Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is your wind checker?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby elkaholic » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Just curious what everyones choice for checking the wind is? Do you buy from the stores, make your own with various chalks, powders, ect?
I use a small elmers glue bottle that I used to fill with carpenters chalk. Worked ok but the chalk dust was a bit heavy and wouldn't carry very far. Last year I got turned on to microballons and have really liked them.

What is your preference?
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Freebird134 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 2]

What are microballons?
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby iRem » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Good old fashion smoke in a bottle!!
iRem

Re: What is your wind checker?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I personally, have never used a device to check the wind.. Always just feel it on my face or neck. In very calm conditions (few and far between in the mountains), I will lick a finger and stick it in the air. I know a lot of guys use the wind bottles including several of the guys I've hunted with. It always makes me chuckle when I can feel the direction of the wind on my face, start moving towards (or stay with) the downwind side of an elk and my buddy pulls out his puffer bottle. With a "psst psst", he confirms what I already know :).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I am a wind nazi!!!! Kinda like that soup nazi guy on seinfeld! (grin) I use baking soda in a small squeeze nasal bottle! Fits in my pocket. When in an encounter it stays in my hand just about the entire time to monitor the wind, you cannot let your guard down for a second or "game over">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby iRem » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 6]

ElkNut1 wrote:I am a wind nazi!!!! Kinda like that soup nazi guy on seinfeld! (grin) I use baking soda in a small squeeze nasal bottle! Fits in my pocket. When in an encounter it stays in my hand just about the entire time to monitor the wind, you cannot let your guard down for a second or "game over">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ElkNut1

I am always looking to cut cost every year! My wife is now on your side ElkNut with the Baking Soda, cheap and you have a ton of it on the box!! Just cut another $5 bill out of the budget!!
iRem

Postby eltaco » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Phantom16 wrote:I personally, have never used a device to check the wind.. Always just feel it on my face or neck. In very calm conditions (few and far between in the mountains), I will lick a finger and stick it in the air. I know a lot of guys use the wind bottles including several of the guys I've hunted with. It always makes me chuckle when I can feel the direction of the wind on my face, start moving towards (or stay with) the downwind side of an elk and my buddy pulls out his puffer bottle. With a "psst psst", he confirms what I already know :).

You're crazy!

I'm always blown away ( no pun intended ) at how shifty the winds can be in the mountains. I rarely have more than 5mph winds it seems, but they're swirling all over the place. A quick puff in the air and sometimes the smoke dances around right in front of me.

Since we all know a bull can smell a fart at 800yds downwind, just imagine what a 5mph swirling wind can do you!
eltaco

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Once in awhile I'll use a puffer bottle. But most of the time it is just about a 9-10" piece of white sewing thread tied to my bowstring a couple of inches below the idler wheel. Never have to grab the puffer because I can monitor the string all the time.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Broken arrow » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Piece of dental floss frayed up real good and attached to my bow string. Even the slightest bit of a breeze and you can see it. But I'm gonna add the baking soda to my list great idea and cheap! Might even skip tooth paste and just use baking soda :D
Broken arrow

Postby eltaco » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Honestly, I've used my $5 wind checker for 3 seasons so far. I think the cost per year is negligible.

That string idea is pure genius!!!
eltaco

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 11]

eltaco wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:I personally, have never used a device to check the wind.. Always just feel it on my face or neck. In very calm conditions (few and far between in the mountains), I will lick a finger and stick it in the air. I know a lot of guys use the wind bottles including several of the guys I've hunted with. It always makes me chuckle when I can feel the direction of the wind on my face, start moving towards (or stay with) the downwind side of an elk and my buddy pulls out his puffer bottle. With a "psst psst", he confirms what I already know :).

You're crazy!

I'm always blown away ( no pun intended ) at how shifty the winds can be in the mountains. I rarely have more than 5mph winds it seems, but they're swirling all over the place. A quick puff in the air and sometimes the smoke dances around right in front of me.

Since we all know a bull can smell a fart at 800yds downwind, just imagine what a 5mph swirling wind can do you!

Well Sir.. My farts don't smell so I'm in no peril of being winded :lol: And, I use the latest scent blocker/stopper/preventer/masking/cover spray which makes me invisible to all forest animals. If we ever get a chance to hunt together, I just thought of a new "antics in the high country" idea.. I'm gonna slip some cow in estrus scent in your puffer bottle when you're not looking.. And then of course, the first time you squeeze it to check the wind.. a squirt of stinky cow pee will shoot up and out. Then of course, I'm running as fast as I can down the mountain to out run the judo point you shoot at me :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby eltaco » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Phantom16 wrote:
eltaco wrote:

You're crazy!

Well Sir.. My farts don't smell so I'm in no peril of being winded :lol: And, I use the latest scent blocker/stopper/preventer/masking/cover spray which makes me invisible to all forest animals. If we ever get a chance to hunt together, I just thought of a new "antics in the high country" idea.. I'm gonna slip some cow in estrus scent in your puffer bottle when you're not looking.. And then of course, the first time you squeeze it to check the wind.. a squirt of stinky cow pee will shoot up and out. Then of course, I'm running as fast as I can down the mountain to out run the judo point you shoot at me :) RJ

That's fine... just think twice if we're hunting together and you lick your finger to check the wind... I hear that cow in heat urine tastes worse than it smells :D
eltaco

Postby N5J » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Scentless foot powder. Pop of the top and fill my wind checker when needed and put a couple of squeezes in my boots each morning. :D

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby Miller1 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I get milkweed pods and break them open and put the silky center in a small container and pull out a small piece and let it go, i can see it for about 20 yards, its amazing to see how it turns different directions in just 20 yards.
Miller1

First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller

Postby elkaholic » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Miller1 wrote:I get milkweed pods and break them open and put the silky center in a small container and pull out a small piece and let it go, i can see it for about 20 yards, its amazing to see how it turns different directions in just 20 yards.

The seeds don't germinate the next year? I've never tried the milkweed pods but I like the microballoons because they float forever.
elkaholic

Postby elkaholic » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Freebird134 wrote:What are microballons?

Technically they are called alumilite microballoons. Hobby airplane makers use the powder to mix with epoxy and build their plane wings. The "powder" consists of microscopic fiberglass balloons. $6 gets you a 32 oz. bottle and it lasts a lllllloooooooonnngggggggg time.
elkaholic

Postby Buckriser » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 17]

elkaholic wrote:

Technically they are called alumilite microballoons. Hobby airplane makers use the powder to mix with epoxy and build their plane wings. The "powder" consists of microscopic fiberglass balloons. $6 gets you a 32 oz. bottle and it lasts a lllllloooooooonnngggggggg time.

What do you use to carry them in?
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Swede » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I have used corn starch in a squeeze bottle for years. It does the exact same this as baking soda, only better. LOL
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby foxvalley » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 19]

elkaholic wrote:

Sounds like I'm trying the microballoons this year! A huge advantage if they stay in the air and you can "watch the wind" Thanks.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby dreamingbig » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Be careful not to breathe that stuff in or get it in your eyes. I will stick with baking soda.
dreamingbig

Postby foxvalley » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Yikes! Is it to late to do a 180 on the balloons? Don't need that stuff in the eyes no matter how good it flys. No mention of unscented talc,I believe thats whats in the comercial wind checkers. I think a guy should do a test: talc, corn starch or baking soda. I also like the milkweed idea, but I know I won't have time to mess around with that.
foxvalley

Postby foxvalley » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Just did my own little test for stinks and giggles. I dumped out the comercial stuff and used the same bottle for them all .
Baking soda: Couldn't get it to flywell, seems really heavy.

Corn starch: Worked really well. Good hang time.

(Comercial) This stuff says,ultra fine silica minerals. I believe it's talc: It flew the best and had the best hang time, although the corn starch was a close second.

Also, the comercial bottles I noticed, some have larger openings than others, I like the larger ones as I can really fill the air.
foxvalley

Postby Swede » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Corn starch works well as it is lighter than baking powder. My wife hates the mess I make when I fill my squeeze bottle. She thinks if they can train the elk to pee in those little bottles I buy, then I should be able to be trained to put the corn starch in the squeeze bottle. After all it is obvious the elk do not make any mess.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Funny thing about the thread or yarn tied to your bow is I have messed with it but if the wind is just slightly blowing the yarn or thread does not react well at all, I still ended up using my squeeze bottle. Glad to see some hunt windier areas than I!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Buglemaster » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Miller1 wrote:I get milkweed pods and break them open and put the silky center in a small container and pull out a small piece and let it go, i can see it for about 20 yards, its amazing to see how it turns different directions in just 20 yards.

Yep, me too! Got a film canister stuffed full & you can watch them go a long way.Kinda cool to see one float by going 1 way & at the same time with higher elevation another going the opposite direction in the thermals.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Paul: I have achieved the best results using just plain white cotton sewing thread instead of dental floss or yarn. But I'm going to try something new this year. Seems like I always have to experiment with something or another.

I have a big white guard dog that sheds like crazy. His inner hair is soft and fluffy. So I tied a very small fluff of it to the end of my wind string and it seems to work even when I don't even think there is any wind.

I have nothing at all against the puffer bottles. I do use one once in awhile myself. But when I'm working in close to a bull, I trust my wind string because I can monoter it at all times. I also have a string tied on th end of my chuckler.

I can't imagian sneeking to close range of a bull and having to fumble around in my pocket for a puffer just to be sure everything is cool.

But to each his own. What ever works for you guys, go for it.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby elkohalic » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 27]

elkaholic wrote:

The seeds don't germinate the next year? I've never tried the milkweed pods but I like the microballoons because they float forever.

When you bust the milkweed pud open the seeds are all clumped together and you can pull them off before putting the "hairy stuff" into the film canister. They also float in the air longer without the seed attached.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 28]

+1 On the b-soda in an old sinus spray bottle. Dry hot conditions will make my nose bleed so I carry sinus spray in one and b-soda in another. I ended up coloring the b-soda one with a black sharpie because it really hurts when you accidently shoot b-soda up your nose! My hunting buddies thought it was hilarious! :-)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby pointysticks » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 29]

i have this stuff..Diatomaceous earth.

i use it to dust for mite control on my chickens..i floats really well..i bet that would work. but honestly, i've had the same two bottles of Primos windchecker stuff for 5 years. i send out tiny, gentle puffs..i cannot see me running out of the stuff anytime soon. i have a friend that turns the stuff upside down and lets it cascade..his pant leg is white by the end of the hunt.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Dlove » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 30]

I use the pump style nasal mister. They put out a fine mist and last all day and can be refilled with water from your pack. You can also fill with Hydrogene Peroxide to help blood trailing in the dark timber were there is alot of sap. Spray it on a stick or pine cone and if it is blood it will fizz if it is sap nothing.
Attachments
nasal mister.jpg
nasal mister.jpg (1.08 KiB) Viewed 25818 times
Dlove

First Name: Dustin
Last Name: Love

Postby caperoll/Scott » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 31]

I been using smoke in a bottle for years it works great, never tried corn starch might have to tie it out.
Cape Roll / Scott Ward
(208)-329-0329
http://www.caperoll.com
caperoll/Scott
Site Sponsor

Postby mattstanton » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 32]

smoke in a bottle. I love it because it hangs in the air longer than most of the others I have used.
mattstanton

Postby Freebird134 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 33]

I was cleaning out my hunting closet and discovered I had 3 bottles of DDW wind checker that I'd forgot about. I guess that's my wind checker until I run out!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby elkaholic » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 34]

stupid question I know :? ... but where do you find milkweed thistle pods? And how do you separate the seeds from the floaters?
elkaholic

Postby Bowhunter » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 35]

I use the corn starch in an old wind checker bottle. I also use the milkweed silk. I remove the seeds and put them in a small container like a film canister. I swear you drop a milk weed silk from shoulder heigth and it will take a minute to hit the ground If there is any wind or thermalls they will float for a mile.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H