Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Whats on your feet.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Whats on your feet.

Postby foxvalley » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I would like to hear what you wear on your feet for boots and socks. I don't think anything is more important beside your weapon. I have been using a 15" high country hunter boot from Russell Mocosin Co. for the last 25 years of stomping around the panhandle of Idaho. This is a handmade boot(moccasin)and is made by tracing your foot, and taking all kinds of measurements so your foot fits like a glove....sorry. My socks this year are the 17" cabelas ultimax liner sock together with the ultimax medium weight sock.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: Whats on your feet.

Postby eltaco » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I'll be wearing my Meindl Alaska Hiker boots again this year... very solid boot and I'd highly recommend the Meindl boots to anyone. I'm at about 225 Mi on this set and they don't look any worse off for it.

I also picked up a pair of Crispi Kannada as the price was right and I'd like to have a backup set at camp. I'll report on those once September winds down!
eltaco

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I picked up a pair of meindl by cabelas ultralights. They feel great right out of the box. I have been breaking them in but im still trying to find socks i like.
Jahnke76

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Im on the el-cheapo budget,
Cabelas Trail Hikers that have been discontinued.
I also bought Cabelas lightweight Arizona trail hikers,
but always good wool socks and a few pair of Cabelas work socls for sleeping and I guess backup
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Crispi GTX Hunters 10" tops! Very good boot!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Danner Pronghorns. I need a new pair of early season boot. Had a pair of Rocky's that worked just fine for about 2 months. I got them in the winter and after spring turkey season the stitching was already starting to loosen up and fray. After elk season there were matching holes on both sides of my boot, on both OF the boots. Now I know why Rocky has slipped so far down the list in the "boot department."

Danner Pronghorns are great and hold up but they're heavy and hot. Only complaint I have with them. Too much boot for early september.

As far as socks I usually wear merino wool or a synthetic sock. Anything but cotton really. I love the merino wool but have never had a problem wearing a synthetic blend of socks. They're light and very breathable.....and cheaper then merino.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Buckriser » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I will be wearing Solomon GTX 3d mid hiking boots with the quick lace system, and garge to tuck the laces away and wearing a cabelas nylon liner sock, with a thicker wool type sock over that. So far i love these boots, very light weight and comfortable. I have a back-up pair of Asolo fugitive GTX mid hikers that ive been wearing for years. Both great boots.
Attachments
solomon.jpg
solomon.jpg (8.87 KiB) Viewed 52538 times
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby PREZ » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I have a pair of Asolo Flame GTX and a pair of Kenetrek Hard Scrabble. The Kenetreks are so much more comfortable and fit great. I went with First-Lite Merino wool socks with liners.
PREZ

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Preziosi

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Second year with Danner Pronghorns.. So far, so good. Like some of the others have mentioned.. I use a thin liner and a merino wood sock.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Whats on your feet.

Postby iRem » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I appreciate hearing what everyone else is wearing for boots! I know I'm looking for a quality pair of boots that I need not to buy after 2-3 years. I am currently wearing Rock's which are fine but not a very solid footbed. I'm in the maker for a new pair! I do wear Merino wool socks with a cool fit liner sock but currently wear the U/A snowboard Merino Wool sick that has a padded footbed and extra padding in the shin! I started wearing these when I could stay off the steeps for hunting, seems like that's where the game hang out!!
iRem

Postby Broken arrow » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Lowa renagades coolmax liners and smart wool socks
Broken arrow

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I'm similar along the lines of Buckriser with the Salomon Quest 4D GTX hiking boots. I think I saw slim mention them on Archerytalk once before. Little to no break in time, plenty of support, and for a guy who's only going to be chasing for 10 day in September, probably just right for what I need. I'm certainly interested in a higher end boot but at the time being can't justify going anymore than what these are. Seemed like a good purchase for me, and will double as a great all around boot for my needs around here.

http://www.rei.com/product/780681/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-hiking-boots-mens
HurricaneHuge

Postby LckyTylr » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I wear the Meindl Perfekt Hunters (10" boot with 400 Grams of Thinsulate and are Gore-tex waterproof). This will be my 6th season in the same pair. I have not yet gotten water inside the boot except over the top. When I pump water to resupply, I stand in the creek without fear of wet feet. I can hunt all day in them and my feet, knees, hips, back don't hurt at the end of a long day. They offer quite a bit of ankle support for side hilling and packing weight, just jab one edge into the mountain and trust them. They are a bit on the heavy side, but from what I have found, most boots that offer that much support and strength are of equal weight. I love them, my next pair of boots (who knows when that will be) will probably be the Meindl Denali Fit IQ's, as they are nearly the same boot, but without insulation, with a protective rubber rand around the bottom 3/4" to shield off sharp rocks, and they have a memory foam insole as opposed to the Perfekt's Cork insole. Meindle for LIFE . . . . . . . . . as long as they don't outsource to China.

Socks, Cabelas Coolmax liners and Cabela's Merino Wool / synthetic blend (Outfitters I think).
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Dirty D » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I've worn a lot of different boots over the years, everything from Walmart brand work boots, Mendil, Danner, Rocky, Asolo, etc. and honestly I think it has more to do with breaking your feet in than the brand of boot. These days I spend a big part of my workweek sitting at a desk and unless I work hard to get my feet in trail ready condition, they'll be screaming at me after a long hunt. My brother wears whatever cheapo brand and never complains, one he's a lot tougher than I am but he's also on his feet all day everyday.

Whatever you do stop and throw on some moleskin or ductape when you feel a blister starting to form.

Blisters.jpg
Blisters.jpg (60.35 KiB) Viewed 52505 times
Dirty D

Whats on your feet.

Postby Buckriser » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Ouch!!!
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Lefty » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Dirty D wrote:
Blisters.jpg

Try a couple different socks,.. some boots just wont fit your feet.
I need a big toe box, my 2nd and 3rd toe are longer than my big toe,
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Kenetrek mountain extremes at the moment. I also wore the under armour ridge reaper boot last year in New mexico, great boot and very light but I dont think it will hold up to the wear and tear of the Kenetreks.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Kenetrek Mountain extremes uninsulated - Tough as nails and the best mountain boot FOR ME (I've tried Lowas, Meindl, Danner, and Rocky to date).

NEVER buy boots on someone else's advice (you can see how durable they are from other people). You must try them on an make sure they fit.
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby foxvalley » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Dirty D, Thank goodness for moleskin!! I remember blisters that big. I solved my blister problem by wearing 2 pairs of socks. 1 liner sock,1 reg sock. Now it's sock,sock rubbing, not sock skin rubbing.
foxvalley

Postby dotman » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I have had multiple pairs of Asolo boots and they have been the best boot I have ever owned but they also fit my feet great which is huge in comfort. It is also nice that Sierra Trading Post has such good deals on these boots. I have never blistered my feet in my Asolos but I do break them in way before they will be worn all day for days on end.
dotman

Postby ctdad » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 21]

I have Asolo gtx 520 and really like them. I just ordered a pair of hanwags and am going to try them as well. I've found myself wearing my asolo boots almost every single day to work in because they offer the most support and I'm on cement all day long. A friend recommended trying hanwag so I'm going to give them a shot also. My only complaint about the Asolo is they took a long time to break in.
ctdad

Postby JoeH2o » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Hanwag Trapper Elite with the High Country Synergy footbeds, merino wool socks made by danner and a variaty of smartwool socks.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby JoeH2o » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 23]

ElkNut1 wrote:Crispi GTX Hunters 10" tops! Very good boot!

ElkNut1

I think you ment 11" tops, most all boot makers make 10" tops. Crispi Hunters are 11". :geek:
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby elkaholic » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Yeeeouch Dirty D!! Danner Elk hunters for me. I wear smart wool socks under a stubby football sock, similiar to what Cameron Hanes does on his trips.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Blackhorn » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Lowa tibets. They took some time to break in, but I like them alot. They do get a little warm when the temps get in the 90's, but what boot doesn't.
Blackhorn

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Crispi Users:
About a month ago I was talking to different boot companys about potential sponsorships. One of them on the list was Crispi (recommendations from a good friend Tom Ryle and Elknut). We were looking for a boot to promote for of our small video production company (Primetime Outdoors) and one of the stipulations were we couldn't ever show the boots with dead animals (video or pictures)?????? I was confused how does a production company that is strictly hunting promote your product??? He was concerned about his other clientele (hikers & mountaineers who don't agree with hunting).

Our sport is in enough trouble, therefore I will not be putting any of my money into a company that doesn't fully support hunting. I have always been a big fan of Kenetrek and they will get all of my money in the future.
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby Goneelkn » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 27]

PHELPS GAME CALLS wrote:Our sport is in enough trouble, therefore I will not be putting any of my money into a company that doesn't fully support hunting. I have always been a big fan of Kenetrek and they will get all of my money in the future.

Thanks, i was thinking about trying a pair. For sure not now.
Goneelkn

Postby Dirty D » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 28]

Yes, that's good to know.
Dirty D

Postby ctdad » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 29]

I agree that hunting is a great sport and we need to do all we can to promote it. However, I do understand where a boot company is coming from. Their goal is to sell boots. They are a business trying to earn a profit. I disagree with the anti-hunting movement, but I wouldn't expect a boot company to take a stance on that position. Too political and emotional for a company who just wants to make and sell boots for profit.

I understand your using another company and I respect that, but I don't think I can give up on Crispi boots because they are willing to remain neutral on the subject of hunting vs. not hunting (though I've never owned a pair). I bought my Asolo boots from an outdoor store and they were sold to me by a kid who likely thinks I'm a bad person because I hunt. We both wear the same boots and I'm sure Asolo is just happy to have sold two pair of boots.
ctdad

Postby N5J » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 30]

Boots....Lowa Tibets...1 pair with goretex and 1 pair without. Socks...1 thin liner and 1 smart wool. When season gets closer I usually will walk 4 miles every other day with my boots on to get my feet reconditioned to my boots. Never had any issues.......

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby eriks. » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 31]

Has anyone ever tried Merrell hiking boots? I hunt in the Midwest and don't have to contend with all the rugged terrain found in the mountains. They have been very comfortable here but I'm sure that it could be a totally different situation elsewhere.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby ctdad » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 32]

I used Merrell's last year and was not happy at all. They weren't even remotely water resistant, let alone water proof and they were suppose to be goretex (waterproof). They also didn't off near as much support in the sole as I like in the mountains. I live in Nebraska, and while Merrell's are fine for around here, I didn't care for them out west.
ctdad

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 33]

Has anybody tried the Hanwag Mountain Light GTX?
bowpackerrob

Postby ctdad » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 34]

bowpackerrob wrote:Has anybody tried the Hanwag Mountain Light GTX?

I have a pair in the mail on there way here right now. Give me a couple weeks and I'll have an opinion. My hunting partner recommended them.
ctdad

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 35]

Great ctad, keep us posted. I was reading about them today and really like the sound of them, especially the weight at 3.3 lbs.
bowpackerrob

Postby Swede » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 36]

The best fitting over the counter boot I have found for my feet are Danners. I have a couple with 10 tops and one with 6 inch tops. They are not very water resistant though. In fact I believe they can resist water about as well as I can resist chocolate icecream.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby eriks. » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 37]

Thanks ctdad. It's good to know that info before taking off into the mountains. I'll be looking in other places then for a mountain boot.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby foxvalley » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 38]

compressed boots.jpg
compressed boots.jpg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 52338 times

Here are 2 pair of Russel high country hunter boots (moccasins) One pair I had hand made, and the other pair is lined with goretex, and bought "off the shelf".If you get a pair made and they don't fit,send them back. You have your choice of soles, I like the air-bob. They are waterproof to the top, tough as nails, and best of all, they have great ankle support.
foxvalley

Postby Freebird134 » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 39]

I do most of my hunting in the Meindl Denali boots. I love them. They'll be my elk hunting boot again this year, and I'll wear them mule deer hunting too (I have 5 days planned with my pop before my elk trip). I saw some guys talking about using fivefinger shoes for stalking mule deer. Instead of closing that last 100 yards in socks, guys are slipping on these shoes. they are definitely quieter than boots, but give you some protection against sharp rocks and cacti. So I picked up a pair. I've been breaking them in, and so far so good. Can't wait to see if I can slip close to a mulie in these ridiculous shoes....
Attachments
feet.png
feet.png (753.61 KiB) Viewed 52333 times
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby foxvalley » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 40]

Careful out there freebird, somebody might mistake you for a sasquach.
foxvalley

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 41]

Foxvalley, great looking boots!! When you mentioned moccasins earlier I had not pictured anything like the boots in your photo! Those are nice elk hunting boots for sure, I love the high tops!

Freebird, I would not be caught dead in those things!! (big grin) I'd rather be bare footed walking across broken glass with my feet bleeding profusely before wearing those!!! A guy has to have standards!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Freebird134 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 42]

ElkNut1 wrote:Freebird, I would not be caught dead in those things!! (big grin) I'd rather be bare footed walking across broken glass with my feet bleeding profusely before wearing those!!! A guy has to have standards!! (grin)

Where we deer hunt isn't far from what you describe. The ground is littered with sharp lava rock and pieces of obsidian. Plus a few cactus here and there. Bleeding feet are a real possibilty. I'll try my funny shoes. You can laugh at them. And my trekking poles. But if they help, it's worth it! :)

foxvalley wrote:Careful out there freebird, somebody might mistake you for a sasquach.

I figure I'll wear my sasquach feet with one of those "Be the decoy" hats and shirts, and I'll blend right in :)
Freebird134

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 43]

Ha Ha, at least you can take some light hearted joking around! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 44]

Rugged Mtns I wear my Asolo Power Matic, I think 250

I also have a set of Schee's Beartooth, but hoping to sell them soon in trade for the Schnee's Wilderness. I am not a fan of the high tops.

I am also looking at the Salamon QUEST 4D GTX, used to have the Salamon WINGS SKY GTX as these were great, I just wore them plain out after 3 years of all kinds of outdoor activities!

Elk Hunter Magazine just had an article written by Nate Simmons on footwear, some very good insight on footwear.

Don't forget to get yourself some custom orthotics! I prefer these over the SuperFeet and similar products, especially due to my flat feet...
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby elkaholic » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 45]

Keep us posted Freebird on how stealthy they are. I have thought about picking up a pair instead of wearing heavy socks. I don't have the issue of cactus though. Man that will put a damper on the sneak when you take a thorn in the foot....
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby foxvalley » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 46]

elkaholic wrote:Keep us posted Freebird on how stealthy they are. I have thought about picking up a pair instead of wearing heavy socks. I don't have the issue of cactus though. Man that will put a damper on the sneak when you take a thorn in the foot....

All kidding aside, I bought a pair of wool slippers with a leather sole for the exact same reason as freebird. I was stealthy as a cat with them, but were very slippery in the mtns.
foxvalley

Postby Freebird134 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 47]

elkaholic wrote:Keep us posted Freebird on how stealthy they are. I have thought about picking up a pair instead of wearing heavy socks. I don't have the issue of cactus though. Man that will put a damper on the sneak when you take a thorn in the foot....

Will do. I don't think they'll be as quiet as heavy socks or leather moccasins, but but they're quieter than my boots. They have vibram soles that should aid with traction if I have to sneak around any rock piles. They look goofy--really goofy--and I don't blame anyone for having the reaction like Paul. I made fun of all my friends that have them. But I think the dexterity and protection will be worth it on a sneak.

They are also good for the gym. People recommend doing squats and deadlifts barefoot, but I hate messing with my shoes in the gym and feel weird walking around in socks. I've been lifting in them for a couple weeks and I like it.
Freebird134

Postby foxvalley » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 48]

Freebird134 wrote:

Will do. I don't think they'll be as quiet as heavy socks or leather moccasins, but but they're quieter than my boots. They have vibram soles that should aid with traction if I have to sneak around any rock piles. They look goofy--really goofy--and I don't blame anyone for having the reaction like Paul. I made fun of all my friends that have them. But I think the dexterity and protection will be worth it on a sneak.

They are also good for the gym. People recommend doing squats and deadlifts barefoot, but I hate messing with my shoes in the gym and feel weird walking around in socks. I've been lifting in them for a couple weeks and I like it.

Freebird,I did find an accessory to go along with your "feet".
http://www.etsy.com/listing/5541784/pur ... penis-sock
foxvalley

Postby foxvalley » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 49]

FYI ...... smaller sizes are available.
foxvalley

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 50]

Freebird,

Dont take the ribbing too hard. I'm using Five Fingers now to force me into being a midfoot striker when I run. They also make squats harder! I've had them out on a couple hikes, and they are pretty quiet. I've got good underfoot feel in them so I think they'll be good on a stalk.

I'm taking them to Colorado this year for creek crossings, camp shoe, and stalking shoe. I think they'll be better than my Crocs at all of those.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby foxvalley » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 51]

LOL freebird!
I left myself wide open for you a couple times to get me back,.........come on, I'm starting to feel left out.
foxvalley

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 52]

Merino wool socks from Costco and Kenetrek Mountain Extremes....wish I wouldn't have bought the insulated pair...too hot ,even in October.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby pointysticks » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 53]

my old danners were 400gr boots. much too warm. i'm not made of money, so i had to use the same boots for everything..even spring turkey. i wore them for at least 9 years. i finally split the sole.

now i bought 200gr boots. Schnee beartooths..i love how they really cover my ankles. i have sprained my ankles multiple times, and now the seem wobbly. i will carry moleskin with me, at this season will be the maiden voyage. those blisters look brutal!! but they look like a bad fit problem, no? my heel doesnt move like that in any boot. schnee boots are big (for me) money..i hope i get many many years from them..i hunt less :( than most of you guys..they should make the duration. i wore the boots while working on my neighbor's yard. it was a very hot day..100deg. i almost fainted, but my feet were very comfy. no blister so far. i definately tore into them..past the point where i would be comfy returning them. hahah.

those RUSSELLS look amazing. good looking!! i wouldnt call my beartooths, good looking.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 54]

wow!! just googled the RUSSELS!! wow!!

expensive! but i love the foot measurements.
pointysticks

Postby Dlove » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 55]

Meindl Perfekt Hikers
Dlove

First Name: Dustin
Last Name: Love

Postby Miller1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 56]

Dlove wrote:Meindl Perfekt Hikers

I thought thats what you had on in the pic with your tent, i just got a pair but havnt done much hiking with them yet, how did they work on your alaska hunt?
Miller1

First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller

Postby Dlove » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 57]

They were great both me & my wife had them and neither one of us got blisters. The waterproofing is excellent just wish they had the rubber that came up the sides and over the toes to protect the leather against the rocks
Dlove

First Name: Dustin
Last Name: Love

Postby Flintlocker » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 58]

Dlove wrote:They were great both me & my wife had them and neither one of us got blisters. The waterproofing is excellent just wish they had the rubber that came up the sides and over the toes to protect the leather against the rocks

Could use some Goop or maybe liquid rubber if you wanted to go that route. I remember doing that to the toe of my baseball cleats when I pitched in high school way back when.

I picked up a pair of the same boots a couple weeks ago and have been using them hiking with a weighted pack. Nice boot that I would recommend too.
Flintlocker

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Plank

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 59]

foxvalley wrote:Dirty D, Thank goodness for moleskin!! I remember blisters that big. I solved my blister problem by wearing 2 pairs of socks. 1 liner sock,1 reg sock. Now it's sock,sock rubbing, not sock skin rubbing.

I used to hunt Catalina Island back in 70s, 80s and 90s. for goats and hogs. Lot of very steep side hilling. Saw a lot of bloody feet. I have been wearing a sock liner ever since, and won't put any boot on with out them. Just got 3 more pair on E bay yesterday.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby foxvalley » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 60]

CrazyElkHunter wrote:
foxvalley wrote:Dirty D, Thank goodness for moleskin!! I remember blisters that big. I solved my blister problem by wearing 2 pairs of socks. 1 liner sock,1 reg sock. Now it's sock,sock rubbing, not sock skin rubbing.

I used to hunt Catalina Island back in 70s, 80s and 90s. for goats and hogs. Lot of very steep side hilling. Saw a lot of bloody feet. I have been wearing a sock liner ever since, and won't put any boot on with out them. Just got 3 more pair on E bay yesterday.

Nothing will wreck a hunt faster than blistered feet. I hope the newbe's heading for the mtns. for the first time take this to heart.
foxvalley

Postby easeup » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 61]

I use nothing more than Cabelas cheap ol hikers and walmart cotton socks.
It has been working great for years. no reason to change.
easeup

Postby pointysticks » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 62]

i think for me at least..the taller boots benefit me in two ways.

first my little girlie ankles get some protection from sprains.

second, a biggie: laced up the added security of the cinched up leather on my ankles prevent my heels from going up and down independently from the boot. those images of the heels..wow..that has never happened to me, not with tall boots on. that would end my hunt.
pointysticks

Postby foxvalley » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 63]

pointysticks wrote:i think for me at least..the taller boots benefit me in two ways.

second, a biggie: laced up the added security of the cinched up leather on my ankles prevent my heels from going up and down independently from the boot. those images of the heels..wow..that has never happened to me, not with tall boots on. that would end my hunt.

I'm with you on both of those points........ sorry pointysticks. Also, where we hunt, every drainage has water in it,and we are crossing creeks all the time. The higher boots help keep the feet from getting soaked.
foxvalley

Postby pointysticks » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 64]

foxvalley wrote:
pointysticks wrote:i think for me at least..the taller boots benefit me in two ways.

I'm with you on both of those points........ sorry pointysticks. Also, where we hunt, every drainage has water in it,and we are crossing creeks all the time. The higher boots help keep the feet from getting soaked.

great point!! i've crossed water with a cord tied around the bottom of my rain pants. i get damp, but have always gotten by without the total soaking. i love my boots in tall.
pointysticks

Postby Chukarhunter » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 65]

ElkNut1 wrote:Crispi GTX Hunters 10" tops! Very good boot!

ElkNut1

Thought you bought a pair of Kennetrek's a few years ago, Paul. Do you like these Crispi better?
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill

Postby Oregoncombatvet » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 66]

Rocky S2V combat boot. I have worn them on 3 deployments and have hunted in them the last 4 years and I wouldnt trade them for anything during Archery season. Late season I go with a Gortex version. There about 150.00 But I heard that the new under Armor boot is even nicier but I dont know how they hold up.
Oregoncombatvet

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Coleman