Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Crap. My GPS broke!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Crap. My GPS broke!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Ah ha, it's not what you think ;) In our age being ever so dependent on electronic gadgets, are you 100% dependent on your GPS to get to to your hunting area, and more importantly, get you back to either camp or any type of civilization (skid road, forest service trail, etc.) if you're GPS stops functioning (malfunctions, batteries die, etc.). Do you use your GPS constantly to mark your path in/out or merely occasionally to mark a wallow, a log to crawl across a stream, a hard to find/obscure finger ridge that has been torn to hell by a bull, the kill site, or a rendevous point to meet up after you've split up with your partner to check out two different draws. Curious as how much you cats rely on your device to conduct land navigation in the elk woods. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Crap. My GPS broke!

Postby Freebird134 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I just use it for convenience. I mark stuff on it like the truck, useful spots, etc, but they are also on my map. I also like that the GPS can give me info like how far it is from point A to Point B, without me having to bust out a ruler on the map. If I lost or broke my rangefinder, I'd be mad but I wouldn't be lost.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby westaner » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I love the ones with satellite images, can tell easy routes and hidden logging roads, clear cuts. Saves a lot of time trying find your downed elk again! ;)
I've been using my Droid for the past two seasons, but battery wont last long using GPS and so I rely more on just compass. Never been lost, just turned round! :?
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby dotman » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

And here I was going to tell you to buy a new map and compass!
dotman

Postby dotman » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

On a serious note the gps is a handy tool but should not be relied on. Before anyone heads out they should at a minimum have basic navigation skills with their map and compass. We don't need to hear any stories on people being hauled off the mountain. I really like my gps because I hunt next to private land and it is a quick tool to check my position but I do not rely on it, actually this will be my first year using it, the private property issue is one of the main reasons, plus it is pretty handy for tracking my routes, way points wtc for a later upload onto my pc.

Oh and all my treestands and cameras locations are stored in it now.
dotman

Crap. My GPS broke!

Postby slim9300 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

If you don't have a decent compass and the ability to read a map, there's a problem in my opinion. A gps is a nice tool but being 100% dependent on it for navigation is a death wish. Just my .02
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 7]

OK, you're 2.5 miles away from camp and have chased a screamer's bugle way, way down into a deep/dark basin (they're all deep and dark, aren't they :)..) full of false draws, intersecting streams at the bottoms of steep mini draws choked with 10 foot alder, and criss-crossing finger ridges.. It's now getting dark and your GPS dies. Oh yeah, the changing winds and sky have signaled a "weather adjustment" all afternoon but you didn't notice because of "old nasty" bellowing at you and taking you farther away from the ridge top you were hunting...Then, the heavens open up with borderline freezing rain and you're in your base layers with nothing much more on. Damn it, you meant to throw you rain gear in your day pack at base but didn't. Do you have the ability, knowledge, and practice doing so .. to somewhat calmly pull out your compass and map and head back to your camp without incident? I'd venture a guess to say many don't. Basic land navigation, terrain association, converting grid to magnetic/magnetic to grid using the map declination diagram, land navigation skills are absolutely essential in the elk woods. I'm not trying to be the doom and gloom guy here but if you're solely relying on an electronic device to traverse through the mountains, you may wish to rethink your strategy if you rely soley on a GPS or software on your smart phone.. RJ

Thanks for chiming in guys... I see that some of you know (probably from experience) that relying solely on a GPS is not the way to fly.. A GPS is cool and has it's place, but should not be your primary method of traversing in the mountains.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Crap. My GPS broke!

Postby slim9300 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Phantom16 wrote:OK, you're 2.5 miles away from camp and have chased a screamer's bugle way, way down into a deep/dark basin (they're all deep and dark, aren't they :)..) full of false draws, intersecting streams at the bottoms of steep mini draws choked with 10 foot alder, and criss-crossing finger ridges.. It's now getting dark and your GPS dies. Oh yeah, the changing winds and sky have signaled a "weather adjustment" all afternoon but you didn't notice because of "old nasty" bellowing at you and taking you farther away from the ridge top you were hunting...Then, the heavens open up with borderline freezing rain and you're in your base layers with nothing much more on. Damn it, you meant to throw you rain gear in your day pack at base but didn't. Do you have the ability, knowledge, and practice doing so .. to somewhat calmly pull out your compass and map and head back to your camp without incident? I'd venture a guess to say many don't. Basic land navigation, terrain association, converting grid to magnetic/magnetic to grid using the map declination diagram, land navigation skills are absolutely essential in the elk woods. I'm not trying to be the doom and gloom guy here but if you're solely relying on an elecronic device to traverse through the mountains, you may wish to rethink your strategy if you rely soley on a GPS or software on your smart phone.. RJ

Thanks for chiming in guys... I see that some of you know (probably from experience) that relying solely on a GPS is not the way to fly.. A GPS is cool and has it's place, but should not be your primary method of traversing in the mountains.

This is why hunters need to pay more attention to their surroundings. Following the elk blindly is crazy (even though I have been there). It takes almost no effort to keep track of your position as you move if you can read a map. A map should always be accessible or if you are using your GPS, keeping track of your position on its topo map is fine too. The topo map on your gps will obviously look identical to your paper version. The point is know where you are from the beginning to the end and then finding your way back without a gps is cake.
slim9300

Postby tracker » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I like to mark waypoints at home using Maptech and load them onto my gps. This allows me to go to spots that look promising and know how far away they are and if it's late day I have an idea as to how long it might take me to get there. Once there I always feel that I can get out without the GPS because as well as loading them onto my gps I also print the maps and use them as references if needed. But if my gps is working I hunt until dark and have no fear in getting back to where I want. Makes life a lot easier.
tracker

Postby horseshoe » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 10]

the gps is now my primary way to navigate in the woods , mountains and waters. the compass and paper maps are back-ups. i can go to a new area and head for a destination (intended campsite, glassing spot, bloodtrail, truck, etc.) and see my progress the entire way. navigate around obstructions and danger and with nary a wasted step. mark wallows, rubs and bedding areas along the way and when its time to find camp in the middle of the nite, i flip on the gps and go. i dont have to rely on landmarks i now cannot see. using a good gps set-up can actually keep you safer!

i always keep it in map mode with the track log on at all times. lets my see where i was and where i'm headed. i can backtrack or avoid it. it gives me an instant picture of a bloodtrail track. shows the shortest or easiest way to pack out that full load of meat! i cant imagine what i'm missing without satellite images!

now, i'm old enough to have learned navigation in stages...compass and known roads and a starting point....then add good topo maps...then add a gps without built in maps and now you can have the world in your pocket! i would never give it up!

but for those who are younger, as the others have stated, compass navigation may say your life! i have had a complete electronic meltdown, every battery in every unit i had went dead after a morning hunt and all the spares were in the truck that just drove out of sight! i have been in weather that was too thick for the gps to lock on a signal. i have dropped a unit and almost lost it. friends have had brand new units malfunction. many things can and will go wrong. always carry a compass and know how to use it!
horseshoe

Postby cnelk » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I use mine to mark where I last left the unit!!!! :)

In all seriousness, I have hunted my areas for 23 years. I use mine to mark new wallows, trails and such.

Last year I set a tree stand in a spot that I couldnt find it without my GPS! EVERYTIME!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby POk3s » 07 04, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I don't ever use one. My dad has one that I carried around last year for a few days because he knew where I was going was nuts :D .

The only time I got it out was to see just how far I was away from camp as the crow flies. Haven't ever owned one or used one and rarely do I have a map. I just know my surroundings and have a compass on my phone. I may not know exactly where I am at all times but I know if I get to "that ridge" I'm 2 miles west of camp and if I get to "that ridge over there" I'm 4 miles south of the truck. The only time I get screwed up is in the dark going in. Sometimes I end up a little bit too far as I don't like to underestimate where I'm headed. A compass is really all I need in my elk area.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I use mine in a similar fashion as most here! My batteries will last two years in the unit I use, lithium batteries. I rarely ever walk with it on, although on occasion I should have!! (grin) I would not even think of leaving my GPS Topo Map & Compass behind. Those 3 are money, you will never get turned around or lost with them! I will be putting together a Navigation Tutorial here on how we use them & their effectiveness, it may surprise some! Yes, there is country that's easily navigated & little direction is necessary but this is rare in many elk hunting areas, being prepared is a mind saver & can keep you safe & return safely! I only purchase items like headlamp, flashlight, GPS that all have same batteries so if in a pinh I can swap any out for the other plus I do carry a few spares.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I never really used my gps much and have hunted some big deep woods in northern wisconsin and never got lost with my maps and compass. I will use my gps more in colorado this year but know I dont need it.
Jahnke76

Postby dreamingbig » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Phantom16 wrote:Damn it, you meant to throw you rain gear in your day pack at base but didn't.

I triple check to make sure my rain gear is with me at all times in the elk woods and I don't leave the truck without a map and compass of the area I am hunting.

Mainly use GPS to mark "elky" things (wallows, travel corridors, kill sites, sightings, etc) for easier navigation back to them in the future.
dreamingbig

Postby bowpackerrob » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I always carry a map and compass along with my GPS. I use the GPS to mark my mule, base camp, prominent elk sign in relation to my map so I can make sure I can find it again. The GPS is a great asset but it is always a good backup to know how to use a map and compass.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby elkaholic » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I use the GPS to mark wallows, trails, downed game, ect but prefer to have a compass and map as a backup. Being "terrain savy" is a must. Always aware of your surroundings and taking note of how key landmarks set in correlation to where you are going and where you came from.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Use the GPS to mark points on the way in and during the hunt and sometimes notes on the way out! It's handy at night if you are heading back to your camp or trailhead in the dark.

Not to mention that with a good map will assist you keeping you in your hunting unit and or off private lands, like the ones from Hunting GPS Maps. I am a believer in these maps, they are the only maps that make it on my GPS. Our customers have been happy with them, as they keep coming back to purchase other states.
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 19]

I know my area well. if a fog moved in I would know where I was. but I also know I may not be able to walk a straight line out.

This year Im GPS ing specific locations so a friend can find me if I get into trouble Maybe even a phone since we have reception now on the south facing and high spots
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby tracker12 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I won't leave camp without a GPS. One of the best inventions out there. I shot a cow elk a few years ago in an area I had never been to before late in the day. It was way dark buy the time I got back to start out the pack out. I had set the cordinates in the GPS and was using it to guide my way back to the kill. I was convinced the unit was bad as it lead me to the elk convince the lek was a 100 yards more to the left. I was about to say the hell with it and go in the birection where I thought my cow was down when I almost tripped over her. Another time I was iin NV on a Mountain called Bald MNT. Nothing on it but sage and grass. I had went up for a quick evening hunt when a storm blew in raining hail and dropping the temps 20 degrees. The fog blew in so bad I could not see 20 feet in front of me. I stared off the MNT thinking I knew where I was going but something didn't feel right. Pulle out the compass and I was going east instead of west. GPS got me to the car safely. If I would have gone off the MNT east I would have beem 20 miles ffrom the car. Garmin 62s in my pack these days.
tracker12

Postby pointysticks » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 21]

i'll be the first to admit..my inner compass is retarded..

i get lost. i would be a much better hunter, if i had copious amounts of confidence in the backwoods. when my hunting buddies say, "you go this way, i'll go this way..meet there/here"..i get anxious. i carry a compass and a GPS. my brother bought me a Rino, and it opened up hunting..i can ping his location. i am learning the other functions..the radio is amazing. clear, great range. it was a game changer.

having said that, i am getting pretty good at maps. hard to get lost in areas criss crossed with roads.

i've been lost twice..both times, i never panicked. i sat down, thought it out, and simply walked out.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l