Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

straight fletch or helical?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

straight fletch or helical?

Postby stringunner » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Ok my fletching jig broke so I'm going to replace it.....wondering what if I should change how my vanes are flectched....I have read many threads on this and simply cannot decided.

I shoot around 65lbs. Drop away rest, blazer vanes, muzzy three blade 100 grains, I practice out to 60 yards and have no desire to shoot further. 60 is plenty for me....

So given that, what do you think I go with: straight fletch, straight with slight offset, or helical?

This may be one of those questions that is totally up to the individual but wondering about specific opinions one way or another?
stringunner

Re: straight fletch or helical?

Postby foxvalley » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I've always shot left helical, both with traditional and recently with the compound. Alway thought that a little spin stabilized the arrow flight.
However, talking to my archery guru, he told me that guys are switching to right helical, because it keeps spinning the broadhead "tight on the shaft". Makes good sense. His thoughts. Hope this helps.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

For Blazers, it is hard to get any lind of a helical because they are so short. I think Boning recomends straight fletch for target and straightoffset for broadheads.

Personally, I'm old school. I shoot 4" AAE vanes with helical using my Bitzenberger jig. The Bitz is a lifetime investment and can do just about anything you can think of to an arrow.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby planebow » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I use a right helical with my blazer vanes. I use a blitzenberger fletcher and have had no problems.
Attachments
P1020007.JPG
P1020007.JPG (165.62 KiB) Viewed 7774 times
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby 2OArchery » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Helical. We shoot blazers with right helical. I have used several different fletching jigs and the best one we've used so far is the bohning tower fletching jig. Its fast, consistent, and has the least amount of problems with glue build up.

I am a true believer in the spinning of the arrow. This makes for more stable arrow flight, as well as less wind drift. Whatever you decide, let us know how it works for you.
2OArchery

Postby cnelk » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I have shot elk with Blazers, feather fletching, and vanes - all with using an Arizona Left Helical tool.
Obviously the Blazers didnt have much helical...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 7]

For me there is no question that helical or offset are superior when using broadheads. I too fletch my own arrows with a Bitzenburger gig. It really does not matter if the fletch is left or right spiral. What you want is consistancy and to prevent the broadhead from doing part of the steering, and to keep the arrow from planing.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I fletch all my own arrows & have for years. I've used right/left & straight & to date have never seen any difference in accuracy. These days I shoot straight or the slightest right helical for no real reasons on blazer & fusion vanes. All finished arrows with broadheads fly just fine!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bullrub » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I think the broadhead you use has a lot to do with it. In the old days we shot 5" vanes or feathers with left or right helical. They would say if you were a righthanded shooter you use left helical and lefthanded you used right so the arrow would pull away from the bow when released.Then we used the biggest cutting broadhead we could get our hands on and thats when you would have trouble, the broadhead would fly the arrow. Now days with dropaway rest faster shooting bows, smaller broadheads and most shooters using releases now, I think its pretty much up to the shooter. I still think you need some spin in the arrow for better flight,be it right or left helical.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Freebird134 » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I use the bohning jig for blazers with helical. I get really into the nitty gritty details of a lot of things, but for some reason i've always regarded vanes and helical as "if it ain't broke, dont fix it"
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby pointysticks » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 11]

my blazer arrows were a 1 degree offset. not so much a helical.

my new FFP arrows are helical. figure it cant hurt to throw a "spiral" arrow.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby stickflngr » 07 26, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Ive always shot as much helical (left) as I could on my hunting arrows and it seems to me there a little more stable in a cross wind than the few times I tried straight fletch 8-)
stickflngr