Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trailcam Positioning

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trailcam Positioning

Postby idahoghost » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Wondering what everyones thoughts are on trailcam positioning. I have tried low (4-6ft.) but now I am thinking 10 to 12ft. It would be out of sight and away from prying little hands that may stumble into my area. Any advantages or disadvantages? Shot some practice photos in the pasture mounted in a tree up around 10 ft. Seemed to be fine...
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Re: Trailcam Positioning

Postby Freebird134 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 2]

i do this on public land in areas people might visit. I have Moultrie M80s and they seem to work fine like this. It probably reduces your effective range, but if it's pointed at a trail intersection or somewhere else you expect lots of predictable activity, I bet it works great for you.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Goneelkn » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Let us know how it works, and yes with pic's.
Goneelkn

Postby eltaco » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I think 10' is a great idea as long as you can find a clear patch up that high. I placed mine at eye level last year and thankfully never had a picture of a human all season.

The only downside to placing the Cam up so high is you don't get any eyeball pics from curious elk! :D
eltaco

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 5]

You mean like this! (grin) Howdy folks the names Beauford!

I like about 6' high or just under at 20', seems to do well with the 100's I've taken!

ElkNut1
Attachments
ICAM0019.JPG
ICAM0019.JPG (112.28 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

The idea I have is to cover as much area as possible. I prefer to set up 3 feet to 4 feet high and parallel with the ground. I don't know how you can really defeat a determined thief. I put out my cheap cameras where I think they are most vulnerable, and consider everything is at risk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 7]

My cameras are usually 3 feet hi depending wether your camera is shooting up hill or downhill. I also camo the front if its not already, and put branches all around it except for the front to conceal it even more. I also make plastic coated cables to lock it to the tree if someone spots it. Another handy thing I added to my cameras is a Primos piviting bracket, that allows you to point the camera at several different angles. If you mount the camera hi in a tree, it makes it hard to swap out the SD cards for viewing. Last year I was slipping into my wallow and a guy was sitting 5 feet from my camera and he did not even see it. He had been there for about a hour, and when I told him I had a camera on it he did not believe me. When I proved it he was shocked, shook my hand and told me the wallow was mine, and left.Image
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer