Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunt on credit?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunt on credit?

Postby Broken arrow » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 1]

How many would actually take out a loan or run up credit card/s just to elk hunt?

Me personally might buy my tag on credit but don't think I'd fund an entire hunt on it.
Broken arrow

Re: Hunt on credit?

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I opened a card to pay for my antelope hunt back in college. Not my smartest move, but also some of the best memories I've had hunting with my friends.
HurricaneHuge

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

If that's what it took for me to elk hunt everyear I'd do it in less than a heartbeat!! I'm kinda a fanatic though so don't go by me! (grin) But you bet, I'm hunting elk no matter what!!!! Life is just too dang short!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Live within your means and hunt within your means. I'm a DIY OTC hunter and it doesn't cost a lot for me to elk hunt. If I was strapped for cash and needed to put everything on a credit card, would I? Answer, hell yes. But only after my family was taken care of first and only if I could pay it off in a reasonable amount of time.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

For short term on a credit card, definitely yes. But only if it could be paid off quickly. Family first by all means. I have got to agree with elknut, life is too short.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

OK, I put my gas on the card and my tags because I apply on line. But nothing else. Too many people get in BIG financal trouble with credit cards. My theory is if you can't pay it off every month, don't use it! As said above, "family first"!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I'm just adding it to the list of stupid s*** I did in college. The nickname Hurricane didn't arrive by chance.
HurricaneHuge

Postby dotman » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Credit Cards are like an infection, they start out small and then get out of hand quickly. I don't recommend using them but if you do make sure you are in control and they are not otherwise next year you will have no credit to hunt on and no free cash, short term fix is all they provide. Only you will know if you should use credit or not and how it will effect you or how quickly you can pay it off.
dotman

Postby Freebird134 » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I've done it, but wouldn't again. I've been helping a buddy roofing on the side to make extra money this year. I'd rather put in some extra time with a side job than go into more debt!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby eriks. » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I use credit cards extensively but only ones with some type of reward like cash back or sporting goods stores, etc. If you will pay them off each billing period, you will come out on top. I have been able to get thousands off cars and stuff from sporting goods stores. You just have to know that you have to pay for it sooner or later and make a determination not to pay any interest or fees. I'm getting outfitted for an elk hunt next year for little or no cash outlay with my cards. Use them as a tool and let the banks pay for your stuff!
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby elkaholic » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I have used them as a short term fix but don't recommend using more on them than you can pay off. I too utilize a card that gets me rewards that I can use to get new gear. Enjoy watching the points accumulate thinking about my new piece of equipment..
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Hunt on credit?

Postby Nelsonv » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I charge all of my draw hunts on a credit card specifically for that. I know I won't draw most of them and will just gain a PP. I get refunded when it's over minus the PP or processing fee. When it's all said and done I only actually charge around $400 but I accumulate a lot of flyer miles from the purchases. And if I get drawn for a few of them then I will be in the hole about $6000. That's 6 grand well spent!!
Nelsonv

Postby easeup » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 13]

borrowing money on tomorrow is not a good practice. It leads to all sorts of poor decisions and can lead to a form of slavery.

I suppose we all want to do some fun exotic hunt for a trophy in a far away region. that is what dreamsare made of. I guess I have come to realize there are some things that are out of my league.
easeup

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Other than automatic withdrawl on house and utility bills everything goes on the CC.
But never, ever carrry a balance or pay a fee.

Would I barrow money to go on a hunt?,.. again, never ever
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Oregoncombatvet » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 15]

ElkNut1 wrote:If that's what it took for me to elk hunt everyear I'd do it in less than a heartbeat!! I'm kinda a fanatic though so don't go by me! (grin) But you bet, I'm hunting elk no matter what!!!! Life is just too dang short!

ElkNut1

I am the same way. Come hell or high water I am going elk hunting.
Oregoncombatvet

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Coleman

Postby BobcatJerry » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I'm like Lefty and Eriks, I put everything on but never carried a balance in 30 years. If I had to finance a hunting trip, I wouldn't go except if it was once in a life time deal. I don't spend what I don't have. That's why I didn't start doing western trips till about 4 years ago. Credit is a curse, if you don't have self control.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby shooter21 » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I have a buddy that racks up around 10 to 12 grand a year on cc to hunt been doing it for years to pays them off some how to is what amazes me
shooter21

First Name: vincent
Last Name: lopez