Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How To Find Elk-Ask a Cowboy

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How To Find Elk-Ask a Cowboy

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

We only hunt elk during archery season and all of the areas we hunt have range cattle during the season. A lot of you regulars and long time hunters probably already do this, so it's for those that do not.The cowboys and cowgirls, know the mountains where their cattle are better than the most expensive GPS money can buy. They move their cattle from section to section all summer and fall. When they do that, they move elk also and know where they are. Every year I talk with them, and most of them are very eager to tell you where they have been seeing elk and when they are going to move cattle. All you have to do is ask. I have taken several bulls over the years from them telling me where a certain bull was hanging out near a wallow or drainage. They have told me where wallows were that I did not know about. My best informant was a 75 year old cowboy fence mender that loved to talk. He was among these elk all summer. In return, I would let them know where I had seen their strays after they moved the main herd. Saved them a lot of riding. What will make them mad is the hunters that do not put the gap gates back up after they went thru and the cattle near the gate go back to the other section. Cattle have ticked me off a lot while hunting, and cost me a chance at a few 300 class bulls, but the cowboys information has helped me fill the freezer several years. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Re: How To Find Elk-Ask a Cowboy

Postby cnelk » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Bill~
You are so right!
I have rancher friends that do the same for me.
One year we found a bull that had holed up because it had gotten 'hoof rot'.
I called the rancher when I got home and told him where we had seen his bull.
He rode in and roped it, gave it a shot, and sent it on its way...

The rancher was very appreciative for the info.

Over the years, he has told me of many wallows, where elk have been hanging out, where his cattle are grazing
[this is key because the elk will come in behind the cattle about 7-10 days later for the new grass]

If you want to make friends with the rancher, just close any gate that you open...

Good luck
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Brad, I forgot about the hoof rot until you mentioned it. A few years ago I was walking a fence line and walked up on a cow and calf. The cow was limping really bad and did not want to put weight on her front leg. I ran into one of the cowboys the next day and told him where she was. They brought a trailer in the next day and took her and the calf back to the ranch. A week later he came into camp and told me she had hoof rot. I had never seen it before. He shook my hand and said he owed me one. Really paid off the next season when he made a special trip into my camp to tell me about a hot wallow. :D
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Lefty » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Twice I got great information because I knew where ther bulls were.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Good information. Thanks for sharing!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby easeup » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

ask a cowboy reminded me of years long ago while out hunting in CO, I saw a cowboy out lookin for strays so I was willing to help hoping they would oblige also with some elk info. I headed their way.
when I looked up at that mounted steed was the most gorgeous drop dead good looking woman I had seen in a long time. Its amazing how difficult it was to talk anything with her. :) She was alone in the wilderness with a cowdog and a dang good horse.

over the evening campfire with the guys I asked who saw the cowboy looking for strays that day. Both nodded and smiled and the talkin started ...you know.
Forget it guys, she was all business and that chrome plated 45 on her hip was the real deal.
easeup