Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Mid Late Sept Clothing!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Mid Late Sept Clothing!

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Guys, yes I moved this Topic here! Thanks!

Post a reply
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Mid late sept clothing

Postby Broken arrow » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:46 pm
Ok am I good to go with what I have for a mid to late sept Colorado bowhunt?
First lite base layer top bottoms
2 syntethtic boxers
2 sets liner socks
2 sets medium hiker smart wool socks
1 pair heavy wool socks
Merino light beanie & a fleece beanie
Springer vest
Core 4 element pants or cabelas guide series? (have both but don't plan to take both)
Labrador sweater
Cheap Walmart cotton gloves
Still need rain jacket. (that can double as a jacket if it's real cold)
Almost forgot my Otto gaiters and Lowe renegades
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Mid Late Sept Clothing!

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Re: Mid late sept clothing

Postby Goneelkn » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:22 pm
Plan for anything from 10 to 80 degrees. Whatever you feel comfortable in, and depends on how you will be hunting, stand or stalk. And how far in your going. I spend the whole season in CO, and i've seen any weather you can imagine.
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Re: Mid late sept clothing

Postby HurricaneHuge » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:09 pm
Since you're already using a lot of First Lite, I'm gonna ask if you've thought about the Red Deserts for underwear. Merino for regular underwear has outshined any synthetic I've ever used. Keeps that funk down, and a rather fresh feeling after a few days might I add.
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Broken arrow » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Any suggestions on an outer layer that's both water proof and breathable don't really want to carry both. I'll be hiking in around 4 miles and then bivy/ base camping from there depending on hunting pressure/ elk sign.
If I can afford to up grade the boxer I will but am reaching my budget limits. Might have to wait till next year.
Broken arrow

Postby MontBison » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I'd also be curious to hear what everyones wearing for a waterproof breathable shell. Btw I sent you a PM broken arrow.
MontBison

Postby Lefty » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I bought Cabelas Ingenius socks just for archery elk and put them to the test Friday and Saturday. Even after getting wet from snow and walking thru water,, then wore them 8 more hours in low elavation heat, no smelll
I also bought some hot weather lightweight pants and a lightweight fleese jacket. instead of cotton I bought cheapo fleese gloves and beanie. I also carry a synthetic balaclava ( sp?)
I take my old saddle cloth raingear,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Mid Late Sept Clothing!

Postby Buckriser » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 7]

On these hunts I usually pack too much stuff. It could be hot or cold, rain or snow. Last thing you want is to be uncomfortable or miserable.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Broken arrow » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Update got 2 pair of merino boxers on the way. Thinking either a core 4 element jacket, kuiu guide jacket, or one of the sika jackets for a cold weather/ rain jacket?
Broken arrow

Mid Late Sept Clothing!

Postby iRem » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 9]

When you are trying to pack light one of my go to items that I need to make room for is 'Pack-a-Way' rain jacket and pants! I wear North Face gear, light weight, waterproof and breathable, noisy but you'll dry and you can stay out longer! Living in Washington you always have to be prepared as you can never or the Meteorologist can never predict the weather. I'm very big on layering up on what ever adventure I'm on!
iRem

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Hope you put the Merino boxers to the test Broken Arrow. I love Merino. Just got most of my First Lite gear in yesterday. So far, wearing it around for two days, I love it. I tested base layers of Merino from Kuiu last year, and immediately changed my outlook on clothing for hunting.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Broken arrow » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 11]

You bet I did! Put a pair on and went and sweated in 100 degree heat and they work awesome! Way better than synthetics!
Broken arrow

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Do that a few days in a row and then (and I know I'm gonna catch some for this), smell it! Then do the same thing to your synthetics after 1 day. Unbelievable the difference the material makes. Also, doesn't get that grimey feel to it and feels "fresher" over longer periods of time, if that makes sense.
HurricaneHuge

Postby foxvalley » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Sounds like merino is the way to go. I'm going to try a couple pair of boxers, thanks you guys. FirstLite?
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Broken arrow » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 14]

First lite core4 there are a couple more brands out there just can't remember. Lol
I got mine from camofire.com two pair for 37 shipped reg price 39 a pair!!! :o
Broken arrow

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I just tried the First Lite the past few days. It's been great for day to day stuff. I used a thinner pair by Smartwool for the last half of winter and those were great, but really thin and wore out pretty quick. Gonna be testing more and more of the First Lite gear as well this next month. So far I've also enjoyed the Kanab Pants.
HurricaneHuge

Postby outdoordan » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 16]

If you are looking for the best in merino wool, first lite is the stuff. I recommend the Llano or Chama coupled with the kanab and red desert briefs for september. For a great deal go to:http://www.hunthardcore1.com

In the store enter code FL1 for 15% off!
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Hey guys & gals, I've picked up several things from Outdoor Dan, he is a great guy & a straight shooter, if you are in need of any gear give him a try, with all the dealings I've had with him I can tell he's a stand up guy & will offer his services after the sale, I'm glad he's a Sponsor here, he's definitely one of the good guys! I've picked up several of the Eberlestock X2 Packs from Dan, I still use the 1st one I got form him today on my elk hunts!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby outdoordan » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Thanks Paul! I hope I can be an add something to the dialogue here, and can't wait for the season to start!
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred