Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

GPS models

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

GPS models

Postby snake » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I will be purchasing a GPS soon and was wondering what kind I should get. I don't want to spend a ton of money on one because I still have several other items to buy as well. Any suggestions for a good model for a decent price?
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Re: GPS models

Postby dotman » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

The best bang for your money is the new garmin etrex line. It has all the bells and whistles (other then radio function) as the fancy touch screen models but it has something more, the ability to link up with not only US satts but Russian for better signal strength.

I have the etrex 20 with huntinggpsmaps CO plat4 map which has 24k topo and shows private property ownership plus all public land etc. this thing is amazing and it also has a much longer battery life then the more expensive models aince it takes less power to operate not having a touch screen. The display is super easy to read in full sunlight. Really amazing and you should be able to find it for $150-$180.

Do not buy the older etrex models over the new etrex 20 or 30 or you woll not be getting the best bang for your buck with all that these units offer.
dotman

Postby N5J » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

If you want a basic GPS look at the Garmin Dakota 10. It has all the basic features but NO maps. I've had mine for 6 months now and really like what is has to offer...I'm not into all the maps when I'm in the field. I like to keep it simple.... :D

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby elkohalic » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Garmin Rino 530 Got it on e-bay $400 Absolutely love it
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby Swede » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I prefer Garmin. For the bucks you want to spend, I would get one that doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but will pick up satelites quickly and store waypoints.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby dotman » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I think people need to research what is available, the new etrex series has everything their $500 units have and then some. Only thing it doesn't have is a touch screen. Here is a good review that also has comparisons. There is also a link within it that compares all garmin units features against each other. http://gpstracklog.com/2011/10/garmin-e ... eview.html

A few years ago it made sense to get the more expensive models, but not anymore with the new etrex models they released late last year. Everyone still thinks of the old etrex but if you take a look at what the etrex 20 & 30 offer there is no reason to get the touch screen unless you want a little bigger screen and touch screen because that is the only real difference.
dotman

Postby dotman » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 7]

dotman

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I've had good luck with the Garmin Etrex Vista Hcx. Screen is small, but I like the compact size, electronic compass, color screen, micro SD card, finds satellites extremely fast compared to my older model, map source downloads are also very fast. Seconds instead of minutes like my old one. I download topo maps and waypoints using my unit onto a blank micro SD card for friends for their hunting area and send it to them. They retail for over $200.00, but we bought 3 in the last 2 months on E Bay for under $150.00 each. I've had mine for 3 years and my hunting buddy's decided to get one also after seeing mine.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby bowpackerrob » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Garmin 76csx, very good gps and it does way more than what I need it to. For a new one, i would look at the newer garmin etrex 20 or 30.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 10]

When you get ready to buy, get on Ebay and check out the prices. I got my last on there. It was new in the box and I saved close to $100 over the big dealer prices like Cabelas or Bass Pro.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 11]

This is one thread that I can never chime in on. I have a Lowrance IFinder Hunt C that I picked up a bit over 5 years ago. The unit is rock solid, has a larger screen than most all of them, and the mapping software is great! I also use this on my boat in Puget Sound in WA as my marine GPS. Problem is, Lowrance discontinued making these (and all handheld GPS's I think) about the time I bought mine. If you can find one, it's a great unit.. Very reliable and user friendly. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ