Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Happened

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Happened

Postby MontBison » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So let me just start out by saying that this is my first year shooting bow so don't beat me up too hard on this. Tonight I went out to shoot and I pulled my bow back about 1/4th of the way and BAM. So after trying to figure out what the heck happened I realized my string jumped of the cam, my release was still attached to my loop and the arrow was still nocked, also my peep poped out of my string. So do any of you guys know what the heck happened? I had a little bit of peep rotation to begin with otherwise my bow seemed pretty in tune. Also my cams are a bit off center now if that helps. I appreciate any input you guys may have.
MontBison

Re: What Happened

Postby ctdad » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 2]

This can happen when the shooter creates a lot of torque while drawing. If you have a very firm grip on the bow, you will be more inclined to torque it more. I did it to my bow a couple years ago while turkey hunting. Shooting from a seated position and shooting way off to the side and almost behind me. As I drew, pulled the string right off the cam. Put it in the press, put it back on and everything was fine. Shot a turkey the very next day.
ctdad

Postby eltaco » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Probably exactly as stated above. That said, I'd have a shop check everything to be sure you didn't damage the bow in any way. Derailing cams is extremely dangerous to yourself and the bow... if the cams have been damaged and you try to draw the bow again, you could end up blowing it again.

Glad to hear you're alright.
eltaco

Postby 2OArchery » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Like ctdad and eltaco said, you probably torqued it and derailed it. This often happens when the shooter is very inexperienced or is shooting a draw weight that is to heavy for them. When you draw your bow, you should be able to keep it pointed straight at the target during the whole draw cycle. I'm sure everyone has seen the guy at the range that swings his bow all over the place, trying to get it drawn back. Whether you start by pointing it straight in the air or down at the ground, or anywhere else, you are much more likely to apply too much torque and cause something like this to happen.

Other possibilities are that there could have been some piece of debris in the cam track when you drew it, allowing the string to come off. Or, you may have had excessive cam lean, in which case it would be very easy to derail it while drawing. Also, check your cams for any damage, like a flat spot where it may have been dropped, allowing the string to come easily out of the track.

What do you mean by "Also my cams are a bit off center now if that helps." Because if they aren't in the proper position, you need to take it to a bow professional before you do anything to it. You may have caused some serious damage to your bow.
2OArchery

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I would have it checked out. I agree you torqued the bow so the string derailed! Make sure all is OK before reinstalling strings yourself! I've had this happened to me & all was OK after string installed & inspection! Good Luck!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby MontBison » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

The Y in my cable isn't centered anymore which I think is causing my cams to not line up straight. I'm going to get it checked out but of course I was like wtf and thought I had broke my bow so hopefully it's all good. Now I know not to death grip it on the draw which I didn't think I was doing to begin with. Thanks for all the help guys hopefully you got a little chuckle out of the story lol.
MontBison

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 7]

You know when it happened it to me I was drawing the bow with just my fingers gripped on the string, my left hand was gripping the riser & I must have torqued the bow when letting down. I did not have an arrow nocked, I was just feeling the draw & break over. On letting it down it derailed off the upper cam & seemed to explode in my hand, the string tried to recoil quickly & I instinctively tried to hold the string without even thinking as it happened so quick. The force & energy stored in the string cut into my four fingers but I never let go of the string, I was bleeding pretty good to say the least! Lesson learned, Do Not Torque Bow! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby 2OArchery » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Elknut, I have seen several times in the past. Letting down the bow with no release causes derailment. Most often this happens because upon letdown, most people tend to twist the hand that they are holding the string with. One of my buddies did this awhile back, it didn't derail, but he twisted his hand and I ducked. He let down without incident, but I was sure nervous.
2OArchery