Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My pack list

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

My pack list

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 1]

This is my list of items I have in my pack for my first elk hunt in colorado early in september. I have a eberlestock blue widow for a pack. I know all Im missing is the kitchen sink but I would rather be prepared for anything. If there is something Im missing or something that I dont really need please let me know. Everything listed here with the pack and a full 2 liter bladder weigh in at 36 lbs. I know Paul has a video with what he carries but what kind of stuff do you carry as well.

spare broadheads
Havalon with 12 spare blades
ka-bar on belt
rain suit
spare gloves
spare socks
rangefinder
spare release
msr sweetwater
water bladder
baby wipes
tp
calls
allen wrenches
multi tool
gerber saw with bone and wood blades
small sharpener
camera
flashlight and headlamp
.45 xd and spare mag.
game bags and chili powder
gps
spare batteries
flag ribbon
black tape
chemlight
sunscreen
elknut's playbook
trekking pole
facepaint
broadhead wrench
pencil
snacks
Cutco knife

I also have a pouch with a first aid kit that I bought and added a few things.
aspirin
ibuprofin
bandages
guaze
super glue
ace bandage
blister medic
band aids
quik clot
tweezers
antibiotic cream
tums
alchohol wipes
athletic tape
hydrocortizone cream
acid reducer
excedrin
superduperibupro
iodine wipes
splinter remover
celox granules
large triangle bandage
antiseptic towels
lip ointment
burn cream
sunscreen packets
sting relief
poison ivy cleanser
insect repellent packets
non aspirin tabs
electrolyte tabs
butterfly closures
moleskins
cotton swabs
cold pack
finger splints
safety pins
carmex
e-blanket
I also took another small pouch with some survival items in it
compass
water tabs
paracord
lighter
magnesium&flint
e-blanket
whistle
Tinder
fishing kit
compass
chemlight
Jahnke76

Re: My pack list

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Holy smokes.. Are you an Army medic? :) How many days are you heading in for? I see no camping gear or food except snacks. Are you hunting with an outfitter? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby dotman » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

WOW! I think you are going over board on the first aid kit but we each have our comfort levels. I agree with Rory, what you sleeping in and why two e-blankets? Also th you may need more then snacks :) Also i'm pretty sure asprin is a no no when you are up in elevation, just take ibprophen. Also try to remember to not pack to your fears but bare minimum for survival/comfort, your back will thank me.
dotman

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 4]

This is actually just for a daypack. We will be camping out of the truck. My firstaid kit does have quite a bit in it but is only 4x6x1.5 and weighs 8 ozs. I like to be prepared for anything. Thats also why Im hoping someone can tell me if Im going way overboard. I have been hunting whitetail around here for 20 years and carry quite a bit of stuff for that.
Jahnke76

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Got your email Steve and sent you my packing list in Excel format that calculates lbs once you plug in ozs. Take a look at what i sent you and either PM or email me if you have any questions. Mine shows what will go in my BW for day hunts (highlighted in green) after I've packed in and set up my camp. Still tweaking the list I sent you but it's close to being there. I certainly think there's room for adjustment on your initial list. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 6]

sweet thanks!
Jahnke76

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 7]

The first -aid kit is a little excessive. But if you are comfortable with it, that is what counts. And at only 8 oz. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I suppose it is better not to need it and have it than to need it and not have it.

You say your pack is 36#??? I just don't see that much weight there unless you have alot of lead in that pencil. LOL! 16-18 pounds is all I have in my daypack. You look to have most of your bases covered but I would suggest you have a topo map of the area. Also, if you are hunting alone, a SPOT, a PLB, or a cell phone might be handy to have.

For a daypack, I see no need for spare gloves, spare socks, spare broadheads, or a broadhead wrench and allen wrenches. You can leave that stuff at the truck if you need it. And there is no need for the camo makeup. All that is good for is getting your pillow dirty at night. But if you feel looking like Rambo makes you a better bowhunter, that is also up to you.

Alot of guys don't pack a handgun. Personally, I do some of the time. The weight of the gun is enough by itself. The extra magazine is not necessary because you probably won't ever fire a shot.

For a day hunt, I'd get rid of the water bladder and just pack a water bottle or two. That will save you alot of weight. A couple of days in the Colorado mountains and you'll find yourself shedding all the weight out of your pack that you can. One way to do that is get rid of the rain gear on days when you are pretty sure the sun will be out. One of those $1.98 plactic ponchos from WallyWorld can serve as emergency rain gear on those kind of day. And, it also makes a nice disposable ground cloth to lay your meat on when you bone it out.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 8]

quote=">>>---WW---->"]The first -aid kit is a little excessive. But if you are comfortable with it, that is what counts. And at only 8 oz. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I suppose it is better not to need it and have it than to need it and not have it. Especially with the guys Im going with. But thats my theory as well..

You say your pack is 36#??? I just don't see that much weight there unless you have alot of lead in that pencil. LOL! 16-18 pounds is all I have in my daypack. You look to have most of your bases covered but I would suggest you have a topo map of the area. Also, if you are hunting alone, a SPOT, a PLB, or a cell phone might be handy to have. I am in the process of getting topo maps and will be group hunting with 2 others.

For a daypack, I see no need for spare gloves, spare socks, spare broadheads, or a broadhead wrench and allen wrenches. You can leave that stuff at the truck if you need it. And there is no need for the camo makeup. All that is good for is getting your pillow dirty at night. But if you feel looking like Rambo makes you a better bowhunter, that is also up to you. I was kinda thinking the same thing about the gloves, socks heads, broadhead wrench. The allen wreches are small and fit nicely with my multitool and only weigh a few ounces. As far as the "makeup" do you use a facenet or nothing? I have a really white face!

Alot of guys don't pack a handgun. Personally, I do some of the time. The weight of the gun is enough by itself. The extra magazine is not necessary because you probably won't ever fire a shot. Im used to the weight of this on my belt because I am always carrying. I have heard from a few people about some pot farms in the area we will be hunting. I would take an ar15 if I could.

For a day hunt, I'd get rid of the water bladder and just pack a water bottle or two. That will save you alot of weight. A couple of days in the Colorado mountains and you'll find yourself shedding all the weight out of your pack that you can. One way to do that is get rid of the rain gear on days when you are pretty sure the sun will be out. One of those $1.98 plactic ponchos from WallyWorld can serve as emergency rain gear on those kind of day. And, it also makes a nice disposable ground cloth to lay your meat on when you bone it out. I tend to drink alot of water so I may need both, but will play around with that. I agree with the rain gear and will add a cheap poncho to my list soon.[/quote]
I definately have some stuff to redo with this so I am packing everything up and heading to the biggest hills we have to see how it goes. I will be doing that a few times a week so I can rearrange my pack and see how much weight I need to shave off. Thanks again.
Jahnke76

Postby idahoghost » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Is there a link to Paul's video?
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Jahnke76

Postby Goneelkn » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Used to use face paint. And as was said, it just gets on your pillow. I use a spandoflage face mask. I cut out the top and don't cut any eye holes. I wear it around my neck, so all i have to do is pull it up over my WHITE beard to just below my eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/Spandoflage-Head- ... pandoflage
Goneelkn

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I liked your responces. Very good!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 13]

The other thing I forgot to mention is facemasks tend to drive me nuts touching my face and I dont care for things around my neck so the facepaint has taken care of that for turkey and whitetail. I am gonna try a few different masks out to see if there is one I can handle. Thanks for the comments I really want to make this hunt work the best I can.
Jahnke76

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Jahnke76 wrote:The other thing I forgot to mention is facemasks tend to drive me nuts touching my face and I dont care for things around my neck so the facepaint has taken care of that for turkey and whitetail. I am gonna try a few different masks out to see if there is one I can handle. Thanks for the comments I really want to make this hunt work the best I can.

You may want to do your best to get used to a facemask and hunting with long sleeves and perhaps, thin gloves. The black gnats (no-seeums) and world class skeetos will eat the meat off your head in the mountain states without one. They also help when you're field dressing an elk, to keep carnivorous blood suckers off your face :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Phantom16 wrote:
Jahnke76 wrote:The other thing I forgot to mention is facemasks tend to drive me nuts touching my face and I dont care for things around my neck so the facepaint has taken care of that for turkey and whitetail. I am gonna try a few different masks out to see if there is one I can handle. Thanks for the comments I really want to make this hunt work the best I can.

You may want to do your best to get used to a facemask and hunting with long sleeves and perhaps, thin gloves. The black gnats (no-seeums) and world class skeetos will eat the meat off your head in the mountain states without one. They also help when you're field dressing an elk, to keep carnivorous blood suckers off your face :) RJ

Good point with the bugs. Long sleeves and gloves dont bother me. I forgot about the boone and crockett skeeters that are out there. Im definately going to start looking for a facemask.
Jahnke76

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Yes sir.. the bugs out here sometimes warrant a judo point to take em down :)

Steve.. did you take a look at the backcountry packing list I sent for my BW?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I received them but have been trying to get my computer to open them. Im hoping i will get to look them over tonight.
Jahnke76

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Jahnke76 wrote:I received them but have been trying to get my computer to open them. Im hoping i will get to look them over tonight.

It's in an MS Excel spreadsheet.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 19]

I just looked it over. I see a few differences that give me some ideas. I see im close so I must be on the right track. I need to make something like that so I know what Im taking and whether it goes in my pack on me or leave at camp. I know I have a pretty extensive first aid and survival kit but boy if something were to happen I know ill be glad to have them. Im hoping in the next week to pull everything out of my pack and weigh everything individually so I can get a more accurate weight. Im guessing you have quite a few bears around to be carrying that cannon though. Im just hoping if I need my sidearm for bear protection 14 rounds of .45 ball and hollowpoints will stop it, or else I have to count on my ka-bar. I do like your list though and if I ever do a bivy hunt I will definately use that as a model. Thanks again.
Steve
Jahnke76

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 20]

My first aid kit is a bit simpler. I took what was posted on another site and spoke with a couple neighbors both Army medics
A couple tampax,
3 1" bandaids
Ibeprophine
quick clot

asprin
Tums
Prilosec
2 percoset
duct tape
tweezer
neosporin ( little packets)
antiseptic swipes
Benadryl
Paracord
Utility knife razor blade,
and a snakebite kit with anticeptic, mini scalpal and suction tube
Emergency kit, 12 hour candles, matches lighter, plastic bag, reflector mirror fleece lightweight glove, face mask, beanie.compass , back packers E-whistle, two mini tactical flashlights, a good oversized emergency blanket,reflective LED lite those super bright tiny things in red and white I may have phone reception thins year so Ill add a phone

I keep my butchering kit with skinning and boning knives sharpner , gloves, papertowel, gamebags, plastic tool box and 100 lbs or more of ice at the truck

Emergency kit, 12 hour candles, matches lighter, plastic bag, reflector mirror fleece lightweight glove, face mask, beanie

I generally carry a lot of water, over 100 oz in bladders, a couple juice drinks apple oranges, granola bars, candy bars god sanbwiches

I keep a lot of stuff at camp to fit the day
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H