Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Preseason Testing

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Preseason Testing

Postby dotman » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So this weekend I plan to camp outin my backyard and do a quick systems check. How many of you do this, now if you live in the mountains and camp out a bunch you test it each time but for us flat landers I was wondering how many of you actually test out your gear more then just a quick setup?

I always do this because with a quick once over I may miss something small that doean't really reveal itself until actual usage, so I camp out and sleep in my backyard. I'll cook dinner and breakfast on my stove and give that all a good testing.
dotman

Re: Preseason Testing

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Sweet! Let us know your results & what the gear is you're testing! I'd sure like to hear about it! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 3]

dotman wrote:So this weekend I plan to camp outin my backyard and do a quick systems check. How many of you do this, now if you live in the mountains and camp out a bunch you test it each time but for us flat landers I was wondering how many of you actually test out your gear more then just a quick setup?

I always do this because with a quick once over I may miss something small that doean't really reveal itself until actual usage, so I camp out and sleep in my backyard. I'll cook dinner and breakfast on my stove and give that all a good testing.

Flatlander? You may be now but I know where you came from :) Not a bad idea.. a complete gear set up/shake out..
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkmtngear » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Good idea, dotman! Seems like I'm always forgetting some little B.S. thing or another.....I need to solidify my hunt list! My lawn sprinklers come on at 1AM....that would be a good test for the rain fly on my BA FlyCreek UL2

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby dotman » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I'll be testing everything new and old. Main new item will be the kifaru super tarp which I will also seam seal. Ihave found that these little shake ups do help. Now that I have a toddlwr my getting out and really roughing it trips only happen from Aug - Jan so I use the backyard to my advantage. I'll get up and make breakfast and coffee, pack up my pack and do an 8 mile hike.
dotman

Postby Freebird134 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I did my first trial run weeks ago when it was still cold. Ok, maybe it was a couple months ago. It was one of the last nights we had down near freezing. Tossed up the tent, inflated the Neoair and crawled in my bag. About 2am I was flat on the ground--the Neoair got a leak! THIS is why you have to do some preseason testing!!! :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby dotman » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Freebird134 wrote:I did my first trial run weeks ago when it was still cold. Ok, maybe it was a couple months ago. It was one of the last nights we had down near freezing. Tossed up the tent, inflated the Neoair and crawled in my bag. About 2am I was flat on the ground--the Neoair got a leak! THIS is why you have to do some preseason testing!!! :)

Exactly.... this kind of testing does reveal something everytime I do it.
dotman

Postby elkohalic » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 8]

great idea
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 9]

So, I have it on good authority that Dotman has abandoned his creature comforts of the house and has set up his backcountry gear in his rural KC back yard..
What do you think he's doing right now?

1. Sawing logs, dreaming about the CO bull he's gonna put down.
2. Responding to Mrs. Dotman, informing him from the window that he's certifiably looney with "honey, I'm doing a scientific experiment.. I'll be in for breakfast"...
3. He's snuck in and is watching the most recent episode of his DVR'ed Mountain Men.
4. He's snuck in and is gnarling on a frozen pizza.
5. He's wondering if RJ does anything else except lurk around on elk forums.

RJ
WapitiTalk1

Preseason Testing

Postby Freebird134 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 10]

How did it go?
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Broken arrow » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I actually set up the tent one evening as they were predicting heavy rain and wind. woke up dry as a bone! Would hate to be miles from nowhere wet and cold cause I didnt try out my gear first.
Broken arrow

Postby dotman » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I MADE IT BACK ALIVE! I was fast asleep to be woken by a racoon draging me out of my tarp. Only thing that saved my life was my trusty 44 mag. That night i built a fire to stay warm and hopefully keep any other racoons at bay. After my morning breakfast I pavked up to hike out of the wilds back home and realized in all the midnight madness my gps was crushed. Crap! No map or compass, cell phone was dead, oh wait I have a spot. I turn the spot on only for it to never power up. How would I get home! Well after two days of stumbling around I finally made it out of the backyard to the house. :)

though the gear worked flawlessly, no issues at all. It was the perfect night. The kifaru supertarp worked great, I there could be a good chance a snake might join me since I have a few resident black snakes I keep around but nope nothing joined me that i'm aware of. All the gear is ready for next weeks scouting trip in CO. Hopefully they get some rain soon, currently I think even gas stoves are now banned in the area i'm going.
dotman

Postby wideangle » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I set up my wall tent in the yard to check for anything I missed before I put it away last season.
Replaced two grommets and replaced a few ropes.
Packed and sorted everthing else like stakes and wire for bracing wood stove chimmney.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 14]

dotman wrote:I MADE IT BACK ALIVE! I was fast asleep to be woken by a racoon draging me out of my tarp. Only thing that saved my life was my trusty 44 mag. That night i built a fire to stay warm and hopefully keep any other racoons at bay. After my morning breakfast I packed up to hike out of the wilds back home and realized in all the midnight madness my gps was crushed. Crap! No map or compass, cell phone was dead, oh wait I have a spot. I turn the spot on only for it to never power up. How would I get home! Well after two days of stumbling around I finally made it out of the backyard to the house. :)

though the gear worked flawlessly, no issues at all. It was the perfect night. The kifaru supertarp worked great, I there could be a good chance a snake might join me since I have a few resident black snakes I keep around but nope nothing joined me that i'm aware of. All the gear is ready for next weeks scouting trip in CO. Hopefully they get some rain soon, currently I think even gas stoves are now banned in the area i'm going.

Huge mistakes made here Tim! If you would have put some ears of corn outside your tarp, that bull racoon wouldn't have made it to your tarp to drag you out of the tent by your Batman PJs like you were a cooked crawfish on a stick at a cajun wedding ceremony.... and, you wouldn't have had to waste three precious rounds of HSM 305 grain Racoon loads on him from your newly aquired pistol. Remember, when you're hunting in bear country this fall..... lay a few bacon strips on the top of your Kifaru. This will hold the bear's attention while you throw the timber rattler out of your bag (the one that slipped in under the "tarp" you're sleeping under) giving you just enough time to crawl out and run down the trail screaming.... RJ :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby dotman » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Haha, ah I needed a good laugh. Well plans have changed no scouting trip next week. We just accepted an offer on our property/house so i'll be home for the next 30 days till closing is over. Don't worry though, we decided no rush to jump into the next house till after hunting season.
dotman