Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hydration Drink

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hydration Drink

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 1]

What does everyone think of Hydrate & Recover by Wilderness Athlete? During hunting season, thinking Energy & Focus in the morning then Hydrate & Recover mid day. Anyone have a better idea?

http://www.wildernessathlete.com/Store.aspx
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Hydration Drink

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I drink a "Superman" (Hydrate & Recovery and Energy & Focus) every morning, first thing before I workout or go hunting. If hunting, I will drink another Superman before the evening's hunt. This provides the much needed oxygen to my muscles, lubricates the old leg and foot bones and a boost of energy without causing you to crash!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Swede » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Kids! All ya need is a cup of steaming hot coffee in the morning to get your engine running, and some water during the day if yer radiator has over heated a little too much. LOL
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Freebird134 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I only get to taste crystal clear, backcountry mountain water once a year so I plan to enjoy it :) I've tried powder in my water bladder before, and I just don't like it. When I'm huffing and puffing, trying to take drinks between gasps, I don't need to be choking on fruit flavored water. I don't buy into the magic that "this" or "that" mix will do for you. Plus, if I put mixes into my water, I have to carry a separate water jug for cooking.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:Kids! All ya need is a cup of steaming hot coffee in the morning to get your engine running, and some water during the day if yer radiator has over heated a little too much. LOL

Perfect! This... Perhaps just a bit of gatorade flavoring "once" in a while to make the filtered H2O taste a bit better :) I would however be interested in carrying some recovery drink mix packets if they really seem to help. At my age, I can use all the assistance I can find.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Kids! All ya need is a cup of steaming hot coffee in the morning to get your engine running, and some water during the day if yer radiator has over heated a little too much. LOL

I usually drink my coffee while I'm mixing my energy drink! :-)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Flintlocker » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 7]

If they only made powdered Mountain Dew......
Flintlocker

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Plank

Postby Swede » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 8]

John I saw the opportunity to poke some fun at you and couldn't resist. Actually, I sometimes drink some of whatever energy juice I have picked up for the hunt. Of coarse we will keep that secret to ourselves.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Swede - :D In my family, if you not razzed then your not liked! :D

Flintlocker - LMAO
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 10]

W/A here as well, Hydrate & Recover along with Energy & Focus, this stuff works 100% for us!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Anyone know if they're running any promos this year? Last year they ran a 40% off bars promo, just curious if they've offered anything similar this season.

All the old guys speak highly of W/A... might be something to it :D
eltaco

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Freebird134 - what we do is either have a small water bottle to mix the "Super Man" drinks in. I do add a supplement of nuun to my 3 liter water bladder daily for warmer weather hunts. I have a collapsible water cubes that we use to store 1.5 gal of water for cooking. This configuration keeps everything separate without loading up our packs more.

The additional upside is that we don't need to eat berry or mango flavored Pasta Primavera! :lol:
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Any of us Eastern guys put the Altitude Drink to the test yet? Wondering if it helps take the edge off.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Lefty » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Most drinks give me heart-burn when Im pushing it

Flintlocker wrote:If they only made powdered Mountain Dew......

They do; It comes in a can with the carbonated water :lol: :lol:
As soon as I get up I try to drink 16 oz of water or more, then Illl open a can of Mt Dew or a diet Rockstar

I try to eat "better" food and really push the water all day.
I carry 96 oz water, and one or two fruit juices.. some days that will be gone by noon, which doesnt include my morning drink

When I trapped hard I often drank 2 gallons of water, lots of apple oranges and banannas each day
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 15]

HurricaneHuge - This "flat lander" utilizes W.A. Altitude Advantage on every trip out West. This involves hunting, hiking, for work and vacation. To date, no side-effects or no AMS for us up to 11k'.

To clarify what form W.A. Altitude Advantage comes in, is a capsule form which you start taking 5 days before you get off the plane for your trip, then you continue taking it for another 3 days and your done. W.A. offers it in a "kit" that provides 20 packets of W.A. Hydrate & Recovery with the bottle of W.A. Altitude Advantage.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby bullrub » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 16]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:What does everyone think of Hydrate & Recover by Wilderness Athlete? During hunting season, thinking Energy & Focus in the morning then Hydrate & Recover mid day. Anyone have a better idea?

http://www.wildernessathlete.com/Store.aspx

I have never tried any kind of energy drink before. I'm 58 years old and I need all the help I can get while hunting, things in my body just dont work like they use too. I will be getting some to try.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 17]

For hydration, God invented water. You can't get any more perfect than that. Man can not even come close, only add to it!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Thanks for the clarification Winded! Sounds like something I should consider trying...
HurricaneHuge

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Hey Winded,

I ordered a container of Hydrate & Recovery and Energy & Focus. How do you mix them up to create a "superman"? Do you drink them separately or mix them together?
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I pour the Hydrate & Recovery and Energy & Focus powders in the same bottle of 12oz of water. I don't drink 20-24oz of water, so I can make it up the mountain without all of that sloshing around in my belly! I will have a Superman as soon I stand up outside of my tent. If time allows, I will have a WA bar or will eat the bar on at the top while glassing.

For daily use, I still drink the same amounts, for the same reasons. I don't want to go running with all of that water in the belly!

JohnFitzgerald I would like to hear your feedback after a few uses. I can't be the only nut drinking this cocktail! ;^)
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby eltaco » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Curious if NUUN is any good... does it seem to be much help for those who have used it?
eltaco

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 22]

My wife uses it on our long outings, I use it in my hydration bladder on warmer hunts.

I like the taste of it, they have several flavors. It is not sweet or sugary tasting at all. No cramps on any outings thus far!

There is a small tip, you should let the tablets dissolve all of the way, then wait an additional few moments before sealing the bladder for use.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby cnelk » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Phantom16 wrote:Perfect! This... Perhaps just a bit of gatorade flavoring "once" in a while to make the filtered H2O taste a bit better :) I would however be interested in carrying some recovery drink mix packets if they really seem to help. At my age, I can use all the assistance I can find.. RJ

We all know that putting "Gatorade" or other electrolyte additives into your hydration bladder will result in bacteria forming in your drink tube/reservoir and could spoil your trip. "Camelbak" has developed tablets that you add to your water that will replenish your essential electrolytes. Called "elixirs" they come in flavors and will not develop into bacteria in your bladder. The lemon-lime flavor seems to be the best flavor thus far. This will also make filtered water taste a little better. "Camelbak Elixir"---- and another company has a similar product now,although their version doesn't have as pleasant a taste that the Elixir does. The tablets come in a 10 pack I believe and are about a dollar a tablet. I imagine a person can get them at a local backpacking store. Believe me, dehydration is a major concern in the high country,particularly in the early season.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Ditto here, WA energy and focus and then hydrate and recover thru the day or for the afternoon drink
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Yep, 12oz water & same ingredients as foxvalley, lasts for hours!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 26]

WindedBowhunter wrote:I pour the Hydrate & Recovery and Energy & Focus powders in the same bottle of 12oz of water. I don't drink 20-24oz of water, so I can make it up the mountain without all of that sloshing around in my belly! I will have a Superman as soon I stand up outside of my tent. If time allows, I will have a WA bar or will eat the bar on at the top while glassing.

For daily use, I still drink the same amounts, for the same reasons. I don't want to go running with all of that water in the belly!

JohnFitzgerald I would like to hear your feedback after a few uses. I can't be the only nut drinking this cocktail! ;^)

Thanks Winded. I'll keep you updated.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby bowhunterty » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 27]

Use to use WA products now I use Advocares Spark for energy and Rehydrate for recovery. Have better flavor and more flavors to choose from. Use to drink a case of Diet Mt Dew a week. But hardly drink a soda but one or two a week. I like the way it makes me feel. My girlfriend use to have to have her coffee now she drinks Spark instead. Just my 2 cents.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby elkoholic » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 28]

Wow a lot of good info here!! I'm slackin, I used.to drink energies drinks but the way they made me crash 2 hours later didn't seem worth it. I usually just drink a lot of water. I think I'm gona need to try "WA". Where do I pick it up at? Feel like I'm on the slow boat, probably should have been drinking this along time ago.
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 29]

I ordered it from their website.
http://www.wildernessathlete.com/Home2.aspx
JohnFitzgerald

Postby elkoholic » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 30]

Thanks John
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 29, 2012 •  [Post 31]

WindedBowhunter wrote:I pour the Hydrate & Recovery and Energy & Focus powders in the same bottle of 12oz of water. I don't drink 20-24oz of water, so I can make it up the mountain without all of that sloshing around in my belly! I will have a Superman as soon I stand up outside of my tent. If time allows, I will have a WA bar or will eat the bar on at the top while glassing.

WindedBowhunter - Here's my feeback. Very impressed with the Superman(Hydrate & Recover / Energy & Focus). When I take it I feel as if I have a tank of energy that I can pull from. A little bit of a crash the first couple times of use but not bad. I definitively recommend it for everyone!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 32]

John,
Thanks for the feedback! Interesting on the crash, I presume it's from the Hydrate & Recovery. I wonder if you were to use the smaller scoop from the Energy & Focus tub to use for measuring the Hydrate & Recovery drink, if you would experience the same effect.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 33]

WindedBowhunter wrote:John,
Thanks for the feedback! Interesting on the crash, I presume it's from the Hydrate & Recovery. I wonder if you were to use the smaller scoop from the Energy & Focus tub to use for measuring the Hydrate & Recovery drink, if you would experience the same effect.

I've been using it for a week now and the crash is gone. It only happened the first couple of days so it might not have been the WA drink. If it comes back I'll try using less HR.

All I can say is this stuff is worth the price!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 34]

Anyone used the Pre-Workout mix?
HurricaneHuge

Postby eltaco » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 35]

How many different products are you guys using at a time. I'd be interested in giving it a go, but a guy could easily drop $100+ a month on this from what I'm seeing...
eltaco

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 36]

Jeremy, a tub of each lasts a long time for me! I get two three months out of the two. I do not take them everyday if not hunting or doing anything special!. They cost 29.95 each tub & less if you catch a sale! I'll bet 25.00 a month on average for the two is a better guess during hunting season!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WindedBowhunter » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 37]

eltaco - On a daily basis (year round) I drink a "Superman" with a Mult-Vitamin, every morning before I workout or begin my morning hunt. It provides me pickup and go I need without the jitters and crash.

In the off-season, I drink the WA Meal Replacement and Recovery Shake mixed with WA Green Infusion after training, then late afternoon I will drink the WA Protein Plus

Each of the tubs provide 30 servings, so you can plan it out to your liking. We have the tubs priced as Paul stated.

During hunting season and on hunts, I take Wilderness Athlete Ultimate Pre-workout with the morning Superman, nuun Active Hydration is in my water bladder on warmer temp hunts, another Superman before the evening hunt. Plus the empty containers are waterproof and I use them as storage canisters for small items I want to keep dry.

HurricaneHuge - I have been using the WA Ultimate Pre-workout, with great success. What I have noticed is that in off season, during training it greatly assists in building lean muscle mass and improve muscle endurance. I have done a few tests (not scientific) with and without taking this during my training for the Super Spartan Race. When taking this I shave over 5 minutes off my 5 mile run times and I seem to have to get out an additional 2-3 reps of each exercise in the rest of my training workout, which I do directly after my run. When I say directly, I run 5 miles in a loop from and back to the front door of my house and workout in the basement of my house.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby eltaco » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 38]

Well, I picked up a few WA products last night. Decided to go with the multivitamin, joint health, and hydrate & recover. Would have liked to try the energy & focus but the price was getting up there already. Wish this stuff were sold locally.... would be nice to dodge shipping costs and have the convenience of grabbing more as needed.
eltaco

Postby foxvalley » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 39]

eltaco wrote:Well, I picked up a few WA products last night. Decided to go with the multivitamin, joint health, and hydrate & recover. Would have liked to try the energy & focus but the price was getting up there already. Wish this stuff were sold locally.... would be nice to dodge shipping costs and have the convenience of grabbing more as needed.

I also would like to try this stuff,but geez, where does a guy draw the line on what he spends on his elk hunt?
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 40]

Got the Pre-Workout in end of last week. I love it. I need to workout in mornings, but when I do I'm groggy, have little will to push myself the extra reps, and feel like I "bonk" because I don't have the energy from eating. I have this stuff on the nightstand. Wake up, pop in a serving, and half hour later I'm raring to go and have to energy to push the workout and finish the full workout. Great product so far. Enough to tempt me to try some others.
HurricaneHuge

Postby WindedBowhunter » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 41]

HurricaneHuge - wait to chase the Pre-Workout with a Superman! While it doesn't provide much more of a "kickstart", it does provide a longer sustained energy for your workout. Like you, my workouts begin first thing in the am around 5-5:30 and they last 1.5-2hrs in duration.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 42]

Winded, are you bombing all 3 right off the bat in the morning, or the Pre-Workout, and using the Superman throughout? I was focusing on post-workout, and wondering if the Superman or just the Hydrate and Recover would be my best options. Not looking so much into the Protein at this point in time, because I'm eating and actual breakfast after the workouts and loading that up with natural proteins of the eating variety. I'm focused on the making sure I'm getting ready for the workout, getting through it, and being ready for another one in the evening (usually loaded hikes). Weightloss with body resistance (strengthening core/lower body) training is my goal until I head out. I'll focus on muscle mass gain in a different part of the year. Also hoping the Energy and Focus would help replace my coffee intake.
HurricaneHuge

Postby WindedBowhunter » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 43]

Yes, I "bomb" all 3 first thing before I eat, on workout days, obstacle races and trips in the backcountry. The Pre-Workout doesn't provide any mental or "energy boost", it provides more endurance for your muscles. I am sorry for the confusions when I stated "sustained energy". For me, when I take these on workout mornings and races, my muscles do not seem to fatigue as quickly. Which translates to longer and harder physical efforts!

With your protein intake, just make sure that you taking in close to 20g protein after an intense activity. You don't really need more than 20g - 30g of protein as most human bodies cannot process more than that in a serving. Additionally, you need to ensure that you taking in the right amount of protein daily. This is a an estimated formula for protein intake, as I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV! :D

1.5 - 2.0 grams per kilogram of bodyweight per day for active people

If you weight 200, divide 200 x (1 kg = 2.2 lbs.) = 91
Multiply 91 x 1.5 = 136.5
or
Multiply 91 x 2.0 = 182

This translates to that you should take 136.5 to 182 grams of protein daily. If you used my formula of intaking no more than 20g per serving, it would take 7-9 servings of protein a day.

I hope that this helps you some, not confuses you.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 44]

I understand completely what you're saying. Post workout I immediately slam my good friend Chocolate Milk (no better post workout drink), followed by my breakfast: Quinoa, Greek yogurt, whatever berries I have in the fridge, and Almonds. Almonds have become my snack throughout the days. Higher fat content, but for the most part good fats and they seem to do the trick at this point. Most of my intake is protein oriented along with making sure I'm getting the veggie/fruit servings. As I said, I'm not necessarily looking to maximize muscle size gains so much as to repair and prepare for the next go round.
HurricaneHuge

Postby WindedBowhunter » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 45]

Almonds, are great in my book!

Also, I don't follow the protein regiment like a confined plan. I just try to intake at least 100 grams of protein, preferably from natural sources.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor