Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bike Game Carts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bike Game Carts

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 1]

How many of you guys hunt off of your bikes? Here in Washington we do 75%+ of our elk hunting off of bikes. There was a need for a cart to haul elk 15+ miles out of the woods.

Here are some pictures of some carts I designed and had made by a local machine shop. We are in the works of potentially having this mass produced (checking patents and anything else that may prevent us from moving forward). We are trying to keep the price as low as possible.

The carts are capable of hauling huge weight (you will fail before the cart will or at least the brakes will). We are also looking into trailer brakes but it won't be a cheap option.

What do you guys think? Is there a demand for a cart like this if we can keep the cost down?

PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Re: Bike Game Carts

Postby dotman » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I can't see myself using one but I don't hunt areas with trails that this would work on also. Looks like a quality build and setup. If I was in an area that had tons of loggin roads I would look more into this.
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

PHELPS GAME CALLS wrote:How many of you guys hunt off of your bikes? Here in Washington we do 75%+ of our elk hunting off of bikes. There was a need for a cart to haul elk 15+ miles out of the woods.
Here are some pictures of some carts I designed and had made by a local machine shop. We are in the works of potentially having this mass produced (checking patents and anything else that may prevent us from moving forward). We are trying to keep the price as low as possible.
The carts are capable of hauling huge weight (you will fail before the cart will or at least the brakes will). We are also looking into trailer brakes but it won't be a cheap option. What do you guys think? Is there a demand for a cart like this if we can keep the cost down?

Been looking at getting a cart for a while now. I would certainly be interested if like you said, the cost is reasonable. Looks like you have a swivel feature on the attachment bar.. That's very nice. RJ

Edit.. What is the ballpark weight of your proto type?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Bike Game Carts

Postby iRem » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Jason your on the right path! Maybe look into aluminum to make it lighter and see about an option to attach a handle for pulling the cart!! Just a though! Looks good!
iRem

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

This cart is all tig welded 6061 aluminum. 2"x.75" rectangular 1/8" thick walled. It weighs in sub 20 lbs before the wheels and tires. I used a spherical rod end at the bike seat post.
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby Lefty » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Ive been in the process of creating a ATV trailer for hauling my ATV to the forest, then so desighened to haul camp into the backcountry and game back out.

Maybe some sort of gaurding to prevent gear ( and elk meat) from moving into the wheels. Hooks or eyelets or some sort of a method for tying items down (too much slipping if tying to the main frame.
the sling idea looks great.
How about something for extensions for whole elk.
Maybe an adapter handles for non- bike use
A more of a multi use trailer
Also I don know the width but but considered best fitting into the 48 and 50 inch ATV trail ( so maybe around 40-44 inches)
also consider a breakdown so it can be shipped cheaper
I would radius the trailer to bike bar so it looks a bit more refined
I dont think there will be much of a market,.. but certianly a nitche market
Looks good so far
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby shorthair15 » 07 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

hi jason i would be interested in the cart as i hunt sw washington off alot of the logging roads was asking my local archery shop about a cart the other day.
shorthair15

First Name: scott
Last Name: dyer

Postby foxvalley » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 8]

We have to motorcycle (no atvs) 5 miles down to our camp with an 80lb backpack on,I sure would be interested if you could adapt the hitch for a dirt bike.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby cnelk » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 9]

The OTC areas I hunt are laced with closed logging roads.

This is the cart I made - cost ~ $75 for materials.
You can push or pull it.
I also designed it to be able to strap the handles to my frame pack so one guy can pull it hands free

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Blackhorn » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Looks great. However, it is hard to beat the kidie cart thing when you can find them on craigslist for around 50 bucks, they are lightweight, have rain covers, and break down to become flat. So, it might be a hard sell. I don't know? With the right marketing and what not you might be able to sell a few.
Blackhorn

Postby crazyaboutelk » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Here is a bike trailer I just built. This one is bolted together for the most part because I do not have a tig welder nor do I have the money to pay someone to tig it. It weighs just over 20 lbs without the wheels. I have not had it in the mountains yet, but it does create with over 180 lbs here around town. If you folks have any suggestions, let me know.
Attachments
bike-trailer.jpg
bike-trailer.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 10326 times
crazyaboutelk

First Name: Gabe
Last Name: Jo

Postby wideangle » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 12]

http://www.curlybrace.com/words/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/bob_yak.jpg

I have seen quite a few of the bob trailers in use in Oregon for duck and big game hunting.
They are expensive but are very well made.
Estimated carry weight of these trailers is 75 pounds.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby otcWill » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 13]

These things are so cool! I only wish there was somewhere in Colorado that they'd work!
otcWill

Postby Indian Summer » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Could be very usefull on gated roads. I'd pass on trails.

0ne thing that caught my eye......

When you look at motorcycle trailers, like all others the hitch is down low. It seems that having the hitch up so high could make driving more difficult than if you had a pivot point coming off of the lower frame or rear axle.

With the high attachment point, If you made a sharp turn the trailer would be pushing the top off of your center of balance. ??? Especially with no trailer brakes. A seriously heavy load and a steep down hill might be too much for bicycle brakes too.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Bike Game Carts

Postby slim9300 » 01 20, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Looks good Jason. I wish there was an easy way to make the cart more packable, like quick releases on the wheels and a folding trailer arm. Other than that, I really like your cart. Most of the time mine is a little bulky, but it's all I have.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358725339.264473.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358725339.264473.jpg (116.63 KiB) Viewed 10296 times
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics