Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Chukler XTR ?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Chukler XTR ?

Postby Flintlocker » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Is there a video (online or other) or some other reference for using the external reed that comes with the Chuckler XTR ?

Thanks
Flintlocker

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Plank

Re: Chukler ETR ?

Postby Freebird134 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Are you finding it tough to get good sounds too? I am! I got the XTR just to give it a try. I yanked it off and it's back to mouth reeds.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby dotman » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I have found that the reed pretty much limits you to locator bugles and chuckles.
dotman

Postby huntnfolk » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I got one of the XTR bugles a couple years ago for a gift. I never could get it to make very good sounds. I have much better luck with a regular reed.
huntnfolk

First Name: John
Last Name: R

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

What it all boils down to is: "You just ain't holding your mouth right"! No fooling! But I'll agree, this call is designed for those that have trouble using a regular diaphram call.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Guys, there's no doubt the reeds are always best! External reed bugles are very limited in their use, yes they are very easy to use for location sounds & many can chuckle with them fairly easily with a bit of practice! I did do a demo once with my wife who has never used a bugle, within one minute she could easily give very good location bugles! (grin) If mouth reeds are tough to conquer then this is where the XTR comes in!

I will do a demo clip of the use with the New Chuckler EL with reeds & the Chuckler XTR with & without the mouthpiece!

Can you guys who are struggling with getting bugles with it tell me exactly what it is you are having issues with? Please be specific!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Chukler XTR ?

Postby Flintlocker » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Thanks Paul.
I will post up a recording in the next few days of my experience.
Flintlocker

Postby cnelk » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Im glad I wasnt the only one having issue with it.
I removed the mouth piece, put a blue latex mouth piece in the tube [from another pack bugle] but it still didnt sound like a diaphram does.

So I removed that too and back to a tube only with a diaphram.

I couldnt get it sound much at all. It was like it was restricted. Just high pitches.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby dotman » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I do have to agree sems very high pitched, I couldn't get any deep low sounds. But it works for locator bugles.
dotman

Postby huntnfolk » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Elknut,

when I try to use the XTR it seems like I can only really get one or maybe two notes out of the thing. I've tried different pressure, but just doesn't seem to work for me. Couldn't get any type of chuckle or grunt sound out of it. Maybe just a lack of coordination on my part.

Huntnfolk
huntnfolk

First Name: John
Last Name: R

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Guys, you are all very correct in your evaluation of about any External Reed Bugle, not just the XTR! This is why it's mentioned in above post that these bugles are designed for guys who cannot use a mouth reed! You will be limited in what sounds can be produced with External Reed Bugles! With the XTR you can get 2 location notes fairly easily or a challenge scream. With a bit of practice you will also be able to give decent chuckles, grunts & moderate growls, it doesn't just happen automatically, you must practice & do your part! This why I will do a Demo Clip in its use to help ones see it can be used to locate & hunt elk with. It does not replace or do better than old fashioned mouth reeds! (grin) No External Bugles will out shine a well fitted mouth reed!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bullrub » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 12]

My son bought me the XTR for fathers day last year. It took me awhile to get it figured out. I ended up taking the pressure band off the mouth peace, because I could'nt seem to control the pressure. Im sure if I worked with it for awhile I would get it. But it works very well for me now, with practice I can now make cow/calf mews chukles and grunts, growls, high pitch low pitch bugles. I use my natural voice into the call to help change the tone. One has to remember that no two elk really sound the same as long as you have the basic sound and what they mean and when to use them is the key. ( thats what I think anyway)
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Bullrub, you are correct, elk like people have different voices & age can also dictate type of sounds sounding mature or immature!

Guys I think I may also know what the issue may be with the call! You MUST make sure the green rubber knob is positioned EXACTLY on the latex reed. It cannot be off to one side of the reed even a little bit, it must be dead center, once there it generally doesn't move! So, make sure when removing the External Reed Cone from the package that you twist the green band so that knob is centered on reed, then install, you will now see a vast improvement in your sounds! (grin) Let me know if this helps!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Flintlocker » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Ok, made this recording this morning. You can hear the call as I increase pressure on the XTR reed, high pitch. This is the read piece alone, no grunt tube.

http://soundcloud.com/tplank/2012-08-07-07-28-04
Flintlocker

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Flintlocker, I listened to your clip, the Latex reed is no good! You need to install a new reed, it will be like night & day! Let me know when you do this & add a new sound clip! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Flintlocker » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 16]

No good? Heck, I just got this off you? Bad reed from start?

It came with a replacement. I'll swap it out tonight and give it a try.
Flintlocker

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Hard to say! The reeds & mouthpiece are from Bugling Bull calls, I do not make these personally so can not see what's in the sealed mouthpiece package that inserts into the bugle end. Try out a new one & let's see how it sounds, I can send you new reeds if yours are bad!

Make sure you do not leave the bugle exposed to any heat or lamps, sun is also a killer of latex, it can destroy them in minutes! Too, it can not be exposed to heat sitting in ones rig either without some protection from direct sunlight! This applies to all reeds including mouth diaphragms not just External Reeds Bugles!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Flintlocker » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 18]

They have not been in any heat or sunlight since I received them.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what happens.
Flintlocker

Postby Vanish » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 19]

ElkNut1 wrote:Flintlocker, I listened to your clip, the Latex reed is no good!

That was pretty entertaining :lol:
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby huntabsarokee » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Elknut have you made the demo video yet?
huntabsarokee

First Name: jason
Last Name: rex

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Not yet!!! I'm shooting for this weekend guys! I've been swamped everyday here!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Flintlocker wrote:Ok, made this recording this morning. You can hear the call as I increase pressure on the XTR reed, high pitch. This is the read piece alone, no grunt tube.

http://soundcloud.com/tplank/2012-08-07-07-28-04

I can make just about any call sound like that. But if you'll put a little more effort in it you might get some decent sounds. I don't think there is anything wrong with the call at all.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Flintlocker » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 23]

What is being done wrong then to make it sound like something?

I have played with it trying to get something that sound right. Have not got there.
Second reed is not much better. I have not had much time to play with the second reed much. Just enough to pop it in and try it real quick.

The roof of my mouth is high and narrow. Have not been able to use a turkey or elk mouth diaphragm call. Picked this up with the Chukler bugle tube specifically for that reason. Bugle tube is worthless to me without getting the XTR to work.

Power Bugle on the other hand, no problems with that call.
Flintlocker

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 24]

On these types of calls, try one of two things when you are blowing thru it. Either a little tongue pressure or if that doesn't work, try using your lip to apply pressure. I've even known guys to turn the call up side down and use their top lip. Try what ever works! I like the power bugle as well but nothing beats a diaphram for the the best sounds. I think if you mess around with it long enough you'll eventually get it. You have a good begining start.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Flintlocker » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Changed reeds and made the following recording. Better than before. Saw the video as well. Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I was already doing everything in it but it was good to get some confirmation on how to work it.

Here's today's recording. Use my phone to record. Just set it on the ground in front of me.
First 3 calls are the Chukler XTR, second set of 3 calls are another call I picked up. Good to have options. Don't want to be stuck with one call.

http://soundcloud.com/tplank/2012-08-12-16-16-03
Flintlocker

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Flintlocker - second recording sounded much better!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 27]

Last three calls on that recording were much better. Just takes some practice. Keep up the good work.
>>>---WW---->