Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Views on tents?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Views on tents?

Postby eriks. » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Looking forward to 2013 elk season, I am in the process of accumulating gear for a bivy hunt. There are so many choices out there, it is overwhelming and the more I research and look, the more confused I feel. I would love it if some of you wilderness hunters would share you thoughts on decent (can't afford the best) tents and give me some insight into such things as how much it should weigh and any other comments on equipment (stoves, water purifier, etc) that you know works for back-country hunts. Thanks in advance for you thoughts. Erik
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Re: Views on tents?

Postby Miller1 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I am not a gear guru but in my opinion you dont have to spend alot of money for good equipment, a couple years ago i was looking for a 2 man tent for myself and my gear and i ended up getting a kelty grand mesa 2 for $90 clearanced out at REI, i stayed at 10500 ft in rain and 25 deg temps and it worked extremely good, it is not the ultra light tent, 4.5lbs but i am very pleased with it.
Miller1

First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller

Postby ctdad » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Miller1 wrote:I am not a gear guru but in my opinion you dont have to spend alot of money for good equipment, a couple years ago i was looking for a 2 man tent for myself and my gear and i ended up getting a kelty grand mesa 2 for $90 clearanced out at REI, i stayed at 10500 ft in rain and 25 deg temps and it worked extremely good, it is not the ultra light tent, 4.5lbs but i am very pleased with it.

I agree with this. I have a cabelas xpg 2 man tent that weighs about the same and cost about the same. I use mine in spike camp. My pack weighs 42 lbs including bow for spike camp. If I was doing a true bivy hunt, I'd spend more money and cut some weight off of my tent. For what I use it for, I'm very happy with mine.
ctdad

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have never used a bivy tent so this might be a little biased. For the last four years I've been using the Zeus Classic by Eureka.....2 man, just under 5 lbs. This tent has seen some incredible abuse and has weathered some severe conditions, I call it Old Faithful for a reason. It is very easy to set up by yourself and has plenty of room if you are hunting solo, not so much when my brother goes along...6'4" 260lbs he kind of takes up a (little room.) The only drawbacks I notice is condensation if you don't vent it properly, zipper on vestibule catches fabric but is easily worked back on track, and vestibule door if you forget to knock the rain off before you get in or out. For the price...I got on sale for $115, it has been hard to change...I want to, just not ready. The thing I like about tents is being able to change clothes sitting up and the ability to store gear inside. The majority of my hunting/ backpacking is in Oct-Nov here in Idaho and the high country can get pretty cold and crappy. I think a bivy would be great in the early season of Sept. but for later seasons I think the tent is the way to go.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I've spent a lot of time bivy hunting. Before you buy anything make sure to read some reviews on the product(i.e. weather a tent builds condensation on inside). For the price, REI has some of the best tents and bags. Also, MSR makes a lot of back country supplies and I've always been very happy with their performance.

Here's my list:

Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy(2 nights)
or
REI 3 Man and 3 Season Tent + Extra MSR Groundhog Tent Stakes(3 or more nights)

Thermarest - An air cushion between you and the grounds help you stay warmer.
Lightweight REI +10D sleeping bag.
MSR SweetWater Purifier
Katadyn Base Camp Purifier + MSR 10 L Dramadery(3 or more nights)
MSR Superfly Stove + Fuel
MSR Kitchen Set
JohnFitzgerald

Views on tents?

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Here's mine.

I like to backpack in comfort! Still light though. That tent is just over 3 lbs.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 7]

RockChucker30 - how much does the stove and pipe weigh?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 8]

John,

The stove in that pic is a Kifaru small and it weighs 2 lbs 5 oz on my scale. The pipe is SS and is another 18 oz for the 7 footer. Total weight is 3 lbs 7 oz.

I have been testing a new stove that Kevin at Seekoutside sent me, and it only weighs about 10 oz.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby eriks. » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 9]

See, that's what I'm talking about! Getting great advice from those who have been there and done that. What is the best way to go with sleeping bags-down or synthetic? Thanks again for all the thoughts!!
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby pointysticks » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 10]

i've been lucky. my friends are gear freaks. i have borrowed my tent my last two bivy hunts. both sierra design tents. both seemed a tad heavy, close to 4 lbs. both developed alot of condensation.

i am not the strongest hiker. i need to shave some weight from my gear. my knees are not what they used to be, but i keep at it. not so sure it is a good thing. that MSR HUBBA tent is very very light. but i do like the new tarps/shelters coming out of kilfaru.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Dlove » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 11]

The guides on our Alaska sheep hunt both slept under basic tarps seemed to work well. They used their tripods or trekking poles to prop up one side. light and cheap next time I do a pack trip it will be my go to. I attached a few pics we had the Kelty two man.
Attachments
DSC_0174.JPG
DSC_0174.JPG (288.84 KiB) Viewed 19449 times
DSC_0177.JPG
DSC_0177.JPG (262.16 KiB) Viewed 19449 times
Dlove

First Name: Dustin
Last Name: Love

Postby Miller1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Wow dlove, that spot looks like it could be really hard on a tent.i bet his tarp is quite abit heavier than yout tent isnt it?
Miller1

First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller

Postby pointysticks » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 13]

that photo is amazing. the ground surface is very dramatic!! that would destroy an air pad, no?

how do you sleep on that surface? wow!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby dotman » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 14]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:RockChucker30 - how muh does the stove and pipe weigh?

John, if you want to go floorless with a stove check out the Ti-goat stove. I have a supertarp so I went with the 12in stove with 4'5ft pipe. Total weight of the stove is 1lb 5oz and total weight of my kifaru supertarp and annex is 1lb 6oz. So I have a heated shelter that is huge weighing in at 2lbs 11oz. I also ordered up the hilberg viper stakes (qty 16) is at 6oz so my total weight is 3lbs 1oz for stove, shelter and stakes.

I don't include my trekking poles in my shelter weight even though they are used to set it up.

Here is a link to the ti-goat stove http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

I can't tell you how good or bad the stove is yet, just received it today, but I have heard good things. The original design had issues but sounds like it has been perfected now.
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 15]

dotman wrote:
JohnFitzgerald wrote:RockChucker30 - how muh does the stove and pipe weigh?

John, if you want to go floorless with a stove check out the Ti-goat stove. I have a supertarp so I went with the 12in stove with 4'5ft pipe. Total weight of the stove is 1lb 5oz and total weight of my kifaru supertarp and annex is 1lb 6oz. So I have a heated shelter that is huge weighing in at 2lbs 11oz. I also ordered up the hilberg viper stakes (qty 16) is at 6oz so my total weight is 3lbs 1oz for stove, shelter and stakes.

I don't include my trekking poles in my shelter weight even though they are used to set it up.

Here is a link to the ti-goat stove http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

I can't tell you how good or bad the stove is yet, just received it today, but I have heard good things. The original design had issues but sounds like it has been perfected now.

Tim.. Can you post up some pics of your whole set up once you get a chance? Would really like to see it all set up, slove included. Thanks RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Views on tents?

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Here's a super tarp with annex and stove.

I sold mine and bought a Seekoutside BCS because it offers stand up height, sleeps two and its just two pounds heavier than the ST.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby dotman » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 17]

RJ, sure, i'll set it all up tomorrow night and snap a few from inside and out. I need to burn in the stove anyway plus it will be a cool 103 tomorrow so perfect stove weather.

Rock, what do you think of your BCS?

If anyone is wanting to slowly get into the floorless tents Go-lite has all theirs on sale 50% and you can run them with included nest or floorless plus add a stove. Also be on the look out for used supertarps since the release of the Megatarp. Kifaru has its own forum with a trading post where you can find good deals on used K products.
dotman

Views on tents?

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Dotman, I really like it so far. I've kind of rebounded from being UL and gone back to light weight if the extra weight makes me comfortable. I like being able to walk in instead of crawl in.

It's huge for me alone, still big enough for me and the wife, and with the expander panel it's big enough for two guys and gear.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby dotman » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Alright per request from RJ here are some pics, don't mind the fancy footwear!

dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Awesome Tim.. Thanks. Saved all the pics to my hunting folder (under what I"d "like to get down the road"). Phenomenal gear... Can't believe what it weighs... You'll certainly be hunting in style (and warm) anywhere you hunt this year whether it's CO, MT, or both. Oh, and if we get a chance to hunt together in MT or ID in the next year or two, I promise to let you in my old school tent when the creepie crawlies get under your tarp and are chewing on your eyeballs :) Just teasing you buddy.. Awesome gear.. Completely jealous.
WapitiTalk1

Postby dotman » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 21]

RJ, this was designed just for you, I actually have one for out here in the midwest, hate ticks http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bug-Bivy.html
dotman

Postby outdoordan » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 22]

This is a picture of the seedhouse sl from a scouting trip last Thursday night. This weighs 3lb. 6 oz. as a two man tent. I like tub style tents, with a floor myself as it keeps rain/bugs/rodents out, and keeps my gear and clothes clean. The new fly creek ul2 weighs 2.5 lb as a two man tent, and the new fly creek platinum about 2 lbs. I feel, if you are going to spend the money on a new tent you might as well get something that you will only buy once. That said, buying any tent over 3 lb would likely mean you will buy a lighter one at some point.

I do like the idea of the bigger pyramid style tents for a bigger group, or, with the stove for later in the season. Pretty neat setups there.

Forum Sponsor

http://www.hunthardcore1.com/store/main/
Attachments
seedhousesl7186.JPG
seedhousesl7186.JPG (136.39 KiB) Viewed 19284 times
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Here's mine.. It's a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2. Quite a bit heavier than the upper crust, lightweight tarps but I'm like outdoordan... I like the floor and complete enclosure to keep bugs, newts, aliens, vermicious knids (getting to be quite a few of those in the northwest I hear), rogue blue grouse, picas, etc. out. The front of the LP2 is rolled up but when extended and stuck on a couple of skinny lodgepoles or your hiking sticks, makes a nice porch roof to sit under and heat up your delicious freeze dried chow when the wet stuff is coming down.. at night, you zip it up and out for a great covered porch to store your gear under to keep it dry. Total weight with fly is under 6 pounds. Ehh, at this point I'll put up with a little discomfort (weight) when hiking in to have a floor, fly, and porch. And, the few extra pounds on your back "going in" builds character.. ;) . Who knows what I'll do down the road when I get older :D . RJ

100_0541.JPG
100_0541.JPG (415.06 KiB) Viewed 19277 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 26, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Here's a couple more pics of the BCS with the expander panel zipped in.

For reference I'm 6'3".
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby tracker12 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 25]

I have am original Moss tent that is bullet Proof but a little warm during the early season. I rently bought an REI tent that I am really impressed with for the price. It is not the lightest but definitly built well with plenty of space for 2 and gear.
tracker12

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 26]

I love using my Hilleberg Soulo! I have used it from bottom lands to mountain, windy, snowing, hail (dime sized) rain and below 0*F and don't have a complaint. Finding lightweight and bomber gear is tough as 2 generally don't fit together. Not to mention some what subjective! ;)

I have also used Exped tents with great success, this is the tent that I loan to buddies (that I would like to keep as friends) use on their first backpacking and or backcountry hunting trips.

Here is my Tent Gear List:
Hilleberg Soulo
Minimum Wt: 1.7 kg/3lbs 12oz
Packed Wt: 2.2 kg/4lbs 13oz
Inner Height: 95cm/38 in
Inner Tent Area: 2.0m sq /21.5' sq
Vestibule: Area: .7m sq / 7.6' sq
Poles: 9mm
Pegs: 12 V-Pegs

Exped Mira I
Single ridge pole with two short crossing poles
Free standing endoskeleton design
Fits one Exped M or LW mat
Roomy vestibule, one door
Rear “gear shed” with inner tent zip access
Average Minimum Weight: 1.3kg/2.9 lbs
Material Rainfly: 30 D ripstop-nylon, silicone- PU coated, factory seam taped
Canopy: ripstop-polyester, No-See-Um mosquito mesh
Floor: 70D Taffeta nylon, (5’000 mm water column)
Poles: DAC Featherlite NSL 8.5 mm and 9 mm TH72M

Exped DownMat 7 or Exped Airmat Basic UL 7.5
Valandré Mirage
Katadyn Vario & Katadyn Micropur tablets
JETBOIL Sōl or Flash
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Vanish » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 27]

These superlightweight tents and stoves blow my mind. I had no idea they made stoves this light!

My wife and hunting partner doesn't like to spend too much money on gear, but she might if I told her it would keep her warm!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel