Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trimming mouth calls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trimming mouth calls

Postby Flintlocker » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Received my "care" package from Idaho last week. :)
New to elk hunting so this is exciting stuff for me.

With the mouth calls, when placed up against the back my front teeth, should I trim the tape down to basically meet the edge of my teeth/gum line along the sides? I have a narrow pallet and the tape is folding down along the inside of my teeth along the sides.

Also, for the mellow yellow, should the dome be touching the roof of my mouth?

Thanks!
Flintlocker

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Plank

Re: Trimming mouth calls

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Hi Flintlocker,

New to elk huntings....welcome to the world of addiction! :-)

The dome should touch the roof of your mouth. As for trimming, yes you can trim it but be very carefull. If you cut to much off, the reed will not make a proper seal in your mouth. I don't trim because I like to chew on it while hunting.

My 2-Cents.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Flintlocker » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Thanks John. I will play around with it.

Spent a "month" one week in Hermiston a few years ago. Work had me there working with the Pendelton Co 9-1-1 radio system upgrade. Got to drive all over the place and did the underground tour in Pendleton. Neat area to visit.
Flintlocker

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Plank

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 4]

When trimming the tag on mouth calls try & only remove a 32nd at a time & rarely does any trimming need to come o0ff the back or rear of reed, the side are the culprit when trimming is needed! To date I've never had to trim any of the Bugling BUll game calls, but I've trimmed plenty of the rest!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Before you go messing up a $5-$7 dollar call, try this. Stick it in your mouth for awhile. Give it a chance to form to your palate. You can chew on it, spit on it, even soak it in a glass of water. But what ever you do, give it a chance to form and seal. Just remember, once you start trimming on it, you can't put it back!!

Bending a call is another way ot make them fit. However when you bend it, you most likely take some tension off of the reed. It works for some guys but never did for me.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics