Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting Packs

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting Packs

Postby Hornhunter » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

What is everyone using packwise this season ? I am running a hornhunter full curl system great all around pack
Hornhunter

Re: Elk Hunting Packs

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Eberlestock X2 user here! I like the lower profile & its rugged build, it's over 2200" & can pack out elk quarters no problem even with your pack loaded for all day hunts! I've used a few different ones over the years & this pack fits the bill very well!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby planebow » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I really like my X2, I only hunt from a base camp. As a day pack its hard to beat
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 4]

First year using an Eberlestock BW. I plan on packing camp in, and, packing out both a WA and an ID elk with it :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkmtngear » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I still hunt in a "modular" sense...I strap my Badlands Superday to my Cabela's Alaskan Pack Frame, and leave the frame in the spike camp. If I'm packing meat, I just want the frame and meat, and if I'm hunting, I just want a light daypack, so I can regulate it that way.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby stringunner » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 6]

just bought an x2 this week. hoping it is going to work for me.
stringunner

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Another vote on the X2. I used Bandlands for years and switched last season. The X2 is great for day or bivy hunts.

Also, another vote on elkmtngear's pack idea. I do something similar if I'm spike camping longer than two days.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Brad Peterson » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Currently have a sitka flash 20 that im using for a day pack. Used badlands and a crooked horn previously, badlands didnt quite fit me right wasnt a huge fan. Crooked horn pack was the old style and I liked it but I like the sitka better
Brad Peterson

Postby sockeye » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Got a J-34 a couple years ago and absolutly love it.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby eltaco » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I'm using my sitka flash 20 pack again this year. Big fan of this pack! Fits me great and carries well. Used to be fairly priced, too...
eltaco

Postby Freebird134 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I previously used the Eberlestock Blue Widow. I like using products from Idaho companies when I can (Elknut, BowJax, Eberlestock, etc). The Blue Widow has a great design and holds gear really well, but it just fit me like crap. Looking back at pictures, every one shows that pack just hanging off my shoulders, pulling me back. The loadlifters just didn't do their job.

My partner and I are both taking the Badlands Ox this year. We both liked them, but the price tag was just ridiculous. But when we found them for $280 shipped, we were sold! The curved, external frame really keeps the load close to my back comfortably, even with pretty heavy loads. And it's made to haul meat--with or without the pack attached. It's not perfect, but on my budget I think it was my best choice.

(Edit: I just wanted to add that this is for a 9-10 night bivy style hunt. Not really a dapack!)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Good stuff guys!! Nice variety of Packs in use! That's what I like to see, sort of like broadheads, lots of different ones!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby HurricaneHuge » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 13]

What are guys thoughts regarding the X2 on men with bigger frames? Anybody meet the qualifications and use one? It just feels small on me. I know I can adjust so that it will ride will, but it almost seems too compact on me. It's my current 1st choice, but I'm not sure if the I'll suffer in comfort because of the dimensions on me.
HurricaneHuge

Postby 6t4nova » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I'm going to be using a Kifaru DT1 this year. Just ordered it last week
6t4nova

Postby dotman » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I had an Eberlestock BW last year, I have since upgraded to a Kifaru KU5200. I do not plan on having a designated camp unless I really get into great numbers, so a sub 3lb pack that can carry 100lbs but compress down nicely was what I wanted. I hope to be nomadic with my camp always on my back this year, this way I can just go and not have to go back anywhere, unless I have meat. I'll be doing 5 days stints and have gotten my total pack weight down to 38.43lbs including my spotter and tripod.
dotman

Postby buglmin » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I dont like a lot of daypacks, dont like how they ride on a small framed person...lennis from crooked horn made me a smaller pack a few years ago, but dont really like it. I use a lot of lumbar packs, like packs to sit low on my back. Im waiting for a Tenzing lumbar pack now, should be here any day now. Bison gear packs are nice, but way over priced from what you get...plus they are a heavy pack even when they are empty. The problem with using big day packs is most guys seem to carry more then they need, simply cause they have the room...when it comes time to pack animals out, the horses are just a phone call away...
buglmin

Postby Elksniper1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Used the Kuiu 6000 last year and loved it. I have always packed a smaller crooked horn pack into camp and after hunting with this pack I packed the day pack back to truck when we resuplied food and used that pack as a day pack
Elksniper1

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Hurricane, we have several of the X2 packs but none of us are over 5'9" -- If you are a big tall guy it may not fit you the same so I'd hate to recommend it & then see you don't like it! How big a guy are you?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby HurricaneHuge » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 19]

I'm a broad 6'1". If I weren't as big across the shoulders I think the 6'1" wouldn't be as big of a deal, but the combination has me wondering. I can certainly add weight to an X2 before I pick one up to test it, that won't be an issue. And maybe it will work fine like that. I'm not figuring on venturing out on day hunts with a ton of weight anyways, just thought it felt short on me. And the side pockets are useless to me when I'm wearing the pack, just too far on the side to get at while the pack is on.
HurricaneHuge

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Yes, as big as you are it's probably best to try on a pack first aside from a mail order type purchase! You may need one more custom built for you! Try a few on & see!

I'd be interested to hear what you settle on as I've seen this question before by big guys, I've wondered what did end up working for them?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby HurricaneHuge » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 21]

I'll be sure to keep you posted. The X2 lays out fantastic for a day pack, and even for a couple day stint would have plenty of room for what I need. But like I said, not sure how it will carry with weight on me. My father is 6'6", and I tried to convince him on the X2 because he'll never put a Blue Widow to proper use, but to no avail! Just didn't work for him. I suppose I was being somewhat selfish in that if he got that and I got a Blue Widow I would have had access to both as I needed :mrgreen: Anyways, for what I'm doing this year, the X2 fits the bill as long as it can fit me.
HurricaneHuge

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Here's a couple of photos of the X2 on us! The guy wearing black on the right is wearing the X2 -- The guy on far left is wearing the a blue widow!

The guy in the middle is 6' & 230# - If you'd like I could have him try my X2 on & see what he thinks of it? It's no problem!

ElkNut1
Attachments
Jerry 2010 Bull 11.jpg
Jerry 2010 Bull 11.jpg (191.53 KiB) Viewed 79144 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby HurricaneHuge » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 23]

I'd appreciate that! Mainly because I no experience hauling weight in the mountains or packing elk, so a review from someone who's got experience on how they think it would handle would be fantastic! I appreciate that ElkNut, and I'll be trying to get some weight in one myself today.
HurricaneHuge

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 24]

No sweat, I'll have him try on with 20# in it as that's what my aprx wt. is in it on all day hunts & then we'll put 80# in it & see what he thinks of that too! I'll let you know as soon as we have the results! I'll get a couple photos too so you can see it on him!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 25]

The guy on the left looks like his load lifters are working better for him than the other two fellas. But the young man on the right sure is packing a good looking knife. LOL! Just wait until I send you pictures of the latest one.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Breeze » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Hurricane, I'm a big guy...6'1, 240, 48-50 in chest depending on the season. The X2 has been awesome for me for a day pack and also as an over-nighter for a few days (elk hunting). I love the accessibility to the main side compartments for a water bladder, and the water pump (and etc) without having to dismantle to get at essential items. Compass/maps/gps/first aid/ fit into exterior pockets. My system works like this: Kill kit, survival, and etc goes into main bag- bottom. 'Bear bag' (food) fits in main compartment on top. I keep 'drop-camp' items such as tent/sleep bag/extra clothing in a separate duffel and buckle this to the outside (as if it were a hind quarter). I can, and have hunted with all of that on my back (up to 50#) and it carries well. Of course when I get to a 'camp' spot (or if I want to cache my stuff for a 'stalk') I can easily drop the load, remove the food bag and the pack is quickly in 'day pack' mode. As for hauling meat... I have no idea..cry OL.

Some don't consider the hip belt to be sufficient, but I disagree. If I cinch the pack up tightly to my body with a heavy load it keeps the weight close to my frame and balanced. BTW, I just used the X2 for a 5 day trip into the Boundary Waters and carried a canoe at the same time for one-trip portages. I've had a BL2200 and BLSuper Day packs, and a BL 4000; for me the X2 is more functional and carries better.

As for feeling 'short', I don't think it feels that way with a load, even a small load such as day-pack essentials, but that WAS a consideration when I bought the pack...based on comments of some other big guys.

Good Luck!
Breeze

Postby realunlucky » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 27]

Im 6'4 and dont like the way the x2 rides on my back ive tried it multiple times and just dont like the way it feels. I do love the design of it to bad its built to take a beating
realunlucky

Postby ElkManDan » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 28]

6'4" 210 and I have the Badlands 2200 and it fits me great, I have heard complaints from shorter guys though with this pack. There is plenty of room and I can fit enough in there that I can bivy it for the night if needed. I've packed out quarters with this pack with no issues.
ElkManDan

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 29]

WW, LOL! The problem with the guy on the right is that pack weighed as much as he did!!! (grin) It is possible he didn't have the straps pulled to the top, not sure?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Broken arrow » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 30]

I love my blue widow! Between hiking and treadmilling with 60lbs + in it I took the time to adjust the stays and harness to my liking and anything under 50lbs I can loosen up the shoulder harness to the point it is really only keeping the pack from falling off. The load levelers and waist belt do all the work. I've had 80lbs in it and you know it's there but it was tolerable.
Broken arrow

Postby all4elk » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 31]

I use the badlands 2800 for many years and i have no complaints about it. I just use it as a day pack and first load out with a frame pack waiting in the truck.
all4elk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 32]

Mystery Ranch CrewCab here. And to think of all the money I have wasted over the years on packs. I should have bought this pack years ago!
>>>---WW---->

Postby BnB » 06 26, 2012 •  [Post 33]

Got a X2 last year but didn't get a chance to use it. Hopefully this year. Sometimes I use a big fanny pack for short hunts with a frame pack back in the rig. I'm one of these guy's that pack way to much stuff.
BnB

Elk Hunting Packs

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 34]

I'm 6'3" and have tried the x2, BL2200, MR longbow, Kifaru spike camp, pointman, and G1 siwash as smaller packs. I didn't get shoulder lift with any of them with heavy loads.

I do get shoulder lift with the Kifaru T3. It has 24" stays. It's above the x2's price range by a lot though.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby idahoghost » 06 28, 2012 •  [Post 35]

Just bought the Eberlestock Destroyer. Looked at the BW side by side the it, like the Desroyer slightly better, the access to the main compartment etc. I bought it from Dan Allred at Hunt Hardcore. Dan did a great job of showing me the packs, pluses and minuses of both. I was using a Blacks Creek G7 and may still use it for days hunts depending on how the Eberlestock works out. Dan was great and went out of his way to make sure I was happy. Cudo's to him.
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby dreamingbig » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 36]

I have an x2 that goes to spike camp with me. It used to be strapped to an alaskan frame for heavy load hauling once the elk is down but now it will get its ride to base camp in my Kifaru duplex frame and cargo panel. This new pack is so comfortable and allows me to pack in spike camp, drop it and then use my x2 for my daypack, first load out to camp, and possible 1-2 night bivys. This frame packs 100+ lbs with ease so shouldn't have an issue taking two quarters out at once.
dreamingbig

Postby Deegee » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 37]

Eberlestock Blue Widow
Deegee

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 38]

HuricaneHuge, I did talk with my brother in law Jerry & get him to try on the X2 Pack, Here's two photos of him with it on. He's 6' & 230# He said the pack felt great & he could easily load it with more wt & saw no issues with it! For what it's worth hope it helps!!

ElkNut1
Attachments
DSCN1854.JPG
DSCN1854.JPG (117.01 KiB) Viewed 78865 times
DSCN1853.JPG
DSCN1853.JPG (115.19 KiB) Viewed 78865 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkaholic » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 39]

Using the Badlands 2200 again this year. Haven't had any issues with it yet, 5th season, so if it ain't broke don't fix it right. Although the temptation to try a new one is growing by the year...
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 05, 2012 •  [Post 40]

Looks Great ElkNut! Thanks for checking into that.
HurricaneHuge

Postby Blackhorn » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 41]

Just got a Horn Hunter full curl system and like it alot so far. Went away from my X2 generation 1, just couldn't cut it when loaded with meat. Tried on several packs within my price range and the HH seemed to be the best for me. If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask. I know that there is not alot of info out there for it. P.S. Packfiter.com has them for $289, they were running a promo code "facebookPF" which brought the price to $239, but it does not seem to be working last I checked (might be able to call and get the deal). Even without the code it is the best deal I could find.
Blackhorn

Postby N5J » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 42]

Eberlestock X1...my year round pack! Lots of room/compartments and I really like the compartment for rifle. When bow hunting I usually put my water in the rifle compartment to free up room for something else. :D

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby Flintlocker » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 43]

RockChucker30 wrote:I'm 6'3" and have tried the x2, BL2200, MR longbow, Kifaru spike camp, pointman, and G1 siwash as smaller packs. I didn't get shoulder lift with any of them with heavy loads.

I do get shoulder lift with the Kifaru T3. It has 24" stays. It's above the x2's price range by a lot though.

Someone please explain "shoulder lift" for me. Thanks
Flintlocker

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Plank

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 44]

Shoulder lift is generally needed when your pack takes on wt. If you are 30# or less you can leave the shoulder strap adjustment fairly loose for comfort. As the weight increases you want to pull those straps tighter which raises the load higher & easier to manage the heavier loads. You do not want 75# plus riding near your butt or it will feel like the weight is pulling you down or you have excessive shoulder strap wt. Lift the weight up higher & on your hips & you will find the weight is more manageable to carry longer distances. Of course there is too high as well, that feeling is like the additional weight is leaning or pushing you forward so you are constantly fighting it back. You want to avoid both possible issues. It's easily done with a bit of adjustment & practice with your specific pack! ----- I am able to do this with X2.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ctdad » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 45]

I'm trying the badlands sacrifice this year. I did a four mile hike with 45 lbs yesterday and this pack really fits me well. It is light enough to serve as both a day pack and will carry enough gear for spike camp as well (I know because I loaded my spike camp in it yesterday). I also have a badlands ultra day pack that I love as a day pack but it is so small, there is just no way to pack out much of any meat with it so I bought the sacrifice this year.
ctdad

Postby Flintlocker » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 46]

So shoulder lift is a good thing then when packing some weight.
I am 6'3" as well and RochChuckar seems to have ruled out some backs, due to lack of shoulder lift, for someone my size.

ElkNut1 wrote:Shoulder lift is generally needed when your pack takes on wt. If you are 30# or less you can leave the shoulder strap adjustment fairly loose for comfort. As the weight increases you want to pull those straps tighter which raises the load higher & easier to manage the heavier loads. You do not want 75# plus riding near your butt or it will feel like the weight is pulling you down or you have excessive shoulder strap wt. Lift the weight up higher & on your hips & you will find the weight is more manageable to carry longer distances. Of course there is too high as well, that feeling is like the additional weight is leaning or pushing you forward so you are constantly fighting it back. You want to avoid both possible issues. It's easily done with a bit of adjustment & practice with your specific pack! ----- I am able to do this with X2.

ElkNut1
Flintlocker

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Plank

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 47]

Actually, what you guys are talking about is Load Lifters, not Shoulder Lifters. The purpose of the Load Lifter is to pull the top of the load in closer to your back ,thus taking some of the weight off your shoulders.

Take a look at post #22 above. The guy on the left has a pack that clearly shows the load lifters and how they work. He will make the trip out much easier than the other two guys. They have the load lifter straps on their packs but they act more as load stabilizers rather than actual lifters. Post #38 shows an X-2 pack. Again there is no load lifting but only stabilizing.

In order for a pack to have lifting qualities, the load lifter strabs have to attach above the shoulder heigth at no more than a 30-45 degree angle.

Personally, I use a Mystery Ranch Crewcab Pack. Many guys say it has load stabilizers instead of load lifters. And for the taller guys, that is true. However, I'm pretty short at 5'6" so I get plenty of lift out of the lifters. Also there is a guy out in either Wa. or Or. that makes an extention that converts the pack into a true load lifter.

I am no authority on the subject. I'm just repeating what several backpacking experts have explained what the purpose and fit of load lifters really is.
>>>---WW---->

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 11, 2012 •  [Post 48]

Backcountry hunts, I will sporting my Mystery Ranch Crew Cab loaded for multi-day hunts!

For day hunts, I will use my Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer
Attachments
Elk-Hunt-2011.jpg
Mystery Ranch Crew Cab loaded for 10 days
Elk-Hunt-2011.jpg (18.62 KiB) Viewed 78727 times
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 49]

Badlands Ox for me on anything over a 3 night stay, other than that I love the 2200.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby outdoordan » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 50]

Load lifters, as www stated, need to have the attachment to the frame or pack higher than your shoulder level. In other words, the pack MUST come above the shoulder level. The angle isn't as important as how high above the shoulder it is (which will increase the angle). Pulling on the load lifter will then shift the "load" or weight, to your hip belt, relieving stress on your shoulder. The false dichotomy of hunting packs is that they have load lifters, but most hunting packs are built at shoulder level. This is because hunting packs are designed as more agile, less obtrusive packs than their trekking counterparts. Having a shoulder height higher than your shoulder will make it harder to work through trees or brush. So, they are designed lower.

Packs that have functional load lifters are the Badlands 2800, Eberlestock Destroyer (my favorite), Badlands Ox and 4500. Also packs by Kifaru, and Mystery Ranch.

http://www.hunthardcore1.com/store/search/products/category_backpacks/

Sponsor
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Postby Broken arrow » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 51]

outdoordan wrote:Load lifters, as www stated, need to have the attachment to the frame or pack higher than your shoulder level. In other words, the pack MUST come above the shoulder level. The angle isn't as important as how high above the shoulder it is (which will increase the angle). Pulling on the load lifter will then shift the "load" or weight, to your hip belt, relieving stress on your shoulder. The false dichotomy of hunting packs is that they have load lifters, but most hunting packs are built at shoulder level. This is because hunting packs are designed as more agile, less obtrusive packs than their trekking counterparts. Having a shoulder height higher than your shoulder will make it harder to work through trees or brush. So, they are designed lower.

Packs that have functional load lifters are the Badlands 2800, Eberlestock Destroyer (my favorite), Badlands Ox and 4500. Also packs by Kifaru, and Mystery Ranch.

http://www.hunthardcore1.com/store/search/products/category_backpacks/

Sponsor

Ya I noticed eberlestock uses the term load leveler not lifter. So most of there packs don't lift the load but simply align it vertically.
Broken arrow

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 52]

Hmm, the X2 lifts a load pretty good! I can adjust it to comfort for daypack or raise it to the top for elk quarters with no issues!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Miller1 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 53]

I have posted this pic on another forum but ill post it here, i am 6' with the 20"torso and my Blue Widow is loaded and weighs 95 lbs, i have all the adjustments maxed but it does pretty well for this much weight.
uploadfromtaptalk1342315769463.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1342315769463.jpg (32.5 KiB) Viewed 78679 times
Miller1

First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller

Postby Mike Bolin » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 54]

Not had my x2 on a hunting trip yet, but I have used it as my "workout" pack. Nothing over a 40# bag of salt, but the pack seems to perform well for me. I am a touch under 6'2" and weigh in @ 250# and have no issues with the fit. Mike
Mike Bolin

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bolin

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 55]

Hey guys, welcome & thanks for the photo & comments!

It's good to hear the bigger guys comments on the X2 Pack, very interesting! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 56]

Miller: That's a great picture of load lifters doing what they are supposed to do.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Broken arrow » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 57]

Think I'll move my harness down a little more on my widow. I love my pack 50 lbs or less its like I'm not even wearing it. When I loaded 80lbs in it after about 2 miles I started getting that ache in the neck and didn't seem to matter what I did.
Broken arrow

Postby Lefty » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 58]

My day pack is a 10 year old Crooked Horn
Still works fine, doesnt have some of the nice features some of the new packs, adjusted and buckled up it fits and rides well. Easy on and off
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Ridgernr » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 59]

RealUnlucky if you want to sell the X2 I might be interested>
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby HurricaneHuge » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 60]

I appreciate all the feedback on the X2 for the bigger guys, and ElkNut thanks for going the extra mile once again. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be headed the Blue Widow route. Dad got a wild hair and decided camping a mile or 2 back is what he wants to do. I know I could do a few days in an X2 for myself, but I'll probably have way more than I need packed to make sure I've got everything he needs covered.
HurricaneHuge

Postby foxvalley » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 61]

It seems that most guys are using their daypack as the meat pack also. I have a sitka daypack, but I use my freighterframe with the pack taken off for meat hauling. (Alaskan backpack)Anybody else using the freighter frame?
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby planebow » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 62]

I have a freighter frame that I leave in camp. Will bring first load out with my X2 and go back with the freighter frame to bring out the rest.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Swede » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 63]

I use a Badlands Superday pack for daily use and an Alaska frame with sack as a freighter. They seem to work fine. I just wish that an elk quarter felt lighter on the frame pack, but they seem to get heavier every year.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Goneelkn » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 64]

Swede wrote:I use a Badlands Superday pack for daily use and an Alaska frame with sack as a freighter. They seem to work fine. I just wish that an elk quarter felt lighter on the frame pack, but they seem to get heavier every year.

Could just shoot smaller elk! :lol:
Goneelkn

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 65]

My MR Crew Cab is both! I keep my load cells in my tent during the day and have my day pack and pack frame with me at all times.

I personally didn't see any benefit of needing to separate packs for my backcountry hunts. As the weight difference between a good Frame Hauler and my MR CC naked is about 1.5lbs.

My MR CC contains everything, that I would carry in my daypack I want with me at a all times while hiking, hunting and the like. This allows me to have my daypack with me while hauling quarters! This provides a level of comfort knowing that I have everything I need in case of an emergency, hunger craving, finding water to refill all reservoirs, First-Aid kit and many other things that may arise.
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 66]

I'm with you Windedbowhunter! All my daily needs are in the wing pockets which are tucked in, and outside front pocket of my Mystery Ranch CrewCab. This leaves the inner load hauling compartment empty and ready for elk meat all the time.
>>>---WW---->

Postby outdoordan » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 67]

If you are looking for an X2 pack, or any pack by eberle or badlands. Let me know. I will discount for you elknut forum users!

http://www.hunthardcore1.com/store/main/
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Postby bowhunterty » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 68]

Just got the Tenzing 5000 to use this year for bivy hunts. Use a Sitka Bivy 30 as my daypack and may use it for or an overnighter.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed