 10 day backountry hunt weighs in at 47lbs. (3 liter bladder filled with water). The only items not on or in my pack when weighed were binos, bow and clothes I wear/hunt it.
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby fisherick » 08 29, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I agree with what jimkirk and vanish wrote. You have too much extras/backup gear and clothes for 3 days. Your gear should do multible functions not just one, except 1st aid/survival supplies. One extra shirt, boxers, and socks is plenty. Maybe add a down vest if weather is cold.
My 3-nite base pack weight is 21#, with food, water and fuel is 28# and skin-out weight is 40# ( pack, clothes worn, bow/arrows, and other gear carried)This is with a 1p tent, BA IAC pad, and 15* bag for comfort.
fisherick

First Name: Richard
Last Name: Jusczak