Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

mountian bikes for elk hunting in washington

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

mountian bikes for elk hunting in washington

Postby shorthair15 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 1]

i purchased a mountian bike for elk hunting here in sw washington as most gates are locked during the early season here to motorized access. i can cover more area on the bike and it is alot quieter. i was trying to figure out what would be the best option for carrying my bow with me. i was thinking of hauling it on my pack but this seems to be the hard route thought about useing a bow rack and mounting it to the handle bars. i wont be doing any off road just traveling logging roads. any one on here in washington or oregon that uses a mountian bike. hopefully someone can chime in. could buy another pack that was lighter and try that route but just defeats the purpose of my black creek jim horn pack i already have.
shorthair15

First Name: scott
Last Name: dyer

Re: mountian bikes for elk hunting in washington

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Primos bow sling works well for MT biking.. Slim9300 recommended this last year when I picked up a new MT bike. Tried it a few times and it works fine.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Blackhorn » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 3]

ATV gun rack is the best thing you can use in my opinion. It makes for easy access to your bow and stays in place as long as you use the bungy strap things that they come with.
Attachments
all-rite-atv-pack-rack-plus-gun-rack-sm.jpg
all-rite-atv-pack-rack-plus-gun-rack-sm.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
Blackhorn

Postby shorthair15 » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 4]

my bow is 33 1/4 inch long. if i had a shorter bow it would probably work well. tried it with bow sling from primos but i originally purchased it for my allegience. cant sit down on the seat with pse to long. i got a new bow this year a pse bow madness 3G. i shot a hoyt,pse and mathews. but the pse was 300.00 cheaper and it shoots great. im shooting carbon express maxima hunter 350's with 100 grain slick trick magnums and im shooting 281fps at 61 lbs. i could shoot more weight but dont need to i can hold this bow back along time and its super quiet. may have to go with the atv rack instead. thanks good luck to every one this upcoming season.
shorthair15

First Name: scott
Last Name: dyer