Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Got Jacket?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Got Jacket?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 1]

The layering and rain gear threads got me thinking about this. Curious to hear what others take into the backcountry for their outer layer, or, layers? Talking pack in, backcountry SEPT archery hunts. Do you take in an actual outer jacket, just a rain top, or both.....and what is your reasoning (rain top works for all applications..don't need the extra weight of a jacket; actual jacket is used for sitting/glassing, wallow/travel route sitting, and keeping warm back at camp, etc.)?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Got Jacket?

Postby PRIMAL-ARCHERY » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I take a regular jacket with water shedding capabilities. I also carry a military poncho. It has so many uses that it makes it worth its weight. Which really isn't that much. If it rains hard enough I can break it out and ride out the storm. If I get one on the ground it makes a great place to set meat while working on the rest of the animal. Not to mention all the emergency things it could be used for. If its raining hard enough to wear then Im not actively chasing the elk, so it getting in the way f shooting is a non issue.
PRIMAL-ARCHERY

Postby dotman » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Well I guess I kind of do & don't. I layer with the complete first light system up top, from lite weight base, med base, vest, to sweater jacket. If it rains I have a hard shell rain jacket that goes over everything. This system works very well for me. What I found in years past is that the soft shell jacket was only getting used as a pillow.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

No jacket here, I mean a big bulky jacket that takes up room & is used little! I layer & I would have a med wool pullover in my pack for those cold or night time times. I have my packable rain gear & that does awesome for wind & cold protection as the outside layer if needed! I will build a fire in the evenings or if it's really cold & nasty out to warm up, it doesn't bother elk!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkmtngear » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 5]

ElkNut1 wrote:No jacket here, I mean a big bulky jacket that takes up room & is used little! I layer & I would have a med wool pullover in my pack for those cold or night time times. I have my packable rain gear & that does awesome for wind & cold protection as the outside layer if needed! I will build a fire in the evenings or if it's really cold & nasty out to warm up, it doesn't bother elk!! (grin)

ElkNut1

I'm with Paul on this one, packable rain gear is all I take. If I get cold, I double the merino wool base layer.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby MontBison » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Will you guys throw on a vest or something like that once you get to your spot in the morning if your not carrying a jacket?
MontBison

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Nope! I do not carry anything extra other than my rain gear as far as clothes go, the waterproof/windproof jacket will warm me up if need be! I'm mostly talking running & gunning here! If sitting a ground blind or treestand hunting & the weathers is cool or inclement then I'd prepare accordingly for the sit! I always have gloves in my pockets of cargo style pants. I would also consider heat packets in my boots if it got real bad & they only weigh about one ounce!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dreamingbig » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I have a Kuiu guide jacket for the 90% of the weather and lightweight raingear outershell for the real wet times. I layer with merino wool and a vest underneathe. A Kuiu guide jacket isn't that heavy.
dreamingbig

Got Jacket?

Postby slim9300 » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 9]

dreamingbig wrote:I have a Kuiu guide jacket for the 90% of the weather and lightweight raingear outershell for the real wet times. I layer with merino wool and a vest underneathe. A Kuiu guide jacket isn't that heavy.

I don't see any reason to bring both the Chugach jacket and the Guide jacket on a September backpacking hunt. I'm guessing you may be a rifle hunter?

For a 10 day Sept. backpacking hunt I take very little extra clothing. This year I will walk in, in my Kuiu Attack pants and lightweight 1/4 zip merino shirt. I will have the medium weight and a spare lightweight merino shirt in my pack along with the light weight long underwear bottoms, 2 extra pairs of socks, and the Chugach rain gear. Unless I decide to bring my Spindrift jacket, that's it. If it gets nasty and snows a foot, I just put everything on and I'm very warm.

Since we have 2 treestands about 6ish miles back on a perfect wallow, I am thinking about bringing a light insulating layer (Spindrift jacket) on the next trip. Last time I only had the patience to sit for one day but I was pretty cold when the sun wasn't on me and it wasn't fun. :) I might just suck up the extra 13.5 ounces this year and be warm.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby dreamingbig » 07 01, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Slim- not a rifle hunter. Those tree stands get cold so I am bringing both. As you know aw high country can get nasty. I will cut weight elsewhere.
dreamingbig

Got Jacket?

Postby slim9300 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 11]

dreamingbig wrote:Slim- not a rifle hunter. Those tree stands get cold so I am bringing both. As you know aw high country can get nasty. I will cut weight elsewhere.

I can relate if you do a lot of sitting still and glassing or hunting wallows. You should look into the Spindrift. It's warm and light.
slim9300

Postby dreamingbig » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I have the spindrift too. Here is what I am taking: Merino 185, merion 250, spindrift, guide vest, guide jacket, chugach. I don't want to wear the chugach when it isn't raining and I don't have faith in the spindrift going through heavy brush. I had it last year but I wore it as a base layer or sitting only.
dreamingbig

Got Jacket?

Postby slim9300 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 13]

dreamingbig wrote:I have the spindrift too. Here is what I am taking: Merino 185, merion 250, spindrift, guide vest, guide jacket, chugach. I don't want to wear the chugach when it isn't raining and I don't have faith in the spindrift going through heavy brush. I had it last year but I wore it as a base layer or sitting only.

Holy smokes! You are going to be warm and prepared for the worst.
slim9300

Postby dreamingbig » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Once I get in there for the 11 days, I don't want weather to push me out. I have been in the high country in some nasty rain storms in September that last a couple days. I imagine you have as well! I should weigh the chugach and guide together and compare it to my rivers west jacket.
dreamingbig

Got Jacket?

Postby slim9300 » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 15]

dreamingbig wrote:Once I get in there for the 11 days, I don't want weather to push me out. I have been in the high country in some nasty rain storms in September that last a couple days. I imagine you have as well! I should weigh the chugach and guide together and compare it to my rivers west jacket.

Yep. I have gotten a foot of snow twice in the last 9 seasons in MT. I'm going in for 10 days and I'm not coming out early unless I'm injured or an elk is down. I know how you feel. :)
slim9300

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I hunt the back country, but most days I dont make it near camp after I head out in the morning. Mornings are frosty, or at least in the low 30's.
I dont like to get too warmed up walking, so Im carefull to not heat up,.. most times I need to walk harder to keep warm until after sunup
Last year I wore my Drake waterfowl jacket, A long-sleeve -T and a shortsleeve T
Plastic bag in case of unexpected rain
This year I bought a fleece pullover from Cabelas, Cheap on sale, looks good, seems windproof
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby foxvalley » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Sitka 90% jacket all the time,open pit zips on the way up, light ,breathable,lots of pockets,and drys fast.All sitka,awesome stuff.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Most of the time I would say no. But about the last week of the season, you bet I'll have one. Nothing real heavy though. Just about anything that will break the wind will help to hold in your body heat. Something like that is real easy to stuff in your pack.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Breeze » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 19]

I often carry a Primaloft jacket (in my pack, weather dependent of course) from REI. The sleeves zip off for a vest, which give me some versatility. It's not an outer layer tough enough for hunting. It weighs very little and packs the size of a grapefruit. It is water repellant not waterproof but Primaloft has good heat retention qualities when wet, as does merino/wool. I use it as my pillow when out overnight if not wearing it. "You don't need it till you need it then you'll be glad you have it" That goes for a lot of stuff...LOL. It's pretty easy to think you have enough warm clothing on while moving around, but things can change with temperature drops from being wet (rain, snow, sweat).
Breeze
Breeze

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Paul as summed it well

Others have mentioned if you are on a longer trip, do you bring additional clothing. My clothes layers are mirrored by Paul. The only gear change from a 3 day to a 10 day hunt is food!

I did switch up my rain gear this year. I upgraded from the old Sitka Rain Gear from a few years back to the newer Cloudburst. And have added a Kelvin Lite vest as it is my find it's way in to a mid-late season hunt layer.
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall