Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Victory Arrows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Victory Arrows

Postby LckyTylr » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Anybody use these?

What model?

I shoot 65 lbs at 29.5" draw.

12 year old PSE Carerra. It's not what it used to be. It used to be a broadhead flingin' machine, now it's like shooting in a hurricane when I put broadheads on. I guess being 11 years old, cam bearings get worn and she won't stay tuned for very long. (can't afford a new bow yet. :-( )

I have always shot 55-70's, and then this year I was told that I should be shooting heavier splines, so i need to upgrade. I have been consistently getting slightly larger than softball size groups at 60 yards for the last few weeks with field tips, but I'm ready to start practicing with broadheads (shuttle T's).

Local pro shop said that the Victory arrows are what he would recommend to me.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: Victory Arrows

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 2]

The Victory arrows have been a good arrow for a lot of people, but a few years ago they had a lot of trouble with inserts. The insert design made it easy for it to slip out of the arrow in many types of targets, even when glued. I know for a while the company was just turning a blind eye to it, not sure that they actually ever did change that design. Personally if you're considering that arrow, I'd shoot the Gold Tips instead. Pretty much the same specs, but in my opinion, a better arrow with inserts that I know will stay. The Gold Tip Hunters are their midweight arrow, not real heavy not real light, not blazing fast but not super slow. The XT's are the more economical choice, and for 97% of guys, more than enough arrow with it's tolerences. Not sure what rest you shoot, but if it sits back a bit from the front of the riser, I'd get them cut at 29 or 28.5" to stiffen that spine up a little bit in case you ever choose to bump up your weight. Just so you are aware, the 7595's are a .340 spine. In case you go a different route in the Gold Tip line-up (I shoot the Kinetics) you'll be choosing the .300 spine. Hope this helps!
HurricaneHuge

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Victory arrows in the HV model is what my son shoots & has for a few years now. I tested some VAP Victory arrows not long ago & they are a very nice arrow with very good penetration! In all the testing I did with various brands & wts I found for penetration & speed value that if you can stay in the 6.5 to 6.7 grain of arrow wt X your draw wt. you will be in the ballpark. (add 10-15grn to total arrow wt with each inch over 28" draw) In other words 6.5X65lbs = 422grn total arrow wt. in your case, add 10-15grns to that for ultimate penetration for compounds! Shoot for a 425grn-445grn finish arrow wt & you will have a great Elk arrow for your setup! Your past 55/75 were 400 spine, that is very iffy at your draw wt & length, you must have shot 100grn heads to marginally tune out?

Issue with Victory HV arrows is their light (6.7grn) weight material used, it's difficult to get arrows in the 400grn+ range without adding the heavier brass inserts! This is easily done though!

If I were in your shoes I'd find an arrow in the 350--340--300 spine category or whatever it took from one of those 3 spines to achieve your finish arrow wt. If you know what wt broadhead you will use then go from there to find out how much arrow wt is needed to hit the mark needed for your setup! There is too light an arrow or too heavy an arrow when considering the best penetration per setup!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 4]

the bow wont stay spec tuned?

not so sure a new arrow will fix that, will it? i would save my money..can you shoot mechanical heads?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 5]

New arrows will work with a new setup.
HurricaneHuge