Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why I never......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why I never......

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Why I never hunt alone?

About 10 years ago a good friend was excited about his retirement. He'd been a hunter most of his life and was looking forward to spending the month in the mountains. One night during his month long hunt, his appendix burst. No one really knows how long it took him to get to a spot where he could phone for help. But when he did he was unable to speak and was fading in and out of consciousness. It took Search and Rescue a long time to find him. After a life flight to a hospital he passed away from heart failure. The doctor said the infection was wide spread so he had spent at least 12 hours in trouble.

The best hunter can get into trouble very quickly, so please hunt with a partner. For those that can afford it, the SPOT Personal Tracker is a great piece of equipment to carry.
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Why I never......

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I have been retired for 9 years, and hunt the entire archery elk season. My hunting partners live in another state and usually get to elk camp 2 or 3 days later than me, so I am out scouting and setting up cameras and stands with no one else in camp. My back up is that I call in every day to a family member to let them know I am back in camp. If They do not hear from me by a certain time they are to call the local emergency numbers I gave them with exact GPS coordinates where I would be. At my age, I am taking a chance. My best friend that is 2 years older, has the Spot and never leaves camp without it. We are fortunate that we have phone service in camp.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby JimKirk » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 3]

i think one of those spot transmitters might be the way to go. a friend sent me spot messages last year and his messages took me to google maps with gps waypoints. I've been considering one because I am out nearly every weekend scouting alone.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby Freebird134 » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Sad story, but a good lesson to learn. I think a lot of us are too cocky. I don't know if it's just "internet forum talk" or if people really believe what they type, but it seems like a huge proportion of guys I come across online have no real respect for the mountains and their own limitations. At some point I would like to do a big backcountry hunt on my own, but a SPOT will definitely be in my bag. We all accept some level of risk when we go into the mountains, but it's important not to let our egos get in the way of our responsibilities to our loved ones (if not our own lives). Be safe guys!!!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby outdoordan » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Just so you know, we rent the spot locators. Go to http://www.westernhuntrentals.com

Forum Sponsor

Hunt Hardcore
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Postby Freebird134 » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

outdoordan wrote:Just so you know, we rent the spot locators. Go to http://www.westernhuntrentals.com

Forum Sponsor

Hunt Hardcore

PMin' ya!!! I already have a SPOT reserved with another company for September, but if you can help us out I'd rather give my $ to a forum sponsor!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Dan, are there different models for hunters to consider or one size can be tailored to all?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Flintlocker » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Followed a photographer friend with the online mapping with his Spot tracker as he spent a month in Alaska traveling about. Pretty neat technology.
Flintlocker

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Plank

Postby foxvalley » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Sorry about your friend John.
A few years ago,the locked gate where we parked our truck was torn out of the ground by someone in desperate need.......it made us think......We never did find out what happened,but I know it was bad.
On the flip side,you can get hit by a bus getting your mail.

Hunting alone in the mtns. I think,is one of the greatest experiences that you will have,as it adds the next element of exitement,and danger just by being alone. There is nobody there that has your back.
That being said, only persons that have the proper skills required to navigate,survive,first aid skills, etc, should ever consider doing this. As freebird said, there is a huge difference between being cockey, and having the skills to do this. Every step,every desision must be taken into consideration for where you are and what you are doing. The team of elk hunters hunting together I believe has the greatest chance for success(caller- shooter) but I really love being alone in the mtns.

Last year I spent 10 days on a backpack solo hunt, and it was the first time with the spot. It gave me huge piece of mind,but even though I had the unit, I stayed a little closer to camp, stayed out of the more dangerous ereas,(blowdowns),and didn't take any chances. Spending time on a solo trip in the mtns. is the greatest way to test your skills,and is a huge sense of accomplishment whether you kill or not." What doesn't kill you makes you stonger."applies here.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 10]

The older and more clumsy I get, I got to thinking about this myself as I usually hunt alone. So this summer I bought an ACR ResQlink personal locator beacon. This thing is the real Mc Coy. If I push the button, it will send a signal with my GPS location to a world wide satalite system and the Airforce, Nat Guard, SAR or who ever can respond the quickest, is on the way to my location. Hope I never have to push the button! But it is great piece of mind just knowing I have it in my pocket.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 11]

there is a new product out there. InReach..i think it allows you to send and receive text messages from anywhere..
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby outdoordan » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Hi Paul! Well, there are the spot locators with or without the ability to text message. Basically, the inconnect allows you to send a text to your friends/family, and the regular spot will send a pre-written text to your family. I rent the regular spots with tracking progress that allows you to send two pre-written emails such as "doing great having a great time!" and a second one that might say "got one down, send the horses", to everyone on your email list you set up previous to embarking on your travels. The inconnect works with your smart phone, and you can write a text at that moment and send to your family. It will not receive any texts.

The new delorme will receive and transmit texts as previously noted.

I personally don't want to connect too much with anyone on my hunt, as I want anonymity! But,definitely letting them know I am alive...

Forum Sponsorhttp://www.westernhuntrentals.com/
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Postby LckyTylr » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I'm purchasing a SPOT this year if I don't get one for my birthday before the season starts. In addition to hunting, I Mountain Bike, Dirt Bike, Back-country Ski/Board, Camp, Fish and Scout . . . . . . . alone quite regularly. I'm 26 and very resourceful, but I have finally admitted to myself that I'm not invincible and that accidents happen. Having the peace of mind that a SPOT will give me will likely give me that much more confidence to push my physical limits in all of my hobbies. Maybe that's the wrong way to look at it, but hey, after all, I am still young and dumb.

Sorry about your friend, that's a tough loss. That's hard for a family to accept.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby elkaholic » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I have carried a SPOT with me for 4 yrs now. I routinely check in through out the day when I am in the woods. Huge peace of mind for my family and I. For now it is my partner till I find someone to hunt with.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby hornart » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Sorry about your Friend,John,, I grew up hunting the rugged cascade mountains as a small child, always by myself and in the rainforest climate that everyone hears about, made some mistakes but learned that mother nature can change in a heartbeat, one minute she is your friend and the next trying to kill you, never any serious injuries, Thankfully, but now, with the work related injuries that I have, my son-in-law got me a rino gps and he is always at my hunting camp to help me when I need him, I regularly update my position,and he knows where I am at all times even when I am hunting alone,I am thankful for my hunting partner,the one that never gets in my way
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Thanks guys for the comments on the the loss of my good friend. I'm sure he's hunting 364 days, in that elk filled forest in the sky. He has to take Superbowl Sunday off! :-)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 17]

John, I also lost my long time hunting buddy to cancer a few years ago. Dang, that was hard to take. I would just as soon given up my right arm rather than loose him. But I kinda look at it this way. "He's not gone! He's just scouting out heaven for out next big adventure together".
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics