Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sleeping Bags

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sleeping Bags

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Wondering what guys are using that are packing in. I know lightweight is a factor and temp ratings, what is a goal weight for most guys on sleeping bags? I know if you drop $600 you can get super lightweight and compressible, but that's not gonna be an option in my case. Around 3 lbs? 2 lbs? What's the best option for a smaller budget?
HurricaneHuge

Re: Sleeping Bags

Postby Freebird134 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I have a Lafuma that weights 28oz. It's rated to 30F. I think it's called "warm and light" series, or something like that. My buddy just got the 40F version, and it's lighter. We just supplement with a liner to add some warmth as needed. I actually like a liner in my bag anyway. These sleeping bags are around $100 if you get them on sale. I might be willing to invest in a more expensive bag if I hunted in cooler weather, but this works just fine for my September hunting.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby dotman » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I run a kifaru slick bag 20*, depending on your budget this bag packs small, weighs 2lbs and is true to temp. Price is around $300. Only thing is it may be too late to order for this season since they are hand made when ordered, it is possible they have a few instock. This is in my opinion one of the best bags under $300, there are other good bags for less but they do weigh more or have a higher temp rating.
dotman

Postby Broken arrow » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I bought a down 20 degree bag from Coleman for $89. Spent a couple nights in below freezing temps slept in boxers and was to warm. Weights in around 2 lbs. I'm happy with it :D
Broken arrow

Postby Buglemaster » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I picked up (stole) a barely used Big Agnes Lost Ranger a few years ago that weighs a shade over 3#. It is real big in the shoulder area & rated for 15F. Have never been cold in Colorado's sept season. The guy I bought it from wanted something a bit lighter & sold it to me super cheap.I can load the pack for 2-3 days & still be in the 30# load range.I can live with that & knowing I'll get a good nights rest is well worth an extra pound or 2. I've slept in cold bags & that will take all the fun out of a bivi hunt. Good luck!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

First year with my new bag, a Marmot Trestles 15 degree. Grabbed a silk/cotton liner for it so I don't stink/sweat it during my stay on the mountain this fall. Got both items for around 150 bones. I think it's a bit over 3 pounds if I remember correctly. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Sleeping Bags

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Im using a Western Mountaineering Antelope this year. It's a 5 degree down bag below 3 lbs. I had a 20 degree Mountain Hardwear previously, but I sleep cold so I upgraded.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby pointysticks » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 8]

dotman wrote:I run a kifaru slick bag 20*, depending on your budget this bag packs small, weighs 2lbs and is true to temp. Price is around $300. Only thing is it may be too late to order for this season since they are hand made when ordered, it is possible they have a few instock. This is in my opinion one of the best bags under $300, there are other good bags for less but they do weigh more or have a higher temp rating.

i just got this bag..it is almost $400 now..i think i paid $370ish..(maybe $350ish)..i have slept in it..but not in the great outdoors. i should have opted for the wide version. the numbers tell me the normal sized bag is wider than my Marmot NEVER SUMMER, but jumping in..it feels exactly the same. the bag is brilliant..there is a "tube" of insulation material blocking the zipper from the inside. adds alot of warmth with little additional bulk. the compression bag is (oh..maybe that is why i remember $370ish!)..is $45 bucks and wonderful!! i think it should be included in the price but that is just me being cheap. the outside material feels really untough..but i bet it is very tough. it just feels delicate..and i think it gets caught up in the zipper more than any other bag i have owned. it is the most difficult to zip up when i am inside it. tell you the truth..i put the zipper down the left side of my body. not so sure this is correct for me being a righty. cant remember the config of my Marmot.

my marmot is a zero degree bag. brutal in all but the most freezing temps. much too warm!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby elkmtngear » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Got the Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag last Season, I was extremely happy with it; I use it with a Thermarest NeoAir Trekker
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby dotman » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 10]

pointysticks wrote:
dotman wrote:I run a kifaru slick bag 20*, depending on your budget this bag packs small, weighs 2lbs and is true to temp. Price is around $300. Only thing is it may be too late to order for this season since they are hand made when ordered, it is possible they have a few instock. This is in my opinion one of the best bags under $300, there are other good bags for less but they do weigh more or have a higher temp rating.

i just got this bag..it is almost $400 now..i think i paid $370ish..(maybe $350ish)..i have slept in it..but not in the great outdoors. i should have opted for the wide version. the numbers tell me the normal sized bag is wider than my Marmot NEVER SUMMER, but jumping in..it feels exactly the same. the bag is brilliant..there is a "tube" of insulation material blocking the zipper from the inside. adds alot of warmth with little additional bulk. the compression bag is (oh..maybe that is why i remember $370ish!)..is $45 bucks and wonderful!! i think it should be included in the price but that is just me being cheap. the outside material feels really untough..but i bet it is very tough. it just feels delicate..and i think it gets caught up in the zipper more than any other bag i have owned. it is the most difficult to zip up when i am inside it. tell you the truth..i put the zipper down the left side of my body. not so sure this is correct for me being a righty. cant remember the config of my Marmot.

my marmot is a zero degree bag. brutal in all but the most freezing temps. much too warm!!

You must have got a multicam bag, the coyote is $296 for standard 20*. Yup no stuff sack included but you can use any thing for one, just the kifaru 5 string is awesome. I can fit my slik bag, supertarp and annex into the one sack.
dotman

Postby outdoordan » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Hello everyone! New sponsor. If you are looking for a great bag, as previously suggested, the Big Agnes Lost Ranger or other Big Agnes bag would be a great bet. I will even give you a discount on your purchase! :) http://www.hunthardcore1.com/store/main/

Check out the coupons in the store for details.

Sponsor
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred