Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thermacell?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thermacell?

Postby Buckriser » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So who all uses one? I have never tried it before and am thinking of getting one for this fall. The bugs/mosquitoes were so bad this last year it's really hard to sit still. Before I get one; I'm curious to know is there a scent emitted? Will it spook the game?
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Re: Thermacell?

Postby planebow » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I have one but only used it once. It keep the bugs away and I did not smell anything with it on right beside me. Have heard nothing but good about them.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Yes, we've used them at camp & around the house outside, it seems to do very good in keeping the skeeters away!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I've never tried them while hunting, but I don't think they'd stink any more than your sweaty body after hiking all morning. You are going to play the wind anyway, right? Might as well do it without getting chewed up by mosquitos!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Goneelkn » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I used one on a bear hunt. You might not be able to smell it, but the bears sure did. Not get out of dodge smell, but definetly they smell it. They do work good though.
Goneelkn

Postby Blackhorn » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Didn't seem to work too well while on the move which is basicaly all I do during the day. At night while cooking and what not it was great it was like having a bubble around you even with the head lamps on.
Blackhorn

Thermacell?

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Has anyone tried the permethrin spray? Also supposed to be odorless, and one application is supposed to last 6 weeks
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ctdad » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 8]

permethrin is the active ingredient in a lot of fly sprays and pour-ons used in livestock. In livestock, if it is applied in an oil based product it works moderately well at keeping biting insects away for a few days at best. Water based products seem to work for a few minutes. I've had a bunch on me over the years, but never applied on purpose as a repellant for myself.

I love my thermacell for tree stand hunting (early season) but haven't wanted to carry it while elk hunting.
ctdad

Postby Breeze » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Permethrine and 'permanone' are excellent for Ticks, and the application on your clothes does seem to last through a couple washings.. for Ticks. Great here in Wisconsin. Never have seen ticks when elk hunting though......
Skeeters don't seem at all bothered by permanone/permethrine.
I've got no experience with thermacell but was wishing I had a couple last week in the Boundary Waters, (mosquitoes/black Flies/gnats/deer flies) so have been reading similar threads.
Breeze