Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trail cams: set on pics or video?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trail cams: set on pics or video?

Postby eltaco » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I'm headed up for the weekend and plan on setting up two trail cams. Now the question is, should I set them to take images or video?!?!
eltaco

Re: Trail cams: set on pics or video?

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I usually set it on photo, but if I am checking it daily, sometimes I will change it to video. It's kinda neat to watch a bull tear up a wallow on video. Downside is it uses up a lot of memory and batteries. Birds and small animals tripping it. Last year 2 guys were setting up a stand by my camera. I had set it on video, and all the setting up and practice shots they were making from the stand filled the card.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby bullrub » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I set mine on pics., like crazyElk said video eats up batteries pretty fast. But it is pretty neat to watch a video.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby elkaholic » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Do you guys like to set them on a 1,2, or 3 picture burst? Only ask because I am setting mine up next weekend and I have never run one before.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby bullrub » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 5]

elkaholic wrote:Do you guys like to set them on a 1,2, or 3 picture burst? Only ask because I am setting mine up next weekend and I have never run one before.

I alway set mine for 2 shots with a 1 min. delay.
bullrub

Postby eltaco » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I did a 3-shot and 4-shot with 30 seconds delay. If that Cam is sitting there all day waiting for elk, I want a few pics when they finally show up! Last year I was getting 60-80 pics a week, so far from overloading the card!
eltaco

Postby elkaholic » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I have a 4gb chip in one and a 2gb in the other. 2 gb was the max for the Prowler. Im thinking of going with a 2 shot sequence with a 30 second delay. 2 weeks without checking them shouldn't give me any fits. I guess if they max out in that time that is a good thing!! :D :D :D
elkaholic

Postby 2OArchery » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 8]

elkaholic wrote:I have a 4gb chip in one and a 2gb in the other. 2 gb was the max for the Prowler. Im thinking of going with a 2 shot sequence with a 30 second delay. 2 weeks without checking them shouldn't give me any fits. I guess if they max out in that time that is a good thing!! :D :D :D

Just let me know where you put them and I'll go check for you :lol: I'll put up a cam, too, but mine only takes a 1gb card.

I've spent alot of time up there and I've only ever seen 1 cow up there... I'm obviously not doing it right :oops: .
2OArchery

Postby bullrub » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 9]

How many of you trail cam guys get a lot of wind pic. Make sure you trim up tree limbs and brush that are in the line of the sensor on the cam. First time I put mine out had 378 pic. I thought wow! jackpot after only a week I had found the spot. Well only 9 pics. were elk and the rest was the wind blowing the brush and tree limbs. So do what you can to keep the wind shots low. You will still get some no matter what, at least I do.
bullrub

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Depends on what you're concerned with. Here in WI, I'm always on Video for a few reasons: 1) If the camera is triggered, I'm gonna get a clear view of what triggered it, even if they're moving quick because they arent' being blurred in the image of a photo, 2) if the camera is in a spot I expect the deer to be moving slowly through, it allows me to see the bucks from multiple angles as the deer moves his head, letting me really evaluate (size, age, etc). 3) It's really cool watching them move in their natural environment. With elk, I'm new so I just want to know elk are using it. Either option is good. The newer cameras are great with battery and accept bigger memory cards, so I'm not worried abou that aspect.
HurricaneHuge

Postby eltaco » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 11]

3000+ pics a week?!?! Pics of what... that's an incredible amount of photos. That's one photo every 3.36 minutes on average...
eltaco

Postby elkaholic » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 12]

2OArchery wrote:
elkaholic wrote:I have a 4gb chip in one and a 2gb in the other. 2 gb was the max for the Prowler. Im thinking of going with a 2 shot sequence with a 30 second delay. 2 weeks without checking them shouldn't give me any fits. I guess if they max out in that time that is a good thing!! :D :D :D

Just let me know where you put them and I'll go check for you :lol: I'll put up a cam, too, but mine only takes a 1gb card.

I've spent alot of time up there and I've only ever seen 1 cow up there... I'm obviously not doing it right :oops: .

Thats awfully kind of ya...Some of the crap I'm going to put them in I might with I'd of had you check them... Haven't been out yet but next weekend is rapidly approaching and from then on it will be every weekend.
elkaholic

Postby JimKirk » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 13]

i usually do 1 pic a minute on water holes. If I am set up on a trail, I will do 2 pic burst in 20 or 30 seconds.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby one_elk » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Never really thought of using the video function I am just interested to know if they are there or not and what time they are there so my cameras are set to 1 pic per minute
one_elk