Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Clean your Pack!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Clean your Pack!

Postby T/H » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

how often do you clean your backpack? i wash mine after every hunt that i pack an animal out. after a zipper broke on my BL2200 a couple years ago, BL'S stipulated i wash my pack before sending it back. (i had already hauled a couple critters out with the pack) after seeing how bloody and dirty the water was i now wash my pack when needed. another good reason to wash them imho is simple. sweat. i bet our packs are probably our own worst enemy when it comes to scent control.
T/H

Re: Clean your Pack!

Postby Swede » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

My meat hauling pack I wash after each time I use it. My day pack never gets washed. I air it out and spray it with Scent Away or whatever it is called.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I've never cleaned my pack more than wiping off excess blood off with a paper towel, it will dry out fairly well. All meat is in game bags so it reduces the blood on the pack pretty good. I have hosed down my frame pack only because it was hose able & no worries of anything getting wet! I just never worry about smells, my pack really doesn't stink it seems to handle the odors just fine, they go away pretty good!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby foxvalley » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Anybodys pack start squeeking half way thru the hunt? Guessing dust and sweat.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

The X2 Packs all squeak dust or no dust, they squeak where the pack meets the external frame, it's easily fixed though! Here's what we've done with ours! It only takes about 10 minutes to remove frame, tape up & reinstall, they never have squeaked again!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1403.jpg
DSCN1403.jpg (67.17 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
DSCN1405.jpg
DSCN1405.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I have seperate meat packs
My main day pack gets washed with sport wash before the season. I do spray down the backside with silver scent control after each hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby foxvalley » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Thanks Paul!
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

ElkNut1 wrote:The X2 Packs all squeak dust or no dust, they squeak where the pack meets the external frame, it's easily fixed though! Here's what we've done with ours! It only takes about 10 minutes to remove frame, tape up & reinstall, they never have squeaked again!

ElkNut1

+1 on the tape. My pack squeaked all last year until Paul suggested the tap. Wow, big improvement!
JohnFitzgerald