Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Camo recommends

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Camo recommends

Postby Harmy » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Well, after folding my limited, mostly cotton camo for the billonth time this season I realize I really do not have appropriate hunting clothing and need to stop using my mountaineering clothing and switch out to camo. Looking for recommendations for all layers except super warm clothing as I am a hyper thermal person in general (can ice climb for hours with gloves off and never had cold feet). I don't mind paying top dollar as long as it is top quality (I am used to using Patagonia, Arcteryx, Black Diamond etc. and think TNF is relatively inferior stuff). I know nothing about hunting clothing and good brands so any recommendations would be great. From my limited experience with hunting equipment and clothing I feel that as a general rule the quality is far below what is sold in the climbing and mountaineering world. I would like to know if there are any brands that would compete at this level of performance, fit, and durability. I am also a big guy at 230, 5.11. Not really fat but broad (ok, compared to what I was 20 years ago I am fat...).
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Re: New Camo recommends

Postby dotman » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I use a combination of first lite, kuiu and outdoor research but I also do not use camo since I feel it isn't needed and like to use my gear for more then just hunting. FYI....too late for you to even think Kuiu's camo for this year, that stuff sells before they even get their shipments in.

Checkout russel, first lite and sitka.
dotman

Postby pointysticks » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

didnt Sitka start off making performance mountaineering gear? seems like they just took the stuff and made in camo pattern.

i like Dotman's list.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Vanish » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Harmy wrote:I need to stop using my mountaineering clothing and switch out to camo.

I don't know if you really need to change, as long as you have drab colors. The $$ charged for something of questionable use can be ridiculous. I'd focus more on the performance aspect of the clothing than camo.

That said ... I did not start out this way. Most of my camo doubles as my mountaineering clothing ! :mrgreen:
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Harmy » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

The primary complaint I have with my mountaineering clothing is that it is way too loud. Walking through brush makes huge noise. When I rub my arm across my chest my partners cringe from 20 feet away. It is also bright Red or Orange... This is true for my outer layers like gortex stuff. Plus, my outer rain layers are starting to leak as they are nearing 10+ years old. All my mid layers are mostly Schoeller fabrics and are also too loud for my preferences. As I upgrade I don't have a problem using my hunting clothing for other activities so this would not be of questionable use for me. Besides, after 30+ years of climbing I am finding that my interests are changing away from high angle stuff to hunting... Anyone need an Indian Creek rack? I have 12 sets...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby bowpackerrob » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

One piece of gear that i bought that I do like this year is the Sitka traverse hoody in open country. Personally I like to combine Sitka and KUIU. Dotman is right, the KUIU can be hard to come by this late, you would need to preorder to get it soon if they get it in stock. Great product!
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby dotman » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

If you truely do not care about camo go with the solid drab colors of first lite and kuiu. You will not get kuiu camo this year before bow season but can get their solids more then likely. The fit of the kuiu attack pants is amazing and first lite wool is the best out in my opinion.

First lite solid colors - dry earth and black
Kuiu solid colors - major brown, burnt olive, charcol and frost grey is on closeout.
dotman

Postby dreamingbig » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Kuiu and FirstLite. You can't go wrong with those two companies! I have both Kuiu and FirstLite base layers and Kuiu outer layers. The FirstLite kanab pants are awesome; they are 100% ripstop merino wool and perfect for September hunts.
dreamingbig