Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Knives for skinning, caping and quartering

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Knives for skinning, caping and quartering

Postby foxvalley » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Just thought I would like to pass on a little info on the knives that I use to not only break down an elk, the same ones that I use to skin and cape all my clients trophys in my taxidermy business. I also use these same knives to prossess all our venison. Are you ready?

The best knives that I have found are the chicago cutlery knives that you find in most big box department stores. The parring knife I use for skinning and caping. The 2 long knives that look like fish fillet knives I use for quartering and separating the meat,and removing the meat from the bones.I only take the shorter of the two out west with me.

The steel is soft in these knives,which means they sharpen fast, and they really hold a good edge.I use a gerber flat steel to bring back the edge.I also make a sheath for the knives out of cardboard,and wrap the two together with electrical tape. They are lightweight,and much easier to use than your"buck knife".They stay in my daypack all the time along with the wyoming saw.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: Knives for skinning, caping and quartering

Postby dotman » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Have you tried or compared the havalon knives? No sharpening, just replace the blade.
dotman

Postby idahoghost » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 3]

+1 Havalon
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby N5J » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

+2 Havalon with the replacement blades
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby mattstanton » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

havalon and my outdoor edge swingblade. Best combo I have found.
mattstanton

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Have a Havalon w/replacement blades I'm gonna give a whirl this year. Also have a fixed blade Gerber. Will take both :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby mattstanton » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Phantom16 wrote:Have a Havalon w/replacement blades I'm gonna give a whirl this year. Also have a fixed blade Gerber. Will take both :)

always a good idea to bring what I call a "survival" knife when using a havalon. A good sturdy blade is very important in emergencies.
mattstanton

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 8]

mattstanton wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:Have a Havalon w/replacement blades I'm gonna give a whirl this year. Also have a fixed blade Gerber. Will take both :)

always a good idea to bring what I call a "survival" knife when using a havalon. A good sturdy blade is very important in emergencies.

Agree 100% Matt. Up until this year, it was the Gerber fixed blade (which can shave the chin wiskers off a tick) and my old Shrade Uncle Henry lockblade that I've had for over 25years. Some of you old timers may remember, Uncle Henry's used to be guaranteed against "loss".. Yep, true story. Kinda doubt if they do that any more ;) .
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby foxvalley » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Sounds like a lot of havalon users out there.
I have never used one, but did see them advertised. How many blades does it take to skin, quarter, and cape an elk?
I can usually prossess about 200 animals with (1) blade. lol.
foxvalley

Postby mattstanton » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

foxvalley wrote:Sounds like a lot of havalon users out there.
I have never used one, but did see them advertised. How many blades does it take to skin, quarter, and cape an elk?
I can usually prossess about 200 animals with (1) blade. lol.

I can have an elk ready to pack using 2 blades. That includes boning out the front shoulders. The thing is they are so sharp, the speed at which you can break an animal down is amazing. In all reality, now that I have learned the process, one good fixed blade knife can do it without re-sharpening but I will stick with my piranta.
mattstanton

Postby tracker12 » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I have a 20+ year old Gerber mili blade that use for the heavy work. I cut out the backstraps and cape with an Outdoor Edge folding Fillet knife that I absolutely love. Nuce thing about the Outdoor edge is that they cheap as S&*t.
tracker12

Postby dotman » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 12]

mattstanton wrote:

Agree 100%, I always have my fixed blade with me.
dotman

Postby foxvalley » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 13]

compressed.jpg
compressed.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
compressed 2.jpg
compressed 2.jpg (58.27 KiB) Viewed 8380 times

Here are the knives that I use for breaking down an elk.(besides the scalpel) The parring works good for skinning, and caping. The medium blade works for skinning deboning, and quartering. The large blade works great for deboning and quartering. If you can sharpen a knife, you can get these as sharp as a scalpel.
I checked out the havelon knives and here is what I found. The blades look like they are made by the same co. that makes my scalpel blades,they are post mortum autopsy blades. They are extra thick blades which is a plus. However,the locking system is the same as on my scalpels, and the blade can slip out. Also being sugical steel the blades are brittle and can snap. Guessing the thicker autopsy blade would help eliminate that.The blades I'm sure are very sharp, but the blade design can't compare to chicago cutlery,where, I'm guessing these exact same blade designs were used in chicago to process hundreds of thousands of cattle and pigs. If a person had a hard time sharpening a knife, then the havalon would have it's place,but you can't beat the reliability and blade design of these knives.
foxvalley

Postby Lefty » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I use two "skinning knives; One by winchester the orther is a Browning, $13. and $26.
This year Im adding a Weibe Skinner http://dakotalinesnares.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=56_238&products_id=1035
Keeping a sharp blade is important. I keep an Arkansas stone and oil and a steel in the butchering package

Fox Valley I use your center knife for cutting up meat and cleaning birds but for caping/skinnig a sknner will save time
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I must be a little Old School.....been using an Old Timer 152 for 16 years and I'm afraid to change. Love the way it handles, easy to sharpen, and not to bulky or heavy.
Haulin'Quarters